Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 AM

440 posts, read 549,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I've noticed the slight buzz about Greensburg lately. I've always thought downtown Greesnburg had a really great look to it, a dense collection of interesting old buildings with good bones. Factor in the local small colleges (Seton Hill & Pitt-G-burg), good local schools, decent healthcare system, and commute to Pittsburgh (long for me but many do it) and its got a lot going for it. Add the potential of a transit line to Pittsburgh and it would be a slam dunk.

Seton Hill (IMHO) is transforming Greensburg in a major way. Colleges bring youth & money (along with professors money) ... I am impressed by the influx of higher end food places, (undoubtably some will fail) The nightlife is somewhat still weak, college age crowd takes over for the most part.

I am currently looking to locate closer to Pittsburgh, due to the face most of my social life resides there, however with a Transit Line --- I would almost for certain stick in the area to see the progess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pennsylvania was the epicenter of American industrial collapse during the 1980's, and remained in the shadows of the collapse during the 1990's. Economic restructuring doesn't happen overnight, nor does recovery after such a severe economic shock. (There's a difference between cyclical and structural job losses.) During the 2000's, the state began to make up for lost time, and was one of the few states in the U.S. that was better off during the 2000's than during the 1990's.
Pennsylvania's woes go back further than that, to the collapse of coal after WWI. indeed, the industrial collapse was hard on the Keystone state which probably didn't respond well either. that said, I agree, structural changes can take decades to play out both in terms of changing trends and demographics.
I can see Brian preparing for that wilkinsburg commuter stop now

Old 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM

101 posts, read 218,485 times
Believe it or not Hempfield Twp and Ligonier is really starting to boom and Greensburg is really benefiting from that.

You’d be surprised by the amount of artist that is moving in to the Ligonier area.

Hell, great views from ordinary homes. 3-4 state parks in the area. Some great rails to trails bike trails. Twin Lakes is expanding its facilities big time too. They’re opening an outdoor skating rink this winter as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
I spent a lot of time in Greensburg back in the 80's, had a frat brother that lived there, dated a woman there, and had some business calls in that area. Great place. Recently my wife have been attending concerts at the Palace Theatre, great venue. Love that you can park on the street and grab a drink next to the theatre. As mentioned, all the surrounding townships are doing well, which should help G-burg.

Unless they're soulless like Cranberry.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM

137 posts, read 274,659 times
I've only been to G-burg for their Turkey Trot at Thanksgiving, but I've always liked it. It's such a pretty town. I'm glad it's on the upswing instead of decline.

As far as Ligonier heating up, I think w/ the retiring population that area is getting more popular. My IL's were looking to build a small house out there and the house we put an offer in Mt. Lebo was a couple who had a house in Ligonier and were in process of retiring out there. It's a pretty area and not "built up" as my MIL would say. At least, not till all the baby boomers move out there.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
We go to Greensburg now and again and have enjoyed two restaurants there. It is pretty nice if you ask me.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
I've lived in Greensburg all my life and can say that the changes that are coming to town is definitely welcome. I believe the upscale establishments have moved here in response to the revitalization of Downtown Greensburg throughout the mid to late 1990's as well as the popularity of the Palace Theatre in addition to the SummerSounds outdoor music event that runs each weekend from June-August which attracts thousands of people downtown and uptown areas. We also have a nice American art museum which is in the process of expanding and doubling in size from its current 35,000 square foot footprint.

The major developments that have occurred in town have brought a renaissance of sorts downtown, from the Seton Hill Performing Arts Center to the 6-story Courthouse Extension and the 7-story State Office Building. I like that downtown has that dense feel with some buildings of moderate height especially around the courthouse but still preserves that historic look. There's also been talk of a new 5 or 6-story Hilton-branded hotel coming to Downtown Greensburg, on the corner of College and Otterman Streets.

Greensburg also has a stable economic base with the headquarters of Excela Health, West Penn Power and Relex Software Corporation which brings thousands of good paying jobs to the area. The colleges and universities also bring additional revenue and well paying jobs. I think the nightlife climate is lacking but when you consider that the Headkeeper's outdoor patio area gets packed to capacity with college students and the 21+ crowd each weekend and even during the weekdays, not to mention people frequenting J. Corks, One Eleven, Badges, Rialto's and so on, there's definitely something in the air. I think Greensburg has the potential to be a more "upscale" version of Indiana, PA although I think it will still be oriented more towards the middle age population rather than the college crowd.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 06-21-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post

As far as Ligonier heating up, I think w/ the retiring population that area is getting more popular. My IL's were looking to build a small house out there and the house we put an offer in Mt. Lebo was a couple who had a house in Ligonier and were in process of retiring out there. It's a pretty area and not "built up" as my MIL would say. At least, not till all the baby boomers move out there.
I'll agree about the boomers retiring out there.

Not to mention it's Pittsburgh's rich playground. When their putting up 1-2,3 million dollar homes up around the lakes. We do seem to have a lot of the 'back to nature' artist types too. You should see how the artist scene is just exploding out that way. A smart local art dealer should hit the Farmer's market or the Hertiage Fest. and collect cards.

Greensburg isn't that far from Pittsburgh. You can enjoy the lower taxes but it's close enough you can jump down town on the weekends in 40 minutes using the back ways if you want to do something.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
We go to Greensburg now and again and have enjoyed two restaurants there. It is pretty nice if you ask me.
If your out on Rt. 30 that way check out Delallo's Italian Market.

They have the BEST bakery. I think they're even better than Oakmont in couple of areas. Don't care for their cheesecake it's just too traditional Italian for my taste I perfer more NY but everything is good out there.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillsHollow View Post
If your out on Rt. 30 that way check out Delallo's Italian Market.

They have the BEST bakery. I think they're even better than Oakmont in couple of areas. Don't care for their cheesecake it's just too traditional Italian for my taste I perfer more NY but everything is good out there.
Sorry, but I have been there and they put pudding in their eclairs and cream puffs. The place is very much like Oakmont bakery. I like that store, but if you are used to old time scratch baked goods, you can't go there. When my French Baker retires in Millvale, I will have to bake everything myself. Hopefully by that time I will have that kind of time and it can be a hobby. Sorry for being a foodie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh