Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Anyone know if these are authentic Mexican style tacos?
Can only speak to Las Palmas as I've been there frequently. And they are. Two corn tortillas per taco. All fresh toppings. Al Pastor, Carnitas, etc. Wish they had lengua, but the beef/chicken/pork options they do have are tremendous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Can only speak to Las Palmas as I've been there frequently. And they are. Two corn tortillas per taco. All fresh toppings. Al Pastor, Carnitas, etc. Wish they had lengua, but the beef/chicken/pork options they do have are tremendous.
Seconded -- I make a special trip out to Brookline at least once a month for these, and if I were free during the week it'd be more often for sure.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:11 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Reyna in the Strip has lengua.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
mmm...al pastor. those guys should open a food truck downtown.

I thought this blurb was interesting from brian's post
Quote:
Restaurateur Kevin Sousa has announced he will soon open a craft cocktail bar, called Harvard and Highland. The bar will be located above Union Pig and Chicken, the barbecue restaurant Sousa opened earlier this year, located at 220 North Highland Avenue.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Reyna in the Strip has lengua.
Personally I think the tacos are much better at Las Palmas, although the ones at Reyna are pretty good. The griddle-toasted tortillas are the difference, to me.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Naively planning to visit both markets in one night...arrived at the Richmond Night Market just as the doors opened at 7 p.m. on a recent Sunday. It still was brightly sunny as we followed the signs and safety-orange-vested workers' gestures into the gravel parking lot and joined the long line of people walking into what looked, sounded and smelled like a typical, if big, summer fair or festival.
[Once inside, we passed the stage, where Asian teens were singing and dancing, and the booths selling cell phone accessories and other discount goods, heading straight for the food...It was immediately clear that this was not, say, the Washington County Fair.
These 80-some food booths and trucks were selling such delicacies as dim sum, Filipino Fishballs, Durian Milk Tea, and Okonomiyaki, described as "Japanese pizza."There were many foods we'd never heard of, much less tasted....Several American cities have night markets. Pittsburgh even had one this summer. The Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership presented the "Project Pop Up: Night Market" on July 13, when gallery crawlers could stop in a Liberty Avenue parking lot and sample food made by Meat & Potatoes and Conflict Kitchen...Our Night Markets have really made a huge splash in Philadelphia -- I don't think we ever anticipated they would get as popular as they've become,"
Night markets -- popular venues for after-dark eating in Asia -- are catching on here. - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

hopefully the next downtown night market is a bit more robust though it was well attended

Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I thought this blurb was interesting
Between Sousa, the people doing the hotel, and the Broad Street people, that part of East Liberty is going to get a very quick transformation into a major hot spot.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Huge relief to know that I can get authentic tacos if I relocate. Having things that remind me of home will make adjusting to my new home much easier.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Between Sousa, the people doing the hotel, and the Broad Street people, that part of East Liberty is going to get a very quick transformation into a major hot spot.
Have you eaten at pig and chicken? Thinking of checking it out

Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Have you eaten at pig and chicken?
Not yet--we were slow getting through our list of places to try to begin with, and the baby has reduced it to a crawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh