Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times

Advertisements

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing a few pictures of Erie, our neighbor to the north (and the 4th largest city in PA). I visited Erie over the weekend, and have sunburn on my legs to prove that I spent most of the day on the beach.

Erie was more urban and historic than I expected. The downtown reminded me of Flint, Michigan, although was more historic (and it certainly doesn't have the crime Flint has). The great thing about Erie is that all of the core city neighborhoods seem easily walkable to downtown. It's flat and on a grid, and Lake Erie and its beaches are right there. There is a fabulous historic district on W. 6th Street, which I did not have time to photograph. All I'm going to say about it is "Millionaire's Row." This is condensed down from 133 photos to what I feel is essential. Look for the rest on my blog when I get around to posting them (I feel lazy).

I definitely recommend a trip to Erie. The beaches were beautiful, the water was just warm enough for swimming (barely, though), and the downtown and its neighborhoods are nice to walk around and explore. The city has a welcoming, comfortable vibe.

One of many mansions in the W. 6th St. Historic District.

"The Cashier's House," circa 1830s.

Early and mid-19th century homes are scattered around the downtown.

This was the restaurant we ate at downtown, "Pufferbelly." The food and atmosphere were amazing.

Mansion built in 1862.

The man in this picture told us that he was "not homeless, just moving," and kindly offered to take our picture.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-26-2011 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Nice pix. Not surprised the water is still cold; Mom says it's been raining a lot.

Ask to have this moved to the general Pennsylvania forum, where more people might see them. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Don't know much about Erie. But my impression from Google maps is that I'm surprised they don't "embrace" the lake more. Not a lot of development right along the lake. Same for Cleveland.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Erie always reminds me of a Great Lakes town more than a Southwest PA town.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,607 times
I worked in Erie forecasting the weather for three years and really liked the city quite a bit. I lived downtown on State Street in a penthouse condo.. Great views of the bay and open lake. Would take a five minute walk with my spinning rod in the eve and catch 2-4 pound smallmouth bass. Lake effect snows south of I-90 and summer thunderstorms made the local climate quite fun to forecast. Great minor league baseball park right downtown and a host of out door venues make the town fun. despite my love for the burgh and being a native burgher, I have a big warm spot for Erie... Hope GE locomotive continues to be a strong story up there.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I worked in Erie forecasting the weather for three years and really liked the city quite a bit. I lived downtown on State Street in a penthouse condo.. Great views of the bay and open lake. Would take a five minute walk with my spinning rod in the eve and catch 2-4 pound smallmouth bass. Lake effect snows south of I-90 and summer thunderstorms made the local climate quite fun to forecast. Great minor league baseball park right downtown and a host of out door venues make the town fun. despite my love for the burgh and being a native burgher, I have a big warm spot for Erie... Hope GE locomotive continues to be a strong story up there.
That must have been a fun place to be a meteorologist lol!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Erie always reminds me of a Great Lakes town more than a Southwest PA town.
LOL...........there's a good reason for that.......

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
LOL...........there's a good reason for that.......
Indeed, but it goes beyond just the presence of the lake--I'm also thinking in terms of the built environment and (from my admittedly limited experience) the culture.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Thanks for sharing your trip. The little downtown is nice.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
As much as there is to love about living in the City of Pittsburgh, there's lots I miss about Erie. My mother had her knee replaced in late March, and as we were leaving Hamot Hospital (whoops, now UPMC Hamot), we drove up State Street at 4pm and said to my wife, "now this is rush hour". A much more calm rush hour than we are used to here.

Lots of great memories living in the city. Erie has a miniature PNC Park called Jerry Uht Park, which is a great place to see a ball game.
The architecture on 6th Street and also on West 10th Street is something to behold. Presque Isle State park of course is the gem of Erie County. So many great things, but so many locals with the mind set that they live in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh