Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:31 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times

Advertisements

I love ethnic food so here's my list of my favorite ethnic places:

Indian:

Udipi Cafe (Monroeville)

Vietnamese:

Pho Kim 88 (Bethel Park)

Korean:

Sushi Kim (Strip District for Korean BBQ)

Cambodian:

Angkor (Crafton area)

Middle Eastern:

Instanbul (Downtown)

Polish:

S&D Deli (Strip District)

German:

Penn Brewery (North Side)

Mexican:

Las Palmas (Brookline, for the taco stand)

My favorite Chinese place closed down (Golden Palace in Robinson) and I hate all the local Japanese places. Honestly I know nothing about gourmet places, every one I've been too is over priced with small portions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We haven't talked about it much, but the charcuterie at Elements is a great "foodie" experience, and you can do something similar with their desserts.
I haven't been to Elements but I have a couple friend and my parents have dined there, they both loved the food. However my Parents thought the service was kind of too slow..This was a Thursday night, my friends thought it wasn't bad at all for their Saturday night trip.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I haven't been to Elements but I have a couple friend and my parents have dined there, they both loved the food. However my Parents thought the service was kind of too slow..This was a Thursday night, my friends thought it wasn't bad at all for their Saturday night trip.
They get a big post-work/happy-hour trade, so if it was earlier on Thursday night that might have been the issue. We actually had a similar issue--we arrived somewhat early so we got our original orders in quickly, and they arrived in a timely fashion. But getting a second round of drinks and our dessert order in took a long time, and I noticed the place had filled up and our server was hustling in other places.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM

31 posts, read 102,759 times
Last Saturday my husband and I went to Meat and Potatoes downtown - I'm in love with that place. But gastropubs are for me - I love really good cocktails and high end snack food. They have pre-prohibition fancy cocktails, my husband had absinthe, which they also have. For dinner, we just ordered a bunch of appetizers and snacks (as we were doing the All Star Improv Show at the Cabaret Theater and only had a little under an hour). The mac and cheese was super cheesy and was with lobster. And I had the risotto with escargo and bleu cheese. It was a little too salty, but it's with escargo and bleu cheese, of course it was salty. The nicest thing is that we had leftovers and the waitress put it in the fridge in the back until we were done with our show. Things like that make me love places! It helps that it's amazing. Highly recommended.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
We wanted to try Meat and Potatoes but couldn't get a reservation--we'll have to keep asking because it sounds great.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM

106 posts, read 218,315 times
Without thinking too hard about it/off the top of my head Enrico's in the strip, a small restaurant in the alley/behind Enrico's Biscotti Co, has always been fabulous. Very quaint/european feel. Excellent flatbreads/pizzas. I believe the chef (Roy?) is from the South, so any southern style food on the menu will be excellent. Speaking of the menu, it is made daily and will contain about 8-10 items. When they run out (and they do) the item is 86'd so get there for an early lunch!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

German:

Penn Brewery (North Side)

Really? The Penn Brewery over Max's Allegheny Tavern and Grill?

What about Irish/British Isles? I prefer Pipers over The harp and fiddle in the strip. Monterey Pub in the war streets is decent.

I'm surprised that no one has repped Lucy in the strip for her Banh Mi's

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 PM

22 posts, read 45,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We wanted to try Meat and Potatoes but couldn't get a reservation--we'll have to keep asking because it sounds great.
It was very good when we went. They had a bone marrow special and it was fantastic. The only thing I didn't like there was the potato skins with pork belly, it was pretty bland.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
Without thinking too hard about it/off the top of my head Enrico's in the strip, a small restaurant in the alley/behind Enrico's Biscotti Co, has always been fabulous. Very quaint/european feel. Excellent flatbreads/pizzas. I believe the chef (Roy?) is from the South, so any southern style food on the menu will be excellent. Speaking of the menu, it is made daily and will contain about 8-10 items. When they run out (and they do) the item is 86'd so get there for an early lunch!
What do they make that's Southern? I think of Enrico's as Italian. It's one of my favorite places, btw.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Here are some of my favorites:
  • Reyna Foods Taco Stand - Strip District - Tacos
  • La Tavola Italiana - Mt. Washington - Veal, Pastas, Terra Sole
  • Blue Grotto - Southside - Pizza, Salad
  • Big Jims - The Run - Hot Turkey Sandwich, Meatball Sandwich, Wedding Soup
  • Wai Wai - Bloomfield - Mongolian Beef, Pepper Steak, Noodles
  • Dave and Andy's - Oakland - Ice Cream
  • Red Oak Cafe - Oakland - Sandwiches, Salads, Vegetarian
  • Girasole - Shadyside - Pasta, Gnocchi
  • Penn Avenue Fish Company - Strip District - Fish, Seafood Bisque
  • Mexico City Tacos - Downtown - Enchiladas, Burritos
  • Pipers Pub - Southside - Irish plates, Beef Stew
  • Monterey Pub - Mexican War Streets - Burgers, Salads, Fish and Chips, Devonshire
  • Park House - East Allegheny - Gyros, Falafel
  • Segneri's - Coraopolis - Tripe, Antipasto, Wedding Soup
  • Buena Vista Coffee - Mexican War Streets - Coffee, Pastries, Pound Cake
  • Wilsons - Mexican War Streets - Barbecue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh