Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,218,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I hope first and foremost they find a way to mitigate the impact of the Crosstown Boulevard, at least as much as possible. That is as much of a barrier between the Hill and town as the arena is. Perhaps cover over the highway in the Centre/Bedford/Bigelow area (where the highway is recessed) and create some sort of public plaza there. Not sure if the current work on the Centre Ave bridge means this is out of the plans completely or not.
This is very important. Not only is it a barrier. The sidewalks are narrow and crumbling. It is just not a pleasant walk, especially up 7th Avenue.

We can do better than this. In fact, we have to if we want to make the neighborhood blend in with Downtown. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=7th+Av...127.79,,0,3.53

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6th+Av...,60.39,,0,9.24

Cold and uninviting sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM

52 posts, read 75,378 times
I have so many wonderful memories of the old Igloo. However, its time has passed. yes, it was awesome to be inside with the roof open, but that was not going to happen again - ever. The new arena was needed to keep the Penguins. No, it is not the visual stunner the Igloo is, but it is much more functional.

Let it go. Redevelop the site and restore the street grid.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,875,925 times
I am going to make a prediction. I predict the mojo is gone due to the Civic Arena being torn down that the Pens are going to go on a run like the Pirates. Not losing seasons year after year, but just no Stanley Cups anymore. It is over. The Civic Arena had the mojo going. They should have opened it and placed a game.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,872,503 times
Can we please just knock the damn thing down already! My Goodness it fate was sealed over a year ago, this long drawn out dog and pony show has done nothing to change that, it needs to come down to move forward.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Curtis, exactly how old are you?

The Penguins' success is tied to the new arena when it comes to finances. The Igloo was designed for 11,000 people and 17,000 were squeezed into it, often uncomfortably. It is 50 years old and out of date. Yes, the retractable roof was a great engineering marvel, but when a hockey team plays most of its games when the weather is cold, it serves no use for the Penguins.

I am almost 48. I have seen many things come and go in my life and I refuse to get sentimental over buildings. My best sports memories were at Three Rivers Stadium. How many people miss it today? The North Shore looks better with what is there and not the ocean of parking lots surrounding TRS.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post
Curtis, exactly how old are you?

The Penguins' success is tied to the new arena when it comes to finances. The Igloo was designed for 11,000 people and 17,000 were squeezed into it, often uncomfortably. It is 50 years old and out of date. Yes, the retractable roof was a great engineering marvel, but when a hockey team plays most of its games when the weather is cold, it serves no use for the Penguins.

I am almost 48. I have seen many things come and go in my life and I refuse to get sentimental over buildings. My best sports memories were at Three Rivers Stadium. How many people miss it today? The North Shore looks better with what is there and not the ocean of parking lots surrounding TRS.
Renovating a building with a cool retractable roof would have been awesome. I have sat in every section of the Arena and NEVER was uncomfortable. I even sat in folding chairs that were in the front row behind the goal and was okay with it, but it could have been renovated for hockey use. Imagine a hockey game outdoors in the arena. No one in the world could have done that. Pittsburgh would have gotten more world publicity and you know networks would have picked that game up. I look at a much bigger picture than the CEO's and their luxury boxes. I look at a perception of how the world views Pittsburgh and sometimes the cost of that is more. My goal is good publicity for Pittsburgh. The new arena does really nothing for us. Nothing special, well except the CEO's and their luxury boxes are more comfortable. I have been to several hockey games there. It is okay. There are countess arenas like the Console Center. I sure hate that name as well, but oh well. Been in the Lexus Club and had some drinks. It was okay.

Look I realize this has been over as soon as they had plans to build a new arena. The people in the know knew the Civic Arena was going to be torn down many years ago. They have the money to do as they please. As soon as I heard about the new arena I knew it was over for the Civic Arena. You cannot beat money and the powerful people that make these decisions are in total control. The Syria Mosque was another nice place torn down. If powerful people want it done, they can do as they please.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:14 AM

The roof does not retract anymore. The Penguins did not want to play there anymore. Mario Lemieux made a new arena a part of this acquisition of the team from bankruptcy back in 2000. There were obstructed seats. It became obsolete. It was obsolete as a hockey facility in the late 1970s and had band aid after band aid applied.

Yet you, Curtis, want to throw more money into the Igloo because the roof retracted at one time. Yeah, that was cool, but not as cool as seeing a game at Forbes Field.

The folks in the Lower Hill want the Igloo gone. I agree with them. The Igloo is not worth the money it would cost to fix it or renovate it or update it.

I would rather see some economic growth occur on the site of the Igloo. Construction jobs and other jobs instead of the empty arena sound better to me.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post
The roof does not retract anymore.
Been in the real estate game WAY too long to fall for that. I am about your age, but been in real estate on many different levels for lots of years. Of course the roof can open. Don't fall for that old bs. It is sort of like the fear card the GOP lives for. It amazes me that people fall for it over and over again. Maybe the roof needs a couple of parts, maybe it needs a seal maybe whatever. I can open if they want it to open. They knew this was going to be a tear down many years before the little people like you and I found out about the new arena. You have no idea how long this was in the works. As soon as they know the plan all of a sudden the Civic Arena can't be opened, it is going to fall down, it is going to cost ten billion dollars to even get it to open or whatever. Don't believe all the crap. This new arena was in the plans so long ago we have no idea.

If the money people want it, they get it. Don't fall for the crap. If you wanted the new place, that is fine, but it kills me that people consider all the scare tactics that power people use to get their way. I have been involved first hand on deals like this and it happens ALL the time.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Ok, curtis, you are in the real estate business and I am just a dumb accountant.

When you bring up the "fear card" the "GOP throws around", I instantly think of the "Social Security fear card" the Democrats have been throwing around for decades.

Of course the roof could be opened again. It would require dismatling the electronic scoreboard that is suspended from the roof center and work to be done to the roof and its equipment to make it work.

Why spend the money? Just because it has the retratcable roof?

The Igloo was designed in 1958 to seat 11,000 people.

You are advocating pumping more money into the old building. Where will the money come from? Who will pay for it? Who would use it after it was renovated?

Politically speaking, I have almost no views in common with the people who live in the Lower Hill. When it comes to the Igloo, I agree with them. They don't want it around anymore. I see it as something whose time has come and gone.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:03 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,865,996 times
If you want it so badly, offer them more than they would want for it and do something with it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh