Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM

285 posts, read 861,635 times

Advertisements

My roommate and I arrived back in Pittsburgh last night to a "warning" sign on our doorknob that we had violated Pittsburgh City Code 619. I googled it and came up with this website:

Recycling

I also skimmed over the code itself and it said an initial violation would have a minimum cost of $50 and $500 for repeat violations! For putting junk mail in the garbage!? Has anyone else had a similar warning? Has anyone actually been written up for this? I'm all for recycling, but to make it mandatory, and attach a $500 dollar fine - seems pretty ridiculous to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
The link explained their justification. Recycling provides a financial benefit for the City, and therefore failing to recycle ultimately imposes an avoidable financial burden on the City's other stakeholders.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
I'd never heard of that ordinance actually being enforced.

Do you put out any blue bags at all? I love how easy the city makes it to recycle, and what I put out for recycling is generally twice as much as what I put out for trash.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 AM

264 posts, read 492,198 times
I recently moved into the city and I feel like I'm one of the only ones on my street that does recycle. I always notice trash bags with cans and bottles inside mixed with garbage. I wish the city would start handing out more of these notices, I was unaware that they enforced it at all.

Junk mail is a little different story though..is there any way to opt out of receiving it? It's such a waste and I often throw it straight in the trash as well. If the city truly cared about junk mail going to landfills they'd come up with an easy way to opt out of receiving it in the first place!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Junk mail is a little different story though..is there any way to opt out of receiving it? It's such a waste and I often throw it straight in the trash as well. If the city truly cared about junk mail going to landfills they'd come up with an easy way to opt out of receiving it in the first place!
But you can recycle it. I've got a paper bag under the table inside my front door--I dump junk mail, newspapers, flyers, catalogs, old magazines, etc in it, and every other week it goes out to the curb with the other recycling.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM

598 posts, read 747,670 times
Your name and address on junk mail is how they know that it was you. Either be creative or start recycling. I'd suggest the latter.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Mandatory recycling is the norm most places these days. Heck, Pittsburgh has had mandatory recycling for the entire 20 years I've lived here. It's nothing new.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,201,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanpioneer View Post
your name and address on junk mail is how they know that it was you. Either be creative or start recycling. I'd suggest the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlo guthrie's "alice's resturaunt"

...well we got there and there was a big sign and a chain across across the dump saying, "closed on thanksgiving." and we had never heard of a dump closed on thanksgiving before, and with tears in our eyes we drove off into the sunset looking for another place to put the garbage.

We didn't find one. Until we came to a side road, and off the side of the side road there was another fifteen foot cliff and at the bottom of the cliff there was another pile of garbage. And we decided that one big pile is better than two little piles, and rather than bring that one up we decided to throw our's down.

That's what we did, and drove back to the church, had a thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, went to sleep and didn't get up until the next morning, when we got a phone call from officer obie. He said, "kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any information about it." and i said, "yes, sir, officer obie, i cannot tell a lie, i put that envelope under that garbage."

Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
The city does not offer blue bins to homes or recycle bins in public yet people wonder why everyone isn't recycling.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:30 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate88 View Post
My roommate and I arrived back in Pittsburgh last night to a "warning" sign on our doorknob that we had violated Pittsburgh City Code 619. I googled it and came up with this website:

Recycling

I also skimmed over the code itself and it said an initial violation would have a minimum cost of $50 and $500 for repeat violations! For putting junk mail in the garbage!? Has anyone else had a similar warning? Has anyone actually been written up for this? I'm all for recycling, but to make it mandatory, and attach a $500 dollar fine - seems pretty ridiculous to me.

My in-laws got one of those a couple of weeks back. I am guessing that someone in power has decided to make a push for people to recycle more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh