Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Funny you should say that, Evergrey. I had a friend staying at my house who arrived at around 7:30 pm and wanted to get some food. I immediately suggested El Burro since it's new, really good and right up the street. I googled it to confirm their hours and had to say never mind because they were already closed.

If only there was a more popular bar in the War Streets, El Burro would have huge crowds of would-be late night taco consumers.
And it damn well better stay that way until i have some.more scratch. ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I don't know, Zagat's Pittsburgh page still only has those six chains listed in their official Zagat reviews with others listed as "member reviews". Anyone looking at that page would think that those six restaurants were what they thought were the best in Pittsburgh. If they they haven't actually started rating places, then they shouldn't have put the page out on the internet. If anyone is acting amateurishly, it's Zagat, not the PBT.
You'd see much the same for any other city that Zagat does not actively pay attention to. Apparently the confusion stemmed from an announcement that Zagat WILL be reviewing Pittsburgh restaurants, which was misinterpreted as meaning that they already have.

Other cities, like Nashville, Memphis, or Indianapolis, also list only a few formally reviewed restaurants, almost all of then chains, though it seems they have put effort into most of the cities I typed in randomly, like Denver, Milwaukee, or Charlotte.

I'd agree they should make it clearer when they haven't specifically reviewed a particular city or area.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:16 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
On a recent walk through Shadyside, we were upset to see that Pizutti's on Belefonte Street had closed. Pizutti's had lots of great memories for us: I discovered it within my first couple of days of living here. I was just walking along looking for someplace unique and discovered it. If you had never eaten there, it was a smaller, Itallian bistro style restaurant. Quaint and cozy and lots of character. I met my wife shortly after moving here, we spent many New Years Eve's there, along with other special dinners like Valentines day. Very sad to see it gone.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 AM

423 posts, read 628,993 times
Pittsburgh's first ramen bar had a soft open last night in Squirrel Hill.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
I'm pretty sure Station St. Hot Dogs is now doing ramen full time as well, or will be in the near future.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
$9 for noodles like the kind giant eagle sells 3 for a dollar plus some toppings? I don't get it. $9 is a beer, burger and fries in Squirrel Hill.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
$9 for noodles like the kind giant eagle sells 3 for a dollar plus some toppings? I don't get it. $9 is a beer, burger and fries in Squirrel Hill.
Assuming that's a genuine question, here's a little more info on what's involved in with ramen and no, it doesn't have much in common with the "Oriental Flavor" packets that you get at the supermarket.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
no, it doesn't have much in common with the "Oriental Flavor" packets that you get at the supermarket.
That sounds completely different. I'd wondered why people were making a big deal over noodles.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:24 PM

423 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm pretty sure Station St. Hot Dogs is now doing ramen full time as well, or will be in the near future.
Yes, as the PennsylvAsia link says some places in Pittsburgh have experimented with ramen. Station St. is basically designer ramen, though, charging $14 and appealing to people who are more into trendy restaurants than that noodle dish. Those locations in Shadyside and East Liberty are experimenting, too, but offer more general Asian food than what ramen actually is.

The local papers here are the ones that routinely name Nakama and Ichiban the best Japanese restaurants in Pittsburgh, so we can't really rely too much on their expertise.

There hasn't real Japanese ramen in Pittsburgh, until now. Before Ramen Bar came the nearest Japanese ramen place is in Morgantown.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Another noodle place is going to come to Squirrel Hill according to the sign in the window of the store front by the Bagel Factory. They say "traditional handmade noodles" are coming soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh