Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 05:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I read, in another place, that their previous license was a "hotel license", because they had rooms to let in the floors above, and when they were taken out to prepare for Umami, they lost that license.
But the new one is pending.
Are they still able to serve alcohol at present?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:46 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Are they still able to serve alcohol at present?
I heard they were BYOB, $10 corkage, but I don't know for sure it it's still in effect, their Twitter feed doesn't say.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I heard they were BYOB, $10 corkage, but I don't know for sure it it's still in effect, their Twitter feed doesn't say.
Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

I have been meaning to head over there for some tacos and beer as their patio is so cool, but those plans are delayed now!

Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, it's appreciated.

I have been meaning to head over there for some tacos and beer as their patio is so cool, but those plans are delayed now!
Yeah I stopped in a few weeks ago on a Thursday night and the place was dead. The drinks are what always brought me there, and having to bring my own takes away the main reason I would go there. They did have more bartenders working that night than usual which I found strange, as at that place it is almost impossible to get a drink in a reasonable time.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Yeah I stopped in a few weeks ago on a Thursday night and the place was dead. The drinks are what always brought me there, and having to bring my own takes away the main reason I would go there. They did have more bartenders working that night than usual which I found strange, as at that place it is almost impossible to get a drink in a reasonable time.
Just out of curiosity, if you brought your own bottle, would they make the drinks? Or would BYOB have been for wine and beer?

Old 07-03-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I have no fear that the sodas would come just as slowly as the beers used to. I imagine they'd be pretty slow to take your order and collect their pricey corkage fee as well!
They have a very cool concept, but their service leaves so much to be desired. I resorted to just ordering my drinks in person at the bar itself on their patio, and even that earned me attitude. It rubs me the wrong way when establishments have a corporate culture of acting like they're doing me a favor by taking my money in exchange for their goods... Though I put up with it for the ambiance of their patio.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
Quote:
I have no fear that the sodas would come just as slowly as the beers used to. I imagine they'd be pretty slow to take your order and collect their pricey corkage fee as well!
They have a very cool concept, but their service leaves so much to be desired. I resorted to just ordering my drinks in person at the bar itself on their patio, and even that earned me attitude. It rubs me the wrong way when establishments have a corporate culture of acting like they're doing me a favor by taking my money in exchange for their goods... Though I put up with it for the ambiance of their patio.
I always got the vibe that they just don’t think you are cool enough for them to even care to provide you good service.

The patio bar seems to be a little more friendly, but even then I always feel like the bartenders are there with their friends and that they are some sort of clique that I am just not part of.

Yet I continue to go back for some of their drinks, which are great when you get one.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I always got the vibe that they just don’t think you are cool enough for them to even care to provide you good service.
It's a good observation. The only other place in the city I've ever gotten that feeling was at Perle in Market Square. I will actually never return there. It's ironic that those establishments are complete and utter opposites except in their customer service training.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:18 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
I love the food and the vibe of the cantina, but I hate how aggressively anti-kid they are. As in no one under 21 is allowed to eat there ever, even during the day. The first few years, they used to allow us to eat with our daughter in a stroller if we stayed in the seats in the front, but then they stopped doing that. Although I do understand they'll let you bring kids in for Sunday brunch (but no other time).

I mean, seriously though. We're not dumb parents who would take our kid to a bar at 9PM or something. But you'd think a place with a pretty heavy food selection would expect some people with children would want to stop in early in the evenings. Nearby Franktuary figured it out, and it doesn't seem to have hurt their business at all.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 AM

N.Y. cafe considering location in North Side | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh