Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 08:52 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
That's good thinking! I'll have to run that by the girlfriend.
Go somewhere on the 13th! It's Friday the 13th!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
A few years ago my wife and I mutually decided to celebrate V-Day on whatever day during the week of the 14th we could get exactly the reservations we wanted at exactly the restaurant we wanted. Much less stress about what's essentially an artificial holiday (but one which you can't totally ignore).
February 13-15 are exceptionally busy days at my workplace, so it's expected to be "all hands on deck". As such my partner and I typically celebrate by going out some other night during the week. Since Tuesday is my normal day off I'm going to aim to make a dinner reservation either the preceding Tuesday night (February 10) or subsequent Tuesday night (February 17). The upside? The restaurants aren't nearly as cramped as they are on the 13th or 15th, much less the 14th. I'm "the man" in the relationship, so responsibility for vacations, reservations, holidays, etc. typically falls into my lap.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:52 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
February 13-15 are exceptionally busy days at my workplace, so it's expected to be "all hands on deck". As such my partner and I typically celebrate by going out some other night during the week. Since Tuesday is my normal day off I'm going to aim to make a dinner reservation either the preceding Tuesday night (February 10) or subsequent Tuesday night (February 17). The upside? The restaurants aren't nearly as cramped as they are on the 13th or 15th, much less the 14th. I'm "the man" in the relationship, so responsibility for vacations, reservations, holidays, etc. typically falls into my lap.
Really? My GF and I have a setup that works like this: she's the boss, I'm the bank. That means she handles picking vacations (usually gives me a couple of options), reservations, etc, and then I just pay. It works for us...split responsibility, in a way.

I am currently trying to her to accept beer and wings as a new valentines tradition. I figure total dive bars shouldn't be too packed. We'll see how that goes.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Had to laugh at this. My wife won't let me touch vacation plans. She never trusts me to find the best deal, make the best use of points, check out every review on every site to ensure no cockroach has ever set foot in the hotel, etc. etc. She's well aware I've lived for extended times in sketchy countries and my standards for "satisfaction" are a bit lower, lol.

Not to mention she vetoes 2/3rds of my restaurant recommendations. She used to eat most everything when we were first going out, but after a few trips in the past decade where I've chosen offal or something equally fringey, she tries to keep me away from anything that makes her squirm while watching me eat :-)

Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 PM

419 posts, read 446,052 times
Highbrow Magazine.."Pittsburgh Foodie Playground"http://www.popcitymedia.com/inthenews/highbrowinthenews_012115.aspx
http://www.popcitymedia.com/inthenew...ws_012115.aspx

Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Anyone been to The Commoner yet?

Old 01-23-2015, 07:13 AM

338 posts, read 446,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Anyone been to The Commoner yet?
I will be going tommorow, looking forward to it. Senti in Lawrenceville supposedly had their soft opening this week, has anyone been there as well?

Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
I'm putting this into the Foodies thread as I'm too lazy at the moment to search for the appropriate PLCB Complaints thread...

Shanken News Daily: Exclusive news and research on the wine, spirits and beer business

The PLCB has halted "special orders". So even if I wanted to do the paperwork to order my wonderful Zu vodka, they're not going to get it for me.

Stop the madness.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:41 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
I will be going tommorow, looking forward to it. Senti in Lawrenceville supposedly had their soft opening this week, has anyone been there as well?
Can't wait to read your report.

I'm also interested in Senti.

Went to San Lorenzo last night... thoroughly enjoyed my Bucatini all'amatriciana.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Can't wait to read your report.

I'm also interested in Senti.

Went to San Lorenzo last night... thoroughly enjoyed my Bucatini all'amatriciana.
I've loved everything I've had at San Lorenzo. Must try Senti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh