Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM

112 posts, read 162,048 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile, on the other side of the spectrum:

Victorian house in Carrick declared historic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 03:51 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I know what you are saying, H_Curtis. I thought about saving that "log" house in Lawrenceville, too. But I remember the pictures -- it was extremely chopped up and it was hard to tell how you could do anything with it. But I'm very sad it is being torn down! It just re-confirms that Lawrenceville, one of the oldest city neighborhoods, SHOULD be a city historic district!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I know what you are saying, H_Curtis. I thought about saving that "log" house in Lawrenceville, too. But I remember the pictures -- it was extremely chopped up and it was hard to tell how you could do anything with it. But I'm very sad it is being torn down! It just re-confirms that Lawrenceville, one of the oldest city neighborhoods, SHOULD be a city historic district!
It probably will have historic homes, but when they are cut apart to that extent, I think it gets silly.

I tried to buy a home on Beech Ave. in Allegheny West many years ago as a rookie. There was a garage in the back that was about ready to fall over. It was "historic" because it was boards and batten. It was a useless structure and wasn't allowed to be touched. What a joke. I lost out on the home due to my inexperience and dealing with Petrack Real Estate. They ripped me off twice, but I learned a lot dealing with the likes of them. I learned if they won't present offers you need to just bypass them and go to the seller direct. Not normal, but some agencies are not very fair.

Sometimes you have to use common sense. Those buildings are just material to build another building.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM

I did think the $49k asking price for the home in Lawrenceville was unrealistic -- for a home that was basically a shell that you could see through the walls, needing complete rehab. I'm sorry, but you can still find liveable row-houses in Lawrenceville for that amount. I think if the house had been priced more realistically, it may have found a preservation-minded buyer.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:08 PM
gg

Quote:
I did think the $49k asking price for the home in Lawrenceville was unrealistic -- for a home that was basically a shell that you could see through the walls, needing complete rehab. I'm sorry, but you can still find liveable row-houses in Lawrenceville for that amount. I think if the house had been priced more realistically, it may have found a preservation-minded buyer.
I might have been a buy in the $20's, but I don't remember the price that well. I should look that property up again. I remember there being good interior pictures. I love odd properties like that. When restored to what they are supposed to be they are easy to sell if all the numbers work. I usually sell homes within a week of them being on the market.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I might have been a buy in the $20's, but I don't remember the price that well. I should look that property up again. I remember there being good interior pictures. I love odd properties like that. When restored to what they are supposed to be they are easy to sell if all the numbers work. I usually sell homes within a week of them being on the market.
H_Curtis, supposedly the houses I wrote about on Boyle Street, that were on the city's demolition list, may be put on the market in the near future (if the demolitions can be prevented). If you are interested in one of those houses on Boyle St. as a project, I can forward you the contact info of the person in the know.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
H_Curtis, supposedly the houses I wrote about on Boyle Street, that were on the city's demolition list, may be put on the market in the near future (if the demolitions can be prevented). If you are interested in one of those houses on Boyle St. as a project, I can forward you the contact info of the person in the know.

The problem I see with Boyle St. is that it looks like it is right in the path of AGH expansion.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The problem I see with Boyle St. is that it looks like it is right in the path of AGH expansion.
Boyle St. is soon going to be included in an expanded historic district. AGH would have a real fight on their hands if they attempted it.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:50 AM
gg

Quote:
Thanks. I am in negotiations on another building in the city right now, but not sure if I am going to get it or not.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
All that is why I support moving the log home to the park, where it could be restored as an historical display of sorts, rather than a modern residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh