Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post
My brother is opposite of you. He hated the winters, the snow and the cold and moved to Tampa in 2002. he has faced numerous bumps in the road but he has a decent job now.

I like the warm weather and am tired of winter. I'm also 48, so that affects my viewpoint.
I'm the opposite of him. Pittsburgh summers make me sick as it is and I complain there isn't enough snow in Pittsburgh. I'd considering living in Northwest PA or Western NY if it wasn't so depressing in more ways than one or boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 04:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
We're moving to PGH for the same reasons, except I refuse to give this state another 10 years, been here 10 years already and feel like I'm 80! I am DONE with FL and Tampa in particular where the slogan should be: "Come here, we welcome people who will work for free"!!!!!!!!

Just came back from the Carolina's where we spent 90% of the time outside hiking on real trails, to smack back indoors 90% of the time! its so damn hot and miserable outside. August is not here fast enough for us right now! LOL

I could NOT agree more with this:
Quote:
Imagine if i could move to a real city and have the opportunity to take a real vacation and actually spend a week or so on the beach as a tourist.
That is precisely how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum061 View Post
Thanks for the response Penguins fan. I moved to Tampa in 1989, i am now 43. I hate the cold too but after 22 years of mostly summer, life has gotten humdrum. There seems to be a glass ceiling down here that if you are making anywhere between $ 30,000 - $ 40,000, you are doing great for Florida. Whatever. I have weighed the pros and cons and I am still evaluating everything. The only thing i could come up with is that you can wear short sleeves in the winter. Big deal. Been there and done that for too long but this southern mentality of "they pay you in sunshine" does not cut it. i have to work so hard to make ends meet that i am lucky if I even get to the beach 1 - 2 times a year. Imagine if i could move to a real city and have the opportunity to take a real vacation and actually spend a week or so on the beach as a tourist. Isn't that ironic. But anyway, I love Pitt, love the Steelers, the Pens, love the downtown, love the food, love the neighborhoods and I could deal with the cold. I want to come home!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
We're moving to PGH for the same reasons, except I refuse to give this state another 10 years, been here 10 years already and feel like I'm 80! I am DONE with FL and Tampa in particular where the slogan should be: "Come here, we welcome people who will work for free"!!!!!!!!
I'm in Pittsburgh for the exact reason you and beachbum061 mentioned - Florida wages (or lack thereof). I grew up in Orlando, went to college at USF and never found a job that paid above $30k until I moved up here. There's nothing more frustrating then working your butt off so hard for long and NEVER earning enough money to make a life for yourself. I feel like I wasted my 20's and early 30's slaving away "working for sunshine".

Many Pittsburghers have an unrealistic view of Florida, they think it's some glorious paradise and they would do anything to live there. It's a great vacation spot, but they have no idea how hard it is to actually make a living there. And then there's the unrelenting heat and humidity... I'll take Pittsburgh's 4 seasons any day over that. I actually enjoy the weather up here.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I'm in Pittsburgh for the exact reason you and beachbum061 mentioned - Florida wages (or lack thereof). I grew up in Orlando, went to college at USF and never found a job that paid above $30k until I moved up here. There's nothing more frustrating then working your butt off so hard for long and NEVER earning enough money to make a life for yourself. I feel like I wasted my 20's and early 30's slaving away "working for sunshine".

Many Pittsburghers have an unrealistic view of Florida, they think it's some glorious paradise and they would do anything to live there. It's a great vacation spot, but they have no idea how hard it is to actually make a living there. And then there's the unrelenting heat and humidity... I'll take Pittsburgh's 4 seasons any day over that. I actually enjoy the weather up here.
Don't tell that to the yinzers. They'll say you're nuts for hating the south and that Pittsburgh is some hopeless dump that will never be great again because the mills are gone. I can also see why wages are so low there because there are a lot of idiots moving down there so if one person won't take the job, someone else eventually will.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
I have lived in Miami, Orlando and Sarasota and they are all very different from one and other. I really liked the Venice, FL area the best by far. Tampa is okay. I probably like Dunedin the most in that region. Orlando isn't very nice with its 97-98 degrees every single day in the summer. Best to be on the coast so it is 92-93 degrees with a little breeze. I always looked forward to a rainy day down there for a break from that sun.

For those that say, you can't move from Florida to Pittsburgh, I don't think you know what you are talking about. I am living proof. Went to college in Florida was in Orlando in my early 20's and then Miami and later in Sarasota area. Pittsburgh has way more to offer than most of Florida in arts and quality of life. Weather is subjective. Not everyone wants hot ALL the time. Sure Orlando can get below freezing rarely, but it is rare. The winter months in Florida are pretty good. I prefer late March early April, unless you are talking about Miami and the Keys. That is the best weather much of the year, but Miami is so aggressive and intense. Ft. Lauderdale is a little better, but like Miami you better have lots of money to enjoy life there, IMHO.

I might retire in Florida, but I hope to just have a second home there. That would be ideal, but it will be when I am older, not in my 40's.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
So true....

Its the commercials inviting people to spend money here under false pretenses! Imagine having your car AC busted and being stuck in THIS traffic! In cold, you can cover up, in the heat, well, there isn't much more you can take off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post

Old 07-11-2011, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 18,033 times
Glad to see that there are others who have experienced Florida and also realized that the American dream cannot be lived here. I do think that everyone should always leave where they were raised and pursue the place of their dreams. This allows you to look back and see that place from a distance and see it for what it is. That is what i did. Follow the dream to "paradise" and realize that as the years go by, home really can be greatly appreciated. So now, when I come back and I am tempted to complain about the cold, I will look back at what I am really missing in Florida. I will know that it is nothing and that sunshine can't pay the bills. If that is all this place has to offer, then I am not interested.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Glad to see that there are others who have experienced Florida and also realized that the American dream cannot be lived here.
It all depends what you want and like. The dream can be lived anywhere.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Glad to see that there are others who have experienced Florida and also realized that the American dream cannot be lived here. I do think that everyone should always leave where they were raised and pursue the place of their dreams. This allows you to look back and see that place from a distance and see it for what it is. That is what i did. Follow the dream to "paradise" and realize that as the years go by, home really can be greatly appreciated. So now, when I come back and I am tempted to complain about the cold, I will look back at what I am really missing in Florida. I will know that it is nothing and that sunshine can't pay the bills. If that is all this place has to offer, then I am not interested.
Don't tell that to the businesses and Florida boosters who tell you you'll be paid in sunshine.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM

110 posts, read 193,682 times
thought I post this link in case you or anyone else is interested
Finance and Accounting - Business Line Controller I jobs in Pittsburgh at BNY Mellon (http://jobs.bnymellon.com/pittsburgh/finance-and-accounting/jobid1579975-business-line-controller-i-jobs - broken link)
came across this and thought someone could use it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh