Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 15,276 times

Advertisements

My husband likes mount lebanon with it's more urban feel, I prefer the more suburban feel with the newer schools and larger yards. Are there any comments about the comparison between the two school districts? I am partial to a smaller school district. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbjeep View Post
My husband likes mount lebanon with it's more urban feel, I prefer the more suburban feel with the newer schools and larger yards. Are there any comments about the comparison between the two school districts? I am partial to a smaller school district. Thanks
You can't go wrong with either district. I don't think anyone here is going offer anything to help you make the decision.

FYI - I wouldn't call either Mt. Lebo or Peters a small school district.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 AM

398 posts, read 702,237 times
Both will be excellent.

Do you prefer a smaller district, or just smaller schools/smaller classes?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,577 times
One thing to beware of is that Mt. Lebanon School District does not offer bus transportation. Students either have to walk or catch rides to school. Peters, on the other hand, does have school bus transportation.

Unless you are a stay-at-home parent, I would imagine that having to drive your kids to school could be a hassle. That is unless you live within walking distance to Mt. Lebo schools. Its more urban layout enables this, where as you can't get anywhere in Peters without a car.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Sounds to me like it is going to come down to which of the two of you gets the feel they want.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbjeep View Post
They are both very good school districts. Mt. Lebanon is one of the biggest school districts in the South Hills, along with Bethel Park. So, it's pretty big. Peters Twp is also large, but similar size to Upper St. Clair. Large, but not extremely large. If you really want a small district, consider South Fayette.

Are schools the only thing you're considering? You realize that Peters Twp is in Washington County, which is going to be much different regarding property taxes than a home in Mt. Lebanon, which is in Allegheny County, right? Check out the millage rates for both townships and review your price range. You might be saving a fair amount in Peters Twp over Mt. Lebanon.

Also, the two places are very different culture-wise. I don't live in either, so this is 2nd hand info, but I'm told by several people that live in Peters that it is very conservative, including the school district, school board, etc. Be prepared to join the country club and vote GOP to fit in. Mt. Lebanon is a bit more liberal. It certainly isn't like Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, but for a suburb it is more liberal than most.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
$3621 per $100K is the tax in Mt. Lebo. I don't know the tax in Peters because they don't have any very good websites.

Both places are nice. If you want a walkable downtown Mt. Lebanon is the obvious choice. If you want your kids to walk to school which I think it better than a bus, Mt. Lebo is a better choice if you live close enough to the schools. Peters is nice as well. I sometimes attend a church down there and it is one of my favorite congregations. I wish it was closer because I would be a member.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post

Also, the two places are very different culture-wise. I don't live in either, so this is 2nd hand info, but I'm told by several people that live in Peters that it is very conservative, including the school district, school board, etc. Be prepared to join the country club and vote GOP to fit in. Mt. Lebanon is a bit more liberal. It certainly isn't like Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, but for a suburb it is more liberal than most.
I would second this. I think that Mt. Lebanon is also bit more diverse than Peters. That probably lends to it being more liberal.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
$3621 per $100K is the tax in Mt. Lebo. I don't know the tax in Peters because they don't have any very good websites.
I didn't realize it was that high. Over $7k in taxes for a mediocre $200k house is just disgusting. I drive through Mt.Lebo everyday for work and it's nice, but not THAT nice. Someone would have to be nuts to pay those kinds of taxes. There are plenty of good school districts that don't cost so much, like Hempfield, Seneca Valley, Franklin Regional, Mars, Peters Twp, etc. Mt. Lebo can keep their walkable neighborhood and lame coffee shops. Apparently, being progressive is quite expensive. Imagine that.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Just an aside, but the reason walkable places like Mt Lebanon are priced at a premium is that they are artificially scarce. And they are artificially scarce because of public policies and regulations. So those high prices are a side-effect of the policies and regulations that subsidize and otherwise encourage auto-centric sprawl and discourage (and sometimes prohibit) walkable developments.

And yes, this is an example of governments distorting the natural market outcome, to ill effect. But many (albeit not all) of the usual anti-government suspects tend to ignore this particular example because it happens to favor their preferred lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh