Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Good to know. I've only almost gone there before, on account of the cigar bar. Which is a shame, because cioppino is soul food for me.
I've been there twice and had the linguini with clams, mussels, and shrimp on both occasions. The second time I intended to get the cioppino, but for some reason did not.

Incidentally, if you ever find yourself in the area, One Eleven in Greensburg prepares an excellent cioppino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I second Jay's recommendation of Penn Avenue Fish Company; it's awesome. Also, I've had good shellfish at Cioppino, and I've heard that Point Brugge Cafe is excellent for mussels.
Can't speak to Cioppino, but have never gone wrong at Penn Ave. Fish and the moules and frites at Point Brugge (and I assume it's sister Park Brugges as well) are wonderful.

Spoiler
(I'm certain GH will recommend the soulless, unethical McCormick & Schmick if he wishes to contribute).

Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,886,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Spoiler
(I'm certain GH will recommend the soulless, unethical McCormick & Schmick if he wishes to contribute).
Then we will know for sure with which orifice he does his tasting.

I ate there once and had to return my entree twice.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:48 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,000 times
Quote:
Can't speak to Cioppino, but have never gone wrong at Penn Ave. Fish and the moules and frites at Point Brugge (and I assume it's sister Park Brugges as well) are wonderful.
PAFC is great and the employees are always so nice! I go there quite often to buy oysters.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:31 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Since I recall people mentioning it earlier in this thread, I just thought I'd mention that the new Ramen place on Forbes in Squirrel Hill is open and had a line out the door. I didn't try it or anything definitive like that. I just drove by it about 15 minutes ago.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:00 PM

I should mention wife and I went to Cinco last night. I wanted to cry. When they opened a couple of months ago they had a really interesting menu with Mexican selections we haven't seen around here - regional specialties.

They recently dumbed it down to pretty much only six variations of tacos, a fajita platter (not even Mexican) and a chicken enchilada (choice of red, green or mole poblano sauce) because nobody was ordering the more interesting stuff. The still had two soups (I had the Xochitl, which was delicious). Thankfully they kept the guac simple and the red salsa close to what's served in Mexico (not chunky). They also still make their own tortillas (and chips - something else you don't often find served in Mexico).

Our waiter said they'd be rolling out some additional dishes in a week or two with one or two Oaxacan fish/seafood dishes and maybe some other stuff.

I noted that diner reviews of the place were complaining there weren't sombreros and tacky decorations on the walls.

I feel bad for the owners. Hopefully they find a medium where they can still do the dishes they want while catering to the South Hills population that has no idea what Mexican food really is. I'd like this place to stay in business as it's very convenient and it's obvious the kitchen has talent.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM

583 posts, read 884,277 times
Quote:
I should mention wife and I went to Cinco last night. I wanted to cry. When they opened a couple of months ago they had a really interesting menu with Mexican selections we haven't seen around here - regional specialties.

They recently dumbed it down to pretty much only six variations of tacos, a fajita platter (not even Mexican) and a chicken enchilada (choice of red, green or mole poblano sauce) because nobody was ordering the more interesting stuff. The still had two soups (I had the Xochitl, which was delicious). Thankfully they kept the guac simple and the red salsa close to what's served in Mexico (not chunky). They also still make their own tortillas (and chips - something else you don't often find served in Mexico).

Our waiter said they'd be rolling out some additional dishes in a week or two with one or two Oaxacan fish/seafood dishes and maybe some other stuff.

I noted that diner reviews of the place were complaining there weren't sombreros and tacky decorations on the walls.

I feel bad for the owners. Hopefully they find a medium where they can still do the dishes they want while catering to the South Hills population that has no idea what Mexican food really is. I'd like this place to stay in business as it's very convenient and it's obvious the kitchen has talent.
Now you have me thinking of the Chuy's in Louisville. That's good stuff. They make a hatch chile enchilada. Mmm, mmm. I think Texas and New Mexico improved on Mexican food in the same way that Chicago greatly improved pizza from the East.

Ever had a Hatch Chile?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Now you have me thinking of the Chuy's in Louisville. That's good stuff. They make a hatch chile enchilada. Mmm, mmm. I think Texas and New Mexico improved on Mexican food in the same way that Chicago greatly improved pizza from the East.

Ever had a Hatch Chile?
Yeah I've had Hatch chiles. I don't find them particularly noteworthy although I find the Lumbre variety to be useful in certain dishes.

I imagine the rest of your post is simply geared to annoy me because it's about the stupidest thing you could say.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM

583 posts, read 884,277 times
Quote:
Yeah I've had Hatch chiles. I don't find them particularly noteworthy although I find the Lumbre variety to be useful in certain dishes.

I imagine the rest of your post is simply geared to annoy me because it's about the stupidest thing you could say.
No, really, it's very good. Give it a chance. I love Tex-Mex. If you're ever in Louisville or one of the other Chuy's cities, stop in. It's fun and very tasty. Love their salsa.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
No, really, it's very good. Give it a chance. I love Tex-Mex. If you're ever in Louisville or one of the other Chuy's cities, stop in. It's fun and very tasty. Love their salsa.
I was referring more to the idea that Texas and New Mexico have "improved" Mexican food and Chicago "improved" east coast pizza.

I looked at Chuy's site and it's exactly what I rebel against. Note in their "fullosophy" that there's no mention of Mexico except to maybe put a toe across the border. Their recipes come from New Mexico and Texas.

Since you seem to like Chicago, I'd recommend you visit one of Rick Bayless's places. Because calling what's served in Pittsburgh or at Chuy's "Mexican" food is like saying what they eat in Wyoming is representative of all 'American' food. Good luck getting a lobster or a bowl of gumbo.

What they eat in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Jalisco or Mexico City has little or nothing to do with what's found in Pittsburgh Mexican restaurants. You might be happy with that. I lived in Mexico for awhile and loved the food there, so I'm not happy about it. At all.

Fwiw, in much of Mexico, a plate of tortillas is put out like bread. You use it to mop up sauce or you don't. It's not intrinsic to the enjoyment of the meal nor a necessary conveyance for a filling. The funny part about this is that if people would stop looking at Mexican food as only stuff in tortillas, they'd realize that the "real" dishes actually offer more meat/fish/chicken for the same price. You get far less for your protein dollar eating stuffed tortillas. But apparently folks need the starches to soak up their Big Gulp Margaritas.

Sore point with me. Like saying all Italian food has to come with spaghetti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh