Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,121 times

Advertisements

I worked at Blockbuster in Pittsburgh, Pa.. I had to move 25 miles away but still came to work for 2 more months, but just couldn't afford to pay someone to bring me anymore. I had no vehicle. I gave 2 weeks notice and quit. Two months later the store went out of business. Blockbuster fought unemployment. Unemployment said that even though I HAD a 'nessecitous and compelling reason', I didn't 'exhaust all my alternatives'. I filed an appeal and haven't got a hearing date yet. Anybody know what other alternatives I might not have thought of? Anybody have any info about the hearing? Please help! I did everything I could think of to stay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKat View Post
I gave 2 weeks notice and quit.
That's where you messed up man. Getting unemployment now will be next to impossible.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
You moved on your own and then quit on your own. Why should they pay you unemployment?

Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM

802 posts, read 1,321,364 times
Sorry to say but unless things have changed, you cannot collect unemployment if you resign or quit on your own.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,121 times
They determined I HAD a 'neccessitous and compelling' reason to move. They are ok that I moved. They just said I didn't 'exhaust all my alternatives' before I did. I was interested in someone that knew about unemployment to give me some information on what to present at the hearing that maybe I haven't thought of. Thank you.
Facts... no buses late at night (they wouldn't let me work days), taxi was tooo expensive, I even thought about a store closer to the new house, but the next store was the exact same mileage (just a different direction). I actually paid someone to drive me but it ended up costing me more than I made for the 4 hours I worked per day. Our store didn't have a manager to speak with and I asked the DM if I could work only 1 day a week to stay on the payroll but they said the policy was no less then 2 days a week (but there were many weeks they only scheduled me for 1 day). They cut hours (because of bankruptcy and impending closings) so I couldn't even get many hours. What else could I have done? I was paying someone $30 to drive me (for fuel), and was only bringing home $25.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,708 times
Sounds like a crappy situation, no useful advice but good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh