Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times

Advertisements

I just thought it was interesting that, in discussing South Hills neighborhoods, the OP talked about Bon Air which has to be one of the smallest neighborhoods in the city, but totally skipped Brookline which is the second largest city neighborhood.

Oh and I drive through Castle Shannon (back streets even) all the time. Never once been carjacked. Or even felt like I might be. Seriously news to me that its a bad area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I just thought it was interesting that, in discussing South Hills neighborhoods, the OP talked about Bon Air which has to be one of the smallest neighborhoods in the city, but totally skipped Brookline which is the second largest city neighborhood.

Oh and I drive through Castle Shannon (back streets even) all the time. Never once been carjacked. Or even felt like I might be. Seriously news to me that its a bad area.
Don't forget depressing Dormont. Maybe that's why the line's out the door at the DorStop on weekends. Cramming pancakes into one's face must keep the blues away.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Dammit, I can't tell you how many times I've driven through Castle Shannon and had my car stripped to the frame by roaming bandits after I was just getting over my depression from driving through Dormont. I guess I'll just go home to Carrick and heat up some spoons.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Don't forget depressing Dormont. Maybe that's why the line's out the door at the DorStop on weekends. Cramming pancakes into one's face must keep the blues away.
Carb therapy! Better than Prozac.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Just popping in for my weekly mention that Mt. Oliver is not actually the post-apocalyptic wasteland that Uptown and the OP seem to think. "Avoid walking during day if possible?" Putting the borough on the same level as Homewood and the Hill District? That's ridiculous.

There is an unbelievable amount of senseless and ill-informed fear-mongering on this useless board.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:39 AM

28 posts, read 44,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post

Very bad! Avoid walking during day if possible... High elements of gang activity... Shapes local's way of life, so innocent are more than fare game... NEVER WALK OR IN A SMALL GROUP @ NIGHT:
Garfield (Broad Street and up)
Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar (especially Lower Lincoln)
Parts of Penn Hills, PA [west of Coal Hollow Road/Solter Townhomes/Leecburg Gardens & Hulton Arbors Apartment(s)]
Most of Hazelwood (south of Hazelwood & Flowers Avenues)
Most of Homestead, PA (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
What about the Waterfront development, which is in Homestead? I am hoping to take my son to a movie there when we are in town to watch the Buccos. (I have never been to the Waterfront). If it's crime-ridden, I'd rather stay away, as my son's safety comes first.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Oh sorry I never thought about that... Homestead EXCLUDING the Waterfront... I think of the Waterfront as the Northshore of the Steal Valley (Homestead, West Homestead & Munhall) it's not really residential so there's rarely any crime... There isn't even a dangerous feel/element to the Waterfront, plus its by far the BEST place to catch a movie.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
This has to be the most "wtf" post I've ever seen on this forum. I hope no potential Pittsburghers pay it any mind.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin20874 View Post
What about the Waterfront development, which is in Homestead? I am hoping to take my son to a movie there when we are in town to watch the Buccos. (I have never been to the Waterfront). If it's crime-ridden, I'd rather stay away, as my son's safety comes first.
Waterfront is fine, Homestead is not. Bright lights, cameras, and Best Buy's keep the monsters away or something.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Oh sorry I never thought about that... Homestead EXCLUDING the Waterfront... I think of the Waterfront as the Northshore of the Steal Valley (Homestead, West Homestead & Munhall) it's not really residential so there's rarely any crime... There isn't even a dangerous feel/element to the Waterfront, plus its by far the BEST place to catch a movie.
I have to respectfully disagree. Personally, I wouldn't really risk the Waterfront without a force of ruthless, armed mercenaries who will stop at nothing to protect me. That's the only way a person can really expect to make it out of Bar Louie or Omaha Steaks alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh