U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 PM

65 posts, read 128,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I ate at "Nola on the Square" in Market Square the other night. Great New Orleans/Cajun cuisine. Ate alligator for the first time LOL. I had cajun pork chops which was out of this world. A must try for everyone!
If they have it there, try some Boudain..... It's fantastic, but of course I get it in New Orleans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 AM

7,422 posts, read 14,193,019 times
i went to root 174 recently, i was only semi-impressed.

i am vegan and while it is awesome that they had an appetizer, entree and dessert that i could eat without alteration, only the appetizer (curried grilled cauliflower) was really amazing. and it was AMAZING - smoky and sweet and spicy and delicious.

the entree wasn't bad - it was a lentil & grain-based loaf with brussels sprouts and what was billed as a root vegetable risotto. it tasted fine and was very satisfying but it didn't blow me away. the risotto was just a totally smooth and not that flavorful mash, no sign of any rice in there. and the sauce was really sweet and that was about it. the loaf itself was nice, kinda nutty and a good texture, but it got boring after a while.

as far as the dessert goes, i could have made a better tasting and nicer looking cake at home. it was supposed to be a brownie but it was really your basic wacky cake (depression-era dairyless chocolate cake recipe), which is a fine recipe but a really basic one, and not a brownie at all. getting brownie texture without eggs is tricky but it can be done. it was served with mashed bananas and some kind of chocolate frosting. eh. definitely not worth $7 or however much they were charging for it.

the people i ate with seemed to really enjoy their meals, especially the ricotta gnocchi and the chicken & waffle.

salt of the earth's vegan food is a lot better, and there is usually more than one option (although they don't often have vegan desserts). what i'd really like to see is somewhere that serves vegan food of the caliber of horizons in philly - that is food that could stand beside any fancy restaurant offering (for example, their chef cooked the first ever vegetarian dinner at the james beard house). i felt like at root 174, the vegan stuff was an afterthought and didn't have the care and inventiveness put into it that some of the other food did.

Last edited by groar; 11-09-2011 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 12:23 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,844,612 times
Default The Porch?

Anyone try it out yet.....I'm interested in trying this place out on my next visit home around Christmas time...

The Porch at Schenley - Neighborhood restaurant in Schenley Plaza in Oakland, in the heart of Pittsburgh

The Porch at Schenley Opens in Oakland - Eat Street - November 2011

Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 29,681,847 times
I definitely want to try it--it sounds good.

And it looks cool (some people were very afraid when they heard it was associated with Eat N Park):

Edit: And not a bad beer list given it is a short one:

http://www.theporchatschenley.com/co...?pid=15&ppid=2

Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 AM

524 posts, read 762,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Anyone try it out yet.....I'm interested in trying this place out on my next visit home around Christmas time...

The Porch at Schenley - Neighborhood restaurant in Schenley Plaza in Oakland, in the heart of Pittsburgh

The Porch at Schenley Opens in Oakland - Eat Street - November 2011
We went for lunch last week. The food was good and the setting is really nice, a lot of natural light. At lunch you order at the counter and they bring the food to you. At dinner there is table service.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:06 AM

659 posts, read 1,029,333 times
I will def have to try this place!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM

10,046 posts, read 14,642,681 times
isn't six penn also an eat n park restaurant?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
isn't six penn also an eat n park restaurant?
Yep, under the Eat'n Park Hospitality Group:

Eat 'n Park - About Us - Eat'n Park Hospitality Group

That's why I was personally never worried about them being behind this place.

Edit: They also have a long-standing relationship with the Carnegie museums under their Parkhurst brand:

http://www.parkhurstdining.com/news/.../11-07-05.html

I'm actually thinking they may have catered my wedding reception, which was at the Carnegie (in the Music Hall Foyer) in 1998 and catered "in-house".

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,735,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm actually thinking they may have catered my wedding reception, which was at the Carnegie (in the Music Hall Foyer) in 1998 and catered "in-house".
They catered my wedding too which we had at the Carnegie Science Center (complete with a "Just Married" sign on the back of the submarine).

Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
They catered my wedding too which we had at the Carnegie Science Center (complete with a "Just Married" sign on the back of the submarine).
Fun!

Assuming it was them for our reception, they did a great job. We ended up going with a more casual approach where people could sit wherever they liked, and there were carving stations, pasta stations, and so on set up, and we got a lot of positive comments about the food and other nice touches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh