Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Personally, I believe the reason people say we are over taxed is what we actually get from our tax dollars. Awful schools, roads and sidewalks that look post-war, corrupt police, fire departments who rely on volunteers, laughable transportation, and trash filled landscapes. The question for isn't why are taxes high (because comparatively they aren't horrid) but it's what do our taxes actually do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Again, I think some form of consolidation is necessary.
Assuming that is impossible, I wonder if the CONNECT group could work out an approach. It would be a big, controversial issue, but in theory it seems like a reasonable task for them.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Personally, I believe the reason people say we are over taxed is what we actually get from our tax dollars. Awful schools, roads and sidewalks that look post-war, corrupt police, fire departments who rely on volunteers, laughable transportation, and trash filled landscapes. The question for isn't why are taxes high (because comparatively they aren't horrid) but it's what do our taxes actually do?
That plus how the tax burden is distributed has changed. We've got all these loopholes and exemptions and credits and work-arounds and so on, and so some very high-income entities (people, corporations, non-profits, and so on) are paying a lot lower average rate than some lower-income entities, and some lower-income entities are sometimes facing higher marginal rates than some higher-income entities.

The problem is to solve all that, you have to be willing to do some things that taken alone would raise revenues, such that that you can lower overall rates. And as we have seen in this thread, there are people who reflexively oppose such tax reform efforts.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That plus how the tax burden is distributed has changed. We've got all these loopholes and exemptions and credits and work-arounds and so on, and so some very high-income entities (people, corporations, non-profits, and so on) are paying a lot lower average rate than some lower-income entities, and some lower-income entities are sometimes facing higher marginal rates than some higher-income entities.

The problem is to solve all that, you have to be willing to do some things that taken alone would raise revenues, such that that you can lower overall rates. And as we have seen in this thread, there are people who reflexively oppose such tax reform efforts.
Nice that you restate what I said earlier. Guess you fully agree the rich are not paying taxes and the middle class gets killed.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey man_its me View Post
Yep, more taxes, that is ALWAYS the answer....
Not always. Sometimes the answer is mass expropriation.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's a tricky balance. Some cities do have commuter taxes, but impose that here where there's never been one and it could cause some businesses to purposely relocate outside the city limits to avoid it. Off the top of my head that would be the main drawback.
That might happen, especially if a business had already been on the fence about relocating.

I can see a company presenting a relocation for a reason like this as some sort of new employee benefit. As in "sure we had to reduce your health care. But tell ya what, we'll move so you don't have to pay those new taxes. After all our employees are our biggest asset..."

Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Note I do not support this:
But, wouldnt the easiest way to implement a so called commuter tax in a way to have significant intake to charge all commuters a 3% wage tax (which city residents pay), then allow a deduction of whatever the percentage they pay to their own locality.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,429 times
This is a tiring subject. Pittsburgh always wants more money because the people it employs (mayor, city council) simply don't know how to grow a tax base and can't balance a budget. Many many cities exist without taxing commuters. Some of the largest and fastest growing cities in the US don't tax commuters - yet they manage. Of course you'll get 1,000 excuses why Pittsburgh can't manage without a commuter tax...

Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I've long wondered why myself that I'm paying roughly 3.5% of my income in wage taxes because I live and work in the city while someone living in Cranberry Township who works in the city pays nothing. Why not reduce it to 1.75% and then make it a universal tax on ALL who work within the city boundaries, regardless of their residency?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Should Pittsburgh tax non-residents who work in the city?

Only if we are allowed to vote those stupid Dems out of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh