Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,889 times

Advertisements

What are some fun places to visit during the week at night? Bars, Clubs, Lounges? Be sure to describe the scene and attire please. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Bar-hop in the South Side. Scene: young people getting their drink on. Attire: yes, you probably should have some.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,524,460 times
Carson Street is really your only option on Mon-Wed nights.

Scene ranges from 21 year old college kids to 30 year old young professionals. Best to wear jeans and a decent shirt.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Carson Street is really your only option on Mon-Wed nights.
Walnut and Ellsworth are dead? I don't think so. Around Oakland is dead? Also there are lots of suburbs that have plenty of activity during the weekdays. Lawrenceville isn't dead on weekdays either.

Some people don't get out much. Tons of local places all over the place are busy most nights. Maybe not like it used to be a few years back before the huge drink tax, but they are still not dead.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Walnut and Ellsworth are dead? I don't think so. Around Oakland is dead? Also there are lots of suburbs that have plenty of activity during the weekdays. Lawrenceville isn't dead on weekdays either.

Some people don't get out much. Tons of local places all over the place are busy most nights. Maybe not like it used to be a few years back before the huge drink tax, but they are still not dead.
I didn't say those areas are "dead". To be frank though, Walnut street does die pretty early in the evening, especially on weekdays. I have been living in Oakland for 4 and a half years, so I'm very familiar with the nightlife there. Thursday-Saturday nights, most places will be packed during the school year, and fairly crowded during the summer. Weeknights can be pretty quiet in Oakland though, especially in summertime. Hemingways is sometimes an exception, because it draws a pretty decent older crowd in summer on the weeknights.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,844 times
Pittsburgh functions more like a real city in that in tends to be quiet during weeknights. It is better than it used to be in select neighborhoods as opposed to a few years ago. This is not NYC or Miami where there are thousands and thousands of tourists milling around 365 days a year to provide business for bars and nightclubs. People have to get up and go to work or class in the morning in Pittsburgh during the week. That is why people should not be shocked to see things pretty dead late on a Monday Night. On weekends, especially in the summer, there are countless things to do and various neighborhoods with vibrant activity. As long as medical, education, and high tech continue to be the primary engine in Pittsburgh's economy as opposed to tourism, people are always going to have to get up early the next morning. This will limit the amount of people on the streets as opposed to Las Vegas. Of course, not everybody works 9-5 Monday thru Friday. People who work in the service industry may have weedays off. These are the one who can be seen along with the trust funders out and about on weeknights.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 06-20-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 PM

780 posts, read 1,385,658 times
Back in the day, I used to hang at Doc's on Walnut St. in Shadyside on Wednesday nights.

Lava Lounge in the South Side was usually good on Tuesday nights.

Forget which night was wing night at Kaibs on Mt. Washington.

But, I have been out of "the game" going on 8 yrs now.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 PM

59 posts, read 129,818 times
nuwaver88,

I completely disagree with the "real city" aspect. I take it you've never actually been to Miami. I'm from there. Sure, it's more crazy on the weekends, but things still go on weekdays. You can't limit you're Miami experience to South Beach. Locals don't go there. Pgh is more a city then Miami will ever be. Density & distinct neighborhoods are two things South Florida will never have. Here, there are more then a fair amount of medically trained people that work shiftwork and live in the dense neighborhoods which are out during the week. Add in the entire service industry, and you'll have a good time. A Tues/Weds drunk can be just as great as the weekend!

OP,

Now, I can hardly think of anywhere that is as busy during the week as during the weekend. But, there are plenty of places that you can still head to and have a great time. What neighborhoods do you plan on visiting, what exactly are you looking for? There are plenty of bars which have a nice 'hang out and drink' vibe all around the city, but probably the only 'club' I can think of weekdays would be Zen in Station Square.

A very short list of places with weekday "specials" that I've tended to frequent:

Margaritaville on Southside, 25 cent beers and karaoke every Wed
Tiki Lounge... drink bingo on Tuesdays.
Bloomfield Bridge Tavern - Drum & Bass Wednesdays, $1+tax beers til midnight (if you're into that)
Shady Grove - Wednesday wine night... half price bottles of wine (though its really become way too crowded)
Harris Grill/Shiloh Grill - Tuesday is bacon night. Just go. Its funny.

Just about anywhere that is open during the week in this city will be a good time weekdays. Head on in to wherever, if you like it, you like it, if not, move on to the next one. Not like this city is lacking in bars!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,633,536 times
Aside from South Side, go to Oakland, Bloomfield, Shadyside and Lawrenceville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh