Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times

Advertisements

Learned on a VW, best car ever was a Toyata Celica, great ride. Got 110 miles out of one clutch with a Mazda Protege. My guess is "sticks" will soon go away like manual windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:08 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
I doubt it. Especially since you can still get cars with manual windows.

And because of how many people specifically want manual transmissions.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I think it would easier to learn now -- I know in my car I don't even need to use the gas in first gear to make it start rolling -- no stalling out. What would cause that? Fuel injection? Because I remember how hard it was to learn to slip first without stalling.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,828 times
I just bought a brand new car last week with a manual trans- yep they still make them! All my cars over the years have been automatics but my first car as a teenager was a 1975 Subaru Brat that was a stick. God I loved my Brat! Why did I go back to a stick? I bought a brand new Kia Soul ( one of those little urban SUVs) and It's fun to drive it with manual. I also paid under $13k and it's loaded so the price of manual is easier on the wallet, Plus I like the better gas mileage I get with a stick vs. automatic.

Driving a stick is easy-be patient with yourself and you will be fine! Probably the most challenging task that you will encounter with driving a stick is coming to a stop sign ( or stop light) that is on top of a hill. Pittsburgh will give you ample experience with this driving situation! If you experience driftback then you may need to engage the e brake . When the light turns green then simultaneously lift your foot off the clutch and disengage the e brake while accelerating the gas pedal.

Did you ever drive a motorcycle? I used to ride dirt bikes and motorbikes so when I first started learning to drive a stick that helped make it much easier to learn.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
It is a niche market though at this point in the US. Something over 95% or more of vehicles sold here now are automatics. I don't know what it's up to, probably 98% these days, haven't looked up the current number.

Manuals are good to have as an option in any sporty car, for those who want it. It's good in a really small car where it can help preserve what little power the engine has. The fuel mileage advantage has mostly gone away, but in a little car with small engine you'll still get a big acceleration advantage with a stick. And for some truck applications and maybe 4WD/off road you might be better off with a manual if you know what you're doing. For everything else, it's probably not too necessary. Nobody's buying a manual in a Toyota Camry these days, nor would there even be a particularly good reason to. (A very few people might want it, yeah, not even enough to bother producing it though.)

Now with the rise of the true "automated manual" (as opposed to a typical automatic slushbox) we may eventually see the death (or nearly so) of the clutch pedal and perhaps the traditional floor shifter.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
I hope not.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
I'm never giving up my manual shift again. I had an automatic for three years out of the thirty that I've been driving and hated it. Love my 5-speed Honda Fit.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
What is the benefit of having a manual transmission instead of an automatic transmission? I'm honestly just curious.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What is the benefit of having a manual transmission instead of an automatic transmission? I'm honestly just curious.

FUN to be sure.

Less wear and tear on the brakes; better gas mileage; great in the snow; and chicks dig guys that drive sticks.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Manuals are more economical on the gasoline, and traditionally have cost considerably less than an automatic as well.

I used to drive an 87 Sprint with a 5 speed and got 50 mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: