Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times

Advertisements

SEA awards Civic Arena demolition contract

This is good news for us wanting to see things progress sooner rather than later. Even if I were in favor of saving the Civc Arena, I knew such a thing was not possible and demolition inevitable. That is why I would not waste my time and energy trying to preserve it. That would not make me apathetic, just realistic. There are some things that you just cannot stop. A dome in the middle, not on the fringes of a development site has no chance of survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
If this was the Old Morgue or the Burke Building, I would be chaining my body to the building right now.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
If this was the Old Morgue or the Burke Building, I would be chaining my body to the building right now.
Oh boy. It's Friday night, and I could think of something funny to say now, but I'll "restrain" myself.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Nice to see the contract going to a local firm too.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM

110 posts, read 193,644 times
Oh man I saw my first real rock concert there, man it will be so strange not to see that shiny dome anymore, I'm amazed they do not integrate it into the development they did this with the , is it the Hearst building, in NYC they built a new building but saved the old building by integrating it into the design, can you imagine seeing a sky scraper built right up through the center of it and use the old Civic Arena section as a parking garage, stores, eateries and apartments/office complex.
Yeah hopefully they will save something of the domes to use in this development it would be a shame to lose completely even if it is just for show or a piece taken to the history center, that was the first retractable dome built and it inspired all retractable domes, oh well time is time, good bye Civic Arena you will be missed but never forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh