Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,056 times

Advertisements

Your husband can't live in Sewickley if he's on call at a city hospital. To me, if you can afford it, Squirrel Hill can't be beat. A high end neighborhood, with all of the city amenities within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfam6 View Post
No need to lecture me about supporting him.
Yes that was a classless, probably sexist statement by that poster. This isn't "Green Acres" anymore.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM

472 posts, read 623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
if you're husband is on emergency duty its his repsonsiblity to be at the hospital STAT and sure he does not want to hang out out waiting. Being on call like that can take a toll on ones lifestyle and health. I suggest you support your husband and his job and move close to the hospital.
The moment this thread went from City, Suburb advice to am I supportive significant other 30STM????

Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Your husband can't live in Sewickley if he's on call at a city hospital. To me, if you can afford it, Squirrel Hill can't be beat. A high end neighborhood, with all of the city amenities within walking distance.
If the requirement is that he has to be 30 minutes from the hospital, and the hospital is in Oakland, I believe Sewickley would work. Of course, all these hospitals are relocating so that's just a presumption on my part.

A 30 minute drive is likely to translate to about 15 miles in urban/suburban driving. The OP should get a compass and a map, draw a 15 mile circle with the hospital as the center. Then actually drive to some of the areas and see how long it takes.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If the requirement is that he has to be 30 minutes from the hospital, and the hospital is in Oakland, I believe Sewickley would work.
If dealing with the public schools isn't an issue, and it isn't, why would you want to have to drive from Sewickley instead of Squirrel Hill?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:02 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,334,940 times
Because its nicer than anywhere in the city and income tax is 1% instead of crappy city 3%. They also might like a garage and adequate services like snow removal..

Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Because its nicer than anywhere in the city and income tax is 1% instead of crappy city 3%. They also might like a garage and adequate services like snow removal..
That is certainly debatable. Sewickley is beautiful, though.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If the requirement is that he has to be 30 minutes from the hospital, and the hospital is in Oakland, I believe Sewickley would work. Of course, all these hospitals are relocating so that's just a presumption on my part.

A 30 minute drive is likely to translate to about 15 miles in urban/suburban driving. The OP should get a compass and a map, draw a 15 mile circle with the hospital as the center. Then actually drive to some of the areas and see how long it takes.
Try driving from Sewickley to Oakland in half an hour during a weekday. It will never happen. You can burn up 10-15 minutes just navigating through Oakland during the morning or evening rush.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM

472 posts, read 623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post

I beg to differ. If your requirements are over priced car dealers and private schools than yes Sewickley is "nicer" but if your requirements are centrally located near all the best restaurants, parks (and hospitals) than Squirrel Hill is actually nicer have you been on Beechwood Boulevard or any of the streets above Fifth Avenue these houses cost millions of dollars for a reason. As for snow removal, the best part about the city in the winter is you can leave your car buried under the snow all winter and take a bus wherever you need to go.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM

524 posts, read 1,030,959 times
The benefit of being in the East End neighborhoods of the city are numerous, especially as you homeschool. There are museums, parks, the zoo, walking trails, along with many classes and activities geared towards children. As a homeschooler, I imagine you will want to take advantage of many of these resources, and living out in the suburbs and having to pack the kids up and drive everywhere could get old quickly. In neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, or Point Breeze, you can just take the kids out for a long walk, and make it a learning activity while you're getting them some fresh air and activity. The city parks are really wonderful for kids, and imho it would be great to live near enough to one of them to walk.

Living in Fox Chapel or the other northern suburbs, you're either confined to your home environment or resigned to driving everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh