Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I stopped at the Burger King on the PA Turnpike the other day. I thought the hamburgers were expertly done. Not too raw, done just enough. The french fries were a bit under-seasoned, but with the salt available I was able to remedy that situation and make sure that the french fries had that good fried potato taste to them that I expected. The drink selection was excellent as usual, and I paired my meal with a delicious Dr. Pepper. The mix of syrup to carbonated water was good, though a bit on the sweet side. They could alter the mix a bit and get it perfect, but it's not something that will prevent me from going again. To top off this wonderful meal, I had the dutch apple pie for dessert. I asked that they heat the pie up for me, and it was the perfect temperature. The pie was a pleasing blend of sweet and tart, as it should be and the crust was very flaky. Overall I'd rate my experience there a solid 8 and do plan to go back again. I wish I had tried the Onion Rings....that will definitely be on my list the next time.

The syrup to carbonated water mix is extremely important. I go out of my way for the perfect combo, the McDonald's in Robinson near RMC is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:47 AM

373 posts, read 378,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I stopped at the Burger King on the PA Turnpike the other day. I thought the hamburgers were expertly done. Not too raw, done just enough. The french fries were a bit under-seasoned, but with the salt available I was able to remedy that situation and make sure that the french fries had that good fried potato taste to them that I expected. The drink selection was excellent as usual, and I paired my meal with a delicious Dr. Pepper. The mix of syrup to carbonated water was good, though a bit on the sweet side. They could alter the mix a bit and get it perfect, but it's not something that will prevent me from going again. To top off this wonderful meal, I had the dutch apple pie for dessert. I asked that they heat the pie up for me, and it was the perfect temperature. The pie was a pleasing blend of sweet and tart, as it should be and the crust was very flaky. Overall I'd rate my experience there a solid 8 and do plan to go back again. I wish I had tried the Onion Rings....that will definitely be on my list the next time.
This is the kind of stuff I earnestly send to my friends while I'm traveling. And always accompanied by multiple pictures. My latest subject was a Harvey's in Toronto. Totally enamored of that place for some reason.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:57 AM

684 posts, read 419,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The syrup to carbonated water mix is extremely important. I go out of my way for the perfect combo, the McDonald's in Robinson near RMC is excellent.
It is indeed a delicate balance!

Old 08-09-2017, 06:06 PM

37,146 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Are there recs for very good and spicy Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh? I know there was a fairly large Hungarian population in Pittsburgh, and Hungarian cuisine within Hungary itself can get really spicy, but I'd like to know if there are actually spicy Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:38 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are there recs for very good and spicy Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh? I know there was a fairly large Hungarian population in Pittsburgh, and Hungarian cuisine within Hungary itself can get really spicy, but I'd like to know if there are actually spicy Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh.
I only know of one Hungarian restaurant in Pittsburgh, and I am not even sure if it is still open. It wasn’t so much a restaurant as much as a guys house you could go eat in .

http://www.jozsacorner.com/jozsacorner/Welcome.html

Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I only know of one Hungarian restaurant in Pittsburgh, and I am not even sure if it is still open. It wasn’t so much a restaurant as much as a guys house you could go eat in .

Hungarian Restaurant 4800 Second Ave., Pittsburgh PA 15207 412-422-1886
Geez, I never heard of this place. I wish it wasn't in that location, but it sure looks interesting. I guess I could rent a car and go there. I am not sure I would want to park one of my cars in that spot, but maybe? It sure looks interesting and I might really like it. Thanks for the link. Interesting!

Old 08-10-2017, 01:44 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
There's a new-ish Hungarian restaurant on the North side, in between 279 and Allegheny General Hospital. (It's where the old Recovery Room used to be, if that helps.) I haven't had a chance to go yet myself, but it might be worth a try if you can't get in to the Hazelwood place (which is supposed to be excellent and has some pretty devoted fans).

Huszar Pittsburgh – Legacy Bar & Hungarian Restaurant

Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 657 times
I've been to the Georgetowne Inn. You go there only for the view. The food is, well, food-ish. Luckily I've been only twice and never had to pay. Definitely doesn't go on a foodie list. Indeed the only place on Mt Washington that might remotely qualify is Isabela on Grandview. And I can't attest to that personally.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagana View Post
I've been to the Georgetowne Inn. You go there only for the view. The food is, well, food-ish. Luckily I've been only twice and never had to pay. Definitely doesn't go on a foodie list. Indeed the only place on Mt Washington that might remotely qualify is Isabela on Grandview. And I can't attest to that personally.
that place has been closed for years. i have heard the replacement, altius, is terrific.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM

9,339 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
He probably tones it down for the typical visitor, but if you say you want spicy, I'm sure Alex Bodnar of Jozsa Corner will oblige. This is a guy who doesn't just use good, imported paprika, but smokes his own peppers from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

Hungarian Restaurant 4800 Second Ave., Pittsburgh PA 15207 412-422-1886
It's still open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Geez, I never heard of this place. I wish it wasn't in that location, but it sure looks interesting. I guess I could rent a car and go there. I am not sure I would want to park one of my cars in that spot, but maybe? It sure looks interesting and I might really like it. Thanks for the link. Interesting!
I parked my luxury lite vehicle after dark multiple times and never experienced issues. Just don't leave obvious valuables in sight. IIRC, there's some well-lit spots right by the train tracks. If you ever make the trip, make sure to ask for chicken cracklings with the relish tray.

Car burglars aren't the brightest bunch. If they were really smart, they'd ransack Oakland for college textbooks, which cost quite a pretty penny. Another valuable item you never have to worry about car burglars stealing: golf clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh