Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It was nice you took the time to post these. Wish there was a way I could work a deal with the city. Take the properties over and renovate them and sell them. Then they could enjoy the taxes collected when they sell.

If anyone knows if that is possible, I am all ears. If anyone knows who I can call to take some of there properties off their hands and renovate them, I will call. I could have done two of those homes and would have them done in a few months. They could have been nice.
I was told by the city Real Estate office that I would need to contact the actual owners of the homes, and buy the houses from them. If you are serious, I would try contacting the owners at the addresses provided on the Allegheny County Assessment site. For example, I know based on my research that at least one of the owners of these three houses on Boyle paid their 2011 taxes... Which means you might be able to contact them (I wonder if they know their house is on the demolition list?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I was told by the city Real Estate office that I would need to contact the actual owners of the homes, and buy the houses from them. If you are serious, I would try contacting the owners at the addresses provided on the Allegheny County Assessment site. For example, I know based on my research that at least one of the owners of these three houses on Boyle paid their 2011 taxes... Which means you might be able to contact them (I wonder if they know their house is on the demolition list?).
I have never dabbled in this lower end stuff much, but it seems to me if I can get a property off the city for nothing and get it back on the tax books in a renovated condition, it is a win/win. My guess is this cannot be done for some stupid reason. I mean the city would benefit, but that would mean someone has to be able to think rationally in some of these departments in the city.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,304 times
I would imagine that while they don't look that bad on the outside there is some actual financial-black-hole problem with them.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:16 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Jeez this whole process by the city is sketchy. They can demolish it, but they can't sell it? From the point of view of the property owner those might as well be the same thing! Who owns the vacant lot after the demolition?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Jeez this whole process by the city is sketchy. They can demolish it, but they can't sell it? From the point of view of the property owner those might as well be the same thing! Who owns the vacant lot after the demolition?
When I lived in Sharsburg they condemned two homes on my street and tore them down. I know the owners of the homes still own the land because I wanted to buy one of the lots. I guess if the property becomes a nuisance they can tear them down, but they cannot sell them. That is my guess. Therefore, my plan can't happen now that I think about it. Oh well, I would love to take over these crumbling homes and fix them up and make a buck. Would be great, but not going to happen.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM

Assuming the process to "fix them up" wouldn't be just as expensive as building a new house, of course.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
When I lived in Sharsburg they condemned two homes on my street and tore them down. I know the owners of the homes still own the land because I wanted to buy one of the lots. I guess if the property becomes a nuisance they can tear them down, but they cannot sell them. That is my guess. Therefore, my plan can't happen now that I think about it. Oh well, I would love to take over these crumbling homes and fix them up and make a buck. Would be great, but not going to happen.

This just seems like a backwards process to me. At that rate, the whole city is going to be razed eventually, as home owners die or move and fail to maintain property. The more I think about it, the more I'm glad I don't live in the city after all. Imagine paying $250,000 for a renovated house in the North Side and watching as houses connected to yours are being razed by the city. I'm glad I live in McKees Rocks. Nothing ever gets torn down over here. lol

It seems the only way to prevent these kinds of awful demolitions, and the erosions of neighborhoods, is to make the area a city historic district. This prevents demolitions to an extent. That is why the South Side still looks intact.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM

You can't keep the old forever just because it's old. Eventually, even things that are taken care of well need to be retired as they start costing more and more, more frequently.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM

I realize that, Mein, however demolitions of row-houses in historic neighborhoods destroys home values and the appearance of the neighborhood in general. Have you ever seen a row of houses where there are gaps because homes have been torn down? It looks horrible.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Assuming the process to "fix them up" wouldn't be just as expensive as building a new house, of course.
if the interior is in bad shape, you are getting a new house with an old facade. still, that would be privately financed rather than publicy demolished. add to that it's usually cheaper to rehab, or at least, cheaper upfront if the homes can be rehabbed in phases whereas a new home requires a larger loan all at once. sure, you can't keep the old because it's old but you shouldn't knock it down just because you have some demolition dollars sitting around either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh