Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:45 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

out of all public universities in the US, Penn State ranked #1 in tuition in the 2009-2010 school year at $14,416, and Pitt came in at #2 at $14,154. This just goes to show how much of a hit state funding is having on our public universities. With my major at Pitt, I am paying close to $19,000 in tuition... I just graduated and plan to ne paying this ridiculoilus amount for a long time. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
out of all public universities in the US, Penn State ranked #1 in tuition in the 2009-2010 school year at $14,416, and Pitt came in at #2 at $14,154. This just goes to show how much of a hit state funding is having on our public universities. With my major at Pitt, I am paying close to $19,000 in tuition... I just graduated and plan to ne paying this ridiculoilus amount for a long time. Thoughts?
You do get into the semantics of Pitt and State Penn being "state-related" schools as opposed to the other 14 state-owned schools. I'm not sure to what degree this difference makes the "public universities" comparison an apples to oranges one, even if only in part.

State owned schools have a tuition of around $6,500 I believe.

Last edited by Lobick; 07-01-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Most Expensive Public Colleges - Cappex

They need to pay Nordenberg's salary of well over $500K.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Most Expensive Public Colleges - Cappex

They need to pay Nordenberg's salary of well over $500K.
Graham Spanier's at PSU was even higher.

Both schools along with Temple at this point are a kind of weird public/private partnership. Remember, Pitt was a completely private institution until the 1960s.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 AM

94 posts, read 134,272 times
Blaming the state budget for Pitt and Penn State's tuition increases is bull**** at this point. The fact is both of those schools rely on state money for less than 10% of their total operating budgets. On the other hand, state-owned schools like IUP, Clarion, and Slippery Rock rely almost entirely on state money, so any cuts to state funding would impact them to a much greater extent. However, when you look at the numbers, Pitt and Penn State have raised tuition at more than double the rate of the state-owned schools. I'm sure at one time tuition raises were needed to offset a drop in state funding, but both schools have long since passed that point. The reason tuition keeps going up is because the schools need to finance their building projects and increasing administrative costs.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picksburg Stillers View Post
Blaming the state budget for Pitt and Penn State's tuition increases is bull**** at this point. The fact is both of those schools rely on state money for less than 10% of their total operating budgets. On the other hand, state-owned schools like IUP, Clarion, and Slippery Rock rely almost entirely on state money, so any cuts to state funding would impact them to a much greater extent. However, when you look at the numbers, Pitt and Penn State have raised tuition at more than double the rate of the state-owned schools. I'm sure at one time tuition raises were needed to offset a drop in state funding, but both schools have long since passed that point. The reason tuition keeps going up is because the schools need to finance their building projects and increasing administrative costs.

This.

Plus, I think they're both keeping up with the perception of prestigious universities around the country, public and private. Tuition pricing is a tricky thing in that many perceive it's value to be what is charged. If both charged half of what they currently do, the education provided would be perceived by many as less valuable. This is far from the only factor, but it's there.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Tuitions will continue to increase up until people stop paying it.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Indeed. But college remains a very good investment (on average) even at these high tuition costs. So people will likely keep paying, and in fact pay even more.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I do think you are going to see more alternatives to college. I think college is a little dated in a way. If you are a graduating senior and you are very much into a particular field, you really would be better served to go to a school that focuses on it. For example, if you are into computer hardware, college is a waste of time. Website design is another type of field that college is a waste of time. Heck some of the kids graduation could teach the class. There are kids in my son's school that have Apps for Iphones roaming the halls. College for them is not the best use for their time IMHO. In many cases college is one big waste of money.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I do think you are going to see more alternatives to college. I think college is a little dated in a way. If you are a graduating senior and you are very much into a particular field, you really would be better served to go to a school that focuses on it. For example, if you are into computer hardware, college is a waste of time. Website design is another type of field that college is a waste of time. Heck some of the kids graduation could teach the class. There are kids in my son's school that have Apps for Iphones roaming the halls. College for them is not the best use for their time IMHO. In many cases college is one big waste of money.
Unfortunately there are many employers that are only concerned about where your diploma comes from; that line of thinking has to change first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh