Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 06:13 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I liked the idea of Verde and wanted to support it. I simply didn't think much of the execution. The tequila bar seemed to be the focus - and I'm guessing the more profitable element by far. The food wasn't at all appealing to the taco/bean/rice crowd and was disappointing to fans of modern Mexican cuisine.
Isn't the bar always more profitable than the food in any restaurant that serves alcohol?

Still, I agree that it seemed more like a bar that served some food than a bar/restaurant. I'll admit that as a vegan I had limited options there, but everything I tried was mediocre at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Isn't the bar always more profitable than the food in any restaurant that serves alcohol?

Still, I agree that it seemed more like a bar that served some food than a bar/restaurant. I'll admit that as a vegan I had limited options there, but everything I tried was mediocre at best.
I think you said it better than I - yes liquor is more profitable than food, but despite a creative food-focused start, eventually the focus of Verde seemed to focus more on the bar more than the dining area.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:34 AM

338 posts, read 446,686 times
I've always been a little jealous of Philly's BYOB scene. We have some really great places here(Cafe Dujour, Crested Duck, E2, Gaucho) but I would love to see an increase in these, especially downtown, atleast 1 or 2.

It is true though, you need a bar to really make the money because most upper 20's early 30's go out to a restaurant for their nightly activity now instead of just going to a bar or club... atleast from my experiences.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
I've always been a little jealous of Philly's BYOB scene. We have some really great places here(Cafe Dujour, Crested Duck, E2, Gaucho) but I would love to see an increase in these, especially downtown, atleast 1 or 2.
Supply and demand for Philadelphia County liquor licenses is considerably higher than for Allegheny County.

PLCB regulations state that a county should only have 1 license per 3,000 inhabitants. Thus, Philadelphia should only have about 520 for the whole county (appeals have brought this # up to a little more than 1,000). That's still a ridiculously small number.

Allegheny County should have about 410, although that number is also higher due to appeals, but less than Philly.

Given Philadelphia County is pretty much all Philadelphia city and has considerably more restaurants and hotels than Allegheny County (due to almost 7x the density), it's easy to see the problem - and BYOB is the solution.

Massachusetts has a similar issue and measures are being considered to solve it. You can see from this article the political implications involved, and you can be certain that these issues also apply to Pennsylvania.

Which is not to say Philly politicos won't still be crooks if licenses are handled locally, but it would get state politicians out of receiving bribes and using granting of licenses for favors.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:11 AM

Hipster Alert:

Pittsburgh Specialty Coffee Week, October 19-25.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:58 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
"High-concept" restaurants have a pretty short expiration date - they simply aren't meant to last. I mean, Tamari closed only to be immediately rebranded as Pan. I think the plan is to do the same thing with Verde - the owners are opening up something new in the exact same location.

The natural short life span of modern haute cuisine joints puts a crimp in the plans of labor unions to organize them. By the time the union can get cards signed, elections held, votes counted, appeals heard and contracts negotiated, struck over and eventually signed, the joint has already closed its door making the whole effort a waste.

I guess that's why fast food places are the key targets in labor organizing efforts in the current age. Taco Bell and Mickey D's will be presumably be around for a generation or two.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 96,421 times
With the BYOB talk, I started this list late last year in this thread. Anywhere to add or delete?

Avenue B - Friendship
Bado's Cucina - McMurray
Cafe Du Jour - South Side
Casa Rasta - Beechview
Chaya - Squirrel Hill
Cucina Bella - Bridgeville
Crested Duck Charcuterie - Beechview
E2 - Highland Park
Golden Pig - Cecil.
Kabob-G Grill - Castle Shannon
La Palapa - South Side
La Tavola Italiana - Mt. Washington
Nicky's Thai Kitchen - North Side and Downtown (both BYOB?)
Noodlehead - Shadyside
Pho Kim 88 - Castle Shannon
Piccolo Forno - Lawrenceville
Sarafino's - Crafton
Smiling Banana Leaf - Highland Park
Wild Rosemary - Bridgeville

Old 09-23-2015, 02:17 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser412soze View Post
With the BYOB talk, I started this list late last year in this thread. Anywhere to add or delete?

Avenue B - Friendship
Bado's Cucina - McMurray
Cafe Du Jour - South Side
Casa Rasta - Beechview
Chaya - Squirrel Hill
Cucina Bella - Bridgeville
Crested Duck Charcuterie - Beechview
E2 - Highland Park
Golden Pig - Cecil.
Kabob-G Grill - Castle Shannon
La Palapa - South Side
La Tavola Italiana - Mt. Washington
Nicky's Thai Kitchen - North Side and Downtown (both BYOB?)
Noodlehead - Shadyside
Pho Kim 88 - Castle Shannon
Piccolo Forno - Lawrenceville
Sarafino's - Crafton
Smiling Banana Leaf - Highland Park
Wild Rosemary - Bridgeville
Both on the North Side:

Legends of the North Shore
Lola Bistro

Old 09-23-2015, 02:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
I'd add Everyday Noodles in Squirrel Hill.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:33 PM

338 posts, read 446,686 times
Smoke Bbq,Kaeidiscope, Coca Cafe and The Vandal are in Lawrenceville. Smoke is getting a license I believe.

Cafe Zinho is BYOB in Shadyside as well as Sausalido in Bloomfield.

Are there any others downtown? I think just Alihans and Christos to my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh