U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,256 posts, read 3,318,397 times

Advertisements

Here are a couple more of my favorites:

Dish on the Southside:
DISH Osteria and Bar

Italian at Lucca in Oakland:
Lucca Ristorante

Sunday brunch at the Grand Concourse is simply incredible. You will not believe how much awesome food choices that await:
Grand Concourse Restaurant - Pittsburgh, PA | OpenTable

And for barfood, you can't beat the pizza, wings, and beer at the Rivertowne locations:
Welcome to MyRivertowne.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,850,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Here are a couple more of my favorites:

Dish on the Southside:
DISH Osteria and Bar
This one looks interesting

Quote:
Sunday brunch at the Grand Concourse is simply incredible. You will not believe how much awesome food choices that await:
Grand Concourse Restaurant - Pittsburgh, PA | OpenTable
ITAWP - Love the GC Brunches, I make it a mission to get there atleast once I year.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 AM

9,154 posts, read 9,170,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Where can someone get a med rare burger?
Winghart's. And it's delicious.

My other favorite places include Piccolo Forno, Dozen Bake Shop, Lidia's, and the Penn Ave Fish Company.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 AM

20,273 posts, read 29,697,235 times
Tamari is great.

Winghart's is easily my favorite burger place these days. They will in fact cook a real rare burger. BRGR's burgers disappointed me, although overall it is a fun place.

We haven't talked about it much, but the charcuterie at Elements is a great "foodie" experience, and you can do something similar with their desserts.

We just tried the new Italian place in Regent Square, Cibo. It was pretty good, but it falls somewhere between trattoria and upscale ristorante in its food ambitions, which was somewhat confusing to me. But given the reasonable prices, I am mentally putting it into the trattoria category and planning to enjoy it as such.

Also new in Regent Square are Root 174 (in the former Legume space) and Alma (in the former Calli's space). We've discussed Root 174 before, and here is an article on Alma:

Alma Pan-Latin Kitchen Brings New Flavor to East End - Forest Hills-Regent Square, PA Patch

I'm very much looking forward to trying both places.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM
gg

19,785 posts, read 19,676,907 times
Here are a few places we have had a nice meal:

1. Cross Keys Inn (Fox Chapel) - everything is good and the waitstaff IS knowledgeable.
2. William Penn at their bar by the lobby (Downtown) - eat a bunch of aps for a meal.
3. Six Penn (Downtown) - a little pricy - try the smoked wings as an ap
4. Peppi's (Western Ave. North Side)- good Ultra Cheese Steak
5. Pamela's Pancakes (Bring your own syrup)
6. North Country (road trip to Slippery Rock) Farm to fork local foods and home brewed beer
7. Blue Canoe (long road trip to Titusville)
8 Aspinwall Grille (Aspinwall) Standard bar fare, but a little better. Ribs are good.
9. Point Brugge Cafe (Point Breeze) Great mussels and more.
10. Sidelines Bar and Grille (Millvale) It isn't the greatest looking place, but the wings are the best in our area.

Last edited by gg; 06-28-2011 at 06:11 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 06:10 AM

The Tap Room in the William Penn is indeed a too-often-overlooked place. It is open 11:30 to 1:00 am every day (2:00 am on Fridays and Saturdays), the food is good (upscale pub), and the beer selection is decent. It is a very cozy atmosphere, not at all like a typical modern hotel bar. I could quibble on the pricing a bit, but overall it is a nice place.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Tap Room in the William Penn is indeed a too-often-overlooked place. It is open 11:30 to 1:00 am every day (2:00 am on Fridays and Saturdays), the food is good (upscale pub), and the beer selection is decent. It is a very cozy atmosphere, not at all like a typical modern hotel bar. I could quibble on the pricing a bit, but overall it is a nice place.
Brain, I am not sure about the Tap Room. Do you know if they serve the same food at the little bar by the lobby? I fixed my post, because the Tap Room is a TV bar and I really prefer the little bar that is usually very quiet. I just love looking that the architecture in the William Penn. It truly can be compared to the hotel bars on 59th St. in NYC.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Brain, I am not sure about the Tap Room. Do you know if they serve the same food at the little bar by the lobby? I fixed my post, because the Tap Room is a TV bar and I really prefer the little bar that is usually very quiet. I just love looking that the architecture in the William Penn. It truly can be compared to the hotel bars on 59th St. in NYC.
I think you may be talking about the bar in the Palm Court. The only food thing I have done there is the afternoon tea, so I'm actually not sure what their other options are like.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think you may be talking about the bar in the Palm Court. The only food thing I have done there is the afternoon tea, so I'm actually not sure what their other options are like.
Yes, that is the bar. It isn't that popular, but I believe the menu is the same as the big restaurant there. We saw a group last time there having afternoon tea. It was so cool and they were celebrating an older person's birthday. Everyone was dressed nicely and it looked like a lot of fun. We enjoy that bar. It is odd that not many use it, but it is one of our favorite places downtown.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,419,583 times
Quote:
I think the food is going down hill in restaurants. Not just in Pittsburgh, but everywhere. Where can someone get a med rare burger? I went to the Burgatory in FC Waterworks. Ordered med rare it came well done. Glad it did, since I don't think they have the quality to offer a real med rare burger. I don't think anyone knows how to make a great burger anymore. They all press the down hard, cook them well done and you eat a hockey puck. Yahoo!

If you were there at 6-8pm on a friday/saturday night this would explain a lot. The best food at any place is going to be cooked during non traditional dining hours because that is when the employees have the most time to focus on the quality of what they're preparing. A restaurant with 40 seats might not have more than two people in the back cooking. Most restaurants aren't set up to adequately prepare food for even half their tables at once. Given the low profit margins of the industry they simply can't be, so it doesnt' take much to overwhelm a kitchen. When you combine that with chefs who are neurotic about getting food out like they're working at Denny's because they don't understand the flow of a dining experience (and assume every customer is impatient) you get lower quality food at your table.

Maybe the places you went just aren't up to par (I mean we are talking about a place that used to be Fudruckers), but if you're going at peak demand hours a loss of quality is to be expected. My advice to anyone is to avoid restaurants on holidays like the plague. Especially valentines day and mother's day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh