Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times

Advertisements

The recent post on "The Digs" about Dante Tex Gill The Digs: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette | Dec. 16, 1984: *The complex and tough*Dante reminded me that there were at least three Tambellini's Restaurants downtown: this one on Liberty, the one on Seventh, and the one next to Point Park on Wood St. Was there another one?
Also, I was trying to think about where all the other ones were: On Route 51, in Bridgeville (still there), there was one on Carson St (the owner fancied himself an artist and the walls were covered with his paintings!), and wasn't there one on Mount Washington? Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
The recent post on "The Digs" about Dante Tex Gill The Digs: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette | Dec. 16, 1984: *The complex and tough*Dante reminded me that there were at least three Tambellini's Restaurants downtown: this one on Liberty, the one on Seventh, and the one next to Point Park on Wood St. Was there another one?
Also, I was trying to think about where all the other ones were: On Route 51, in Bridgeville (still there), there was one on Carson St (the owner fancied himself an artist and the walls were covered with his paintings!), and wasn't there one on Mount Washington? Any others?
Were they ever any good? I only ever made it to the one on 7th and it was so bad that it was almost comical.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:04 PM

338 posts, read 446,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post

I believe the Tambellini's on Bryant St in Highland Park is the only Tambellini restaurant remaining. I have been there once and I enjoyed it.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Were they ever any good? I only ever made it to the one on 7th and it was so bad that it was almost comical.
I was never at the one on Wood nor the one on Liberty; had been to the one on 51 and in Bridgeville with older family members, so there is that; back in the early 1980s (), we ate at the Carson Street one pretty frequently because it was cheap (also ate at Dee's, there was an all-you-can eat salad bar!). Oh, yeah, and went to the Seventh Avenue one once with another older family member. The zucchini strips were pretty good, but I don't remember what else I might have had.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
what this place needs is a carls jr. no, not hardees they are NOT the same thing, trust me.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Tambellini's on 51 was built in 1981, it replaced Tambellini's on Southern Ave. and Sandwich on Mt. Washington.

The store on 51 was pretty huge and was successful when it opened and for a number of years, so a lot of people must have thought it was pretty good. I was surprised at the size of the building at 51 & Timberland during construction.

I think there was also a Tambellini's on East Carson where the LRT station is today, as well as the S. 23 & E. Carson.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
More on Brentwood's Nepali restaurant... can't wait to try it myself!

A Nepali restaurant opens here

Old 02-20-2014, 05:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
So which one is really first in the area:

Food Collage: Himalayas (Cranberry Township)

Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 AM

There was a Tibetan restaurant on Forbes in Oakland in the ?late 1990s? I never got a chance to go, but a firend who had lived in Nepal said he thought it was pretty authentic.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:50 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
I went to Alla Famiglia last night for the first time for a business meeting. Wow is that place amazing (and expensive)! Had the signature veal chop Milanese, which looked like something out of the Jurassic period but tasted something a little like heaven. Just so tender, rich and flavorful, and the portion was huge! We also had stuffed banana peppers and the calamari and shrimp appetizers. I would definitely go back on a special occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh