Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

According to the Pittsburgh Business Times, PNC might be preparing to buy a bunch of RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) branches in the South. RBC has over 400 branches in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. PNC has a large footprint gap along the Atlantic seaboard between Fredericksburg, VA and Daytona Beach, FL. This is why there's been a lot of speculation that PNC's next big move would be into the South. Aside from a few dozen locations in Florida, PNC's footprint extends from New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC west to Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Louis. Their northernmost branches are scattered in northern lower Michigan, and their southernmost branches are scattered in Kentucky. If PNC purchases these RBC branches in the South, then the only places east of the Mississippi River without PNC will be Tennessee, Mississippi, upstate New York and New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Very nice fit for them, but I think RBC has a lot of junk to deal with (they were big in commercial real estate). PNC has a good record dealing with that issue, but obviously the bottomline is how much this costs them.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:16 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Not sure why they would want to go to a state with such trouble like Florida. Hope the deals they make are very sweet upfront. Florida is a mess in so many ways.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not sure why they would want to go to a state with such trouble like Florida. Hope the deals they make are very sweet upfront. Florida is a mess in so many ways.
That's often the best time to go in. After the crash when the only way is up.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And a bank that has grown out of a base in Pittsburgh likely understands that pretty well.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Hence my business savvy suggestion of a very sweet deal upfront.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:54 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
If RBC sells out, I'm closing my accounts. They already bought up our local-based bank. I'm sick of all the mergers and buyouts. If I want a loan, I want it approved by somebody at least in my state, not in another country.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Pnc already has a Florida presence...this purchase connects their northern presence with Florida by adding all the states in between. Perhaps as interestingly is what might happen to Raleigh's new rbc offices. For the past few decades Carolina has been on the right end of acquisitions...that's changed dramatically since 2008...at least in banking.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Shame in a way that Mellon made some bad decisions over the past 10 years. The horrible tax return dumping scandal when someone thought the best way to deal with falling behind on processing tax returns was to lose or destroy 40,000 tax returns. Mellon not only lost the business but was fined for millions.

Then they sold off their bank branches to Citizens to focus on high-end banking. Mellon later merged with the Bank of New York and the headquarters moved to NYC.

If Mellon had just been a bit patient, and hopefully was not leveraged heavily in mortgage backed loans, they might have been able to get Wachovia. Mellon had made a bid for CoreStates but CoreStates instead merged with First Union which later merged with Wachovia. If Mellon had played their cards as well as PNC, Pittsburgh could have had two major bank headquarters.

Mellon just disappoints, along with Andrew Mellon who put his Pittsburgh based fortune to build the National Gallery of Art for....Washington DC.
And his son Paul Mellon forgot his Pittsburgh roots too. Thank goodness for Richard King Mellon.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 PM
gg

Reuters: PNC to buy RBC unit for $3.45 billion - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh