Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times

Advertisements

If we are going to go this route (charging taxes to cover infrastructure), why not just tax commuters for every township/borough they drive through on the way? Maybe toll all of these roads. I just don't buy the infrastructure argument. What about the city residents who work outside of town? How do we handle these cases? Consolidation is probably the answer but I don't see it happening any time in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
More taxes are definitely not the answer. Removal of corrupt politicians is. Honestly at this point I don't think it would matter who we would elect, Democrat or Republican as both are equally as corrupt just in different ways.

Also, with the talks in other threads about getting people to move back into the city the idea of "hey we're going to tax you more for just working here" is very off putting for people who may be thinking about moving to the city to be closer to work.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Sure why not have a NEW TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what we need, more new taxes. Lets just tax every breath you take and be done with it.

How about this. Cut spending and stop overpaying people.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM

28 posts, read 30,826 times
ha...
3.4985% wage tax for non-residents. Another reason to never move to that crappy corner of the state to try and find a job.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:16 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sure why not have a NEW TAX!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what we need, more new taxes. Lets just tax every breath you take and be done with it.

Or maybe we can stop sending ambulances and firetrucks out to suburbanites who come to visit and get in trouble.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Pittsburghers created their financial mess, not people from the suburbs.
This is a good example of how people get silly about jurisdictions.

The City's legacy costs are really mostly the result of decisions made many, many years ago. As a result, many current residents of Pittsburgh had nothing in particular to do with any of that. Conversely, there are people living in the suburbs who were actually voting residents of the City at that time.

In short, people do things, not jurisdictions. And the people in these jurisdictions now are not the same as the people in these jurisdictions at the relevant times.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Obviously this is going to degrade into another pointless bout of name-calling, but for the record:

State law sharply limits the options available to PA cities with large legacy costs. In fact, certain programs actually punish cities for attempting to moderate their costs. That is not to say there is nothing the City could be doing to improve its efficiency or deal better with its legacy costs--there are always things that can be done.

But once again, there isn't a magic button available which the City can push and make all its legacy costs go away, in large part because the state won't let the City have such a button.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
If they were ever to deem a tax necessary, the lesser evil would probably be some sort of commuter/congestion tax. Refund the flat tax to those individuals who use public transportation of a regular basis. Use a large portion of this tax to help fund PAT. I'd hope this would only be done after PAT went through some serious reform, which will probably not be happening anytime soon.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:31 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

It depends how you look at it and how it exactly it would be implemented. Say the city lowers the resident's taxes at the same time that they impose a tax on non-residents. They could do this in such a way that they receive the same amount of tax revenue, but the tax burden would be spread out more fairly. Though to be honest, I think the political backlash would not be worth it to most politicians if they weren't also bringing in more revenue to the city, so I think it is unlikely that resident's tax rates would be cut if this were implemented.

To be clear, I'm not necessarily advocating a commuter tax like this. But, I think it is interesting that I never even hear the option discussed, even though it could be a very quick fix for the city's financial troubles.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Or maybe we can stop sending ambulances and firetrucks out to suburbanites who come to visit and get in trouble.
We have volunteers for fire. Don't know about ambulance, but I believe if you have to be picked up in one you have to pay the fee, which will no doubt be insanely high because the cost shifting that would take place because the tons of inner city people that are always getting shot and have no insurance to pay anything.

I think there is enough cost shifting going on. My son's lunch is $2 a day because we have to chip in for the poor kids. Everything the middle class does is shifted to them because the rich don't pay taxes either. It is getting old.

For anyone that even asks, "I wonder if we should have a new tax for...? Here is an idea. Take your idea and stick it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh