Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,692,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I agree with the burgers. I've been dying to try Winghart's for a burger.
Had them yesterday. The burger was okish, but my girlfriend and I both got upset stomachs afterwards. Burgher's in Harmony is still my favorite place, although it's a hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,325,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Oh, in that case, I would have just stepped in front of them and said nothing. I am a pretty large person, which doesn't hurt in cases like that. I wouldn't strike a women though, just restrain.
Well, I was always raised to not only not strike a woman but to also go out of my way to be polite, courteous, and accommodating towards them. Gender had nothing to do with my reaction towards them, though, and neither did race. If they were two single white mothers or two single black fathers I would have still broached the issue in the same manner, and in ALL cases if I was asked if they COULD cut us in line for whatever reason I would have let it happen to be a nice person. It's just the simple "I don't care about anyone but myself" attitude that they exhibited that caused the altercation. All they had to do was have enough CLASS to ASK if they could cut in line instead of just walking in the side door, stepping in front of us, and then denying they did so (loudly, as if to intentionally draw the intention of those intimidating younger males nearby who were more built than my partner and I for some sort of anticipated "expected back-up"). I wasn't surprised that this happened there not long afterwards: Man Shot, Walks Into McDonald's - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/news/27670555/detail.html - broken link)

It's all old news now anyways, but that McDonald's is permanently punished by never seeing a dime from us again. Ditto the one near Trader Joe's. I guess that leaves the next nearest McDonald's as the ones in the Strip District (which I personally don't patronize intentionally because I don't feel like a drive-thru fast-food place belongs on Penn Avenue in the heart of the Strip), Wilkinsburg (which I doubt will be of much better quality than the two in East Liberty), and Shaler Township.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,178,579 times
Quote:
Expecting the person whom you are helping to keep employed via your sale to at least care enough about you to ensure you receive the RIGHT order, let alone are content with it, is not too much to ask in my eyes.
Exactly the reason I avoid most of the chains. I can go spend the same amount of money at our local chinese restaurant or pizza place and get superior service. If it comes down to it, I'd rather head home and make a PB&J for dinner than frequent a McDs or BK. Not trying to sound elitist, just usually a hassle I try to avoid.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 AM

29,645 posts, read 34,140,114 times
Quote:
As far as fast-food is concerned I like Chick-Fil-A the best, followed by Wendy's (although not the Baum Boulevard Wendy's any longer). Five Guys is right up there, too, for me.

I agree with the burgers. I've been dying to try Winghart's for a burger.
I'm surprised you go to Chick-Fil-A, since they company has associations to anti-gay organizations.

I never expect excellent service at a fast food place, so when I get decent service it's a nice surprise. It's no one's dream to work fast food, and it shows.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-29-2011 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,900,050 times
Probably the worst service we ever got in the Pittsburgh area was from a couple white girls working in a Dunkin Donuts in Monroeville. They were chatting on their cell phones and were very annoyed that they had to deal with customers at all.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,178,579 times
I've gotten the worst service at the Crafton/Ingram Subway that seems to only employ goth-ish high schoolers who probably couldn't care less about being there. So no, its not just a city thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm surprised you go to Chick-Fil-A, since they company has associations to anti-gay organizations.
I know. Jay5835 has chastised me several times for patronizing them. To be quite honest, though, I still intend to shop at the new Target in East Liberty once it opens, despite the hoopla not long ago in the national media about them being confrontrational and/or disrespectful towards our veterans. I developed my affinity for Chick-Fil-A long before I realized they funded anti-gay organizations. If I can't patronize McDonald's or Wendy's because their employees are inept and can never get orders right, if I can't patronize Chick-Fil-A because they dislike gay patrons, and if I don't want to schlep too far outside of town, then my fast-food options really dwindle. There's an Arby's along Forbes Avenue in Oakland I suppose if I'm in a bind. I can also just stick with Jimmy John's in Larimer and Five Guys in Oakland. For what it's worth (and not to sound like a broken record) I've also had bad experiences with food quality the past two times I ate at the Chipotle on Baum Boulevard, which, I know, is a very popular place.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,813,104 times
Maybe it is more geographical? I have gone to Glenshaw, Waterworks and Harmar and get great service every time, but I don't go often. I go to fast food sometimes on long trips to save time and driving to Florida the service is really great. A little slower down south, but that is okay because it is a style of life down that way. Driving to DC we usually stop by some fast food place for a quick bit and we get good service where ever we stop. Maybe I just get good service for some odd reason that is from the unknown?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Probably the worst service we ever got in the Pittsburgh area was from a couple white girls working in a Dunkin Donuts in Monroeville. They were chatting on their cell phones and were very annoyed that they had to deal with customers at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
I've gotten the worst service at the Crafton/Ingram Subway that seems to only employ goth-ish high schoolers who probably couldn't care less about being there. So no, its not just a city thing.
I just don't understand how these people are still employed, either. I've been trying in vain to secure a second job as an overnight stock associate at Giant Eagle. The existing "staff" (and I use that term lightly) at the Giant Eagle on Shakespeare Street in East Liberty, which I frequent, by and large couldn't care less about customer service. I, on the other hand, have many years of experience in various facets of sales, customer service, retail, and hospitality, including a year-and-a-half as a stock associate (direct experience), yet I can't get hired while these others who act like they don't even want to be there are retained.

It would be nice to know why I'm so "black-listed" in this city that I can't even get a menial second job. I realize this is diverging from the main inquiry of this thread of "Can any fast food place in this city get an order right?", but it's just demoralizing to think that employers see greater value in those girls chatting on their cell phones or those "goth-ish high schoolers" than in a go-getter with relevant experience.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

29,645 posts, read 34,140,114 times
Quote:
I know. Jay5835 has chastised me several times for patronizing them. To be quite honest, though, I still intend to shop at the new Target in East Liberty once it opens, despite the hoopla not long ago in the national media about them being confrontrational and/or disrespectful towards our veterans. I developed my affinity for Chick-Fil-A long before I realized they funded anti-gay organizations. If I can't patronize McDonald's or Wendy's because their employees are inept and can never get orders right, if I can't patronize Chick-Fil-A because they dislike gay patrons, and if I don't want to schlep too far outside of town, then my fast-food options really dwindle. There's an Arby's along Forbes Avenue in Oakland I suppose if I'm in a bind. I can also just stick with Jimmy John's in Larimer and Five Guys in Oakland. For what it's worth (and not to sound like a broken record) I've also had bad experiences with food quality the past two times I ate at the Chipotle on Baum Boulevard, which, I know, is a very popular place.
Or you could buy a loaf of bread and some peanut butter, make yourself a sandwich, and save some hassle and some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh