Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Funny to read the reviews of the place. Wow, seems it is getting attention.

Mc Dain Golf Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think so - the legality of their policy will rest on whether it's legally considered discriminatory to ban kids of certain ages (and i am pretty sure it is not), not on whether the presence of kids was a concrete problem in the restaurant in the past.
As someone pointed out earlier children have very few individual rights until they become adults. That being the case, I think it all depends upon the angle the owner takes in defense of his rule. If he can prove that unruly behavior is leading to hazardous environment for adult patrons then it might fly. If kids are running around and bumping into waiters or tables and food ends up on the floor often enough then such a ban might be legitimized.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Are you serious? I think he'll get more business. I plan to eat there sometime after the initial swell of new patrons dies down. .
Yes, I'm serious. No one's going to be able to take thier family out to dinner there anymore, even if they are well behaved children.

Quote:
No one belongs in a restaurant who can't behave, and "he's just a baby" is no excuse for someone screaming at the top of his lungs or banging his toy car on the table while other people are trying to enjoy a nice meal. I wish every restaurant disallowed people who can't or won't behave, for whatever reason.
It's not just kids under 6. It's preteens, teenagers and drunk barflys over age 21. It looks like they are trying to cater to the bar patrons. If that's the case, he's going to be a hypocrite.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
It's not just kids under 6. It's preteens, teenagers and drunk barflys over age 21. It looks like they are trying to cater to the bar patrons. If that's the case, he's going to be a hypocrite.
It is an interesting view, but I believe we still are in the US and that being said an owner can cater to whoever they like. If you don't like it, you don't go there. Pretty simple. Not sure why people would get upset over it? Hooters was gone after very hard because the style of the restaurants was all about women in a certain outfit and of course the name, Hooters. It made me sick that there was a group or so that was all crazy after them for having a style. These freedoms of owners of establishments need to be intact, if nothing else, for freedom sake. Goodness, no one wants everything the exact same. What choices would we have?

The answer is simple. If you don't like the rule in place, just don't go. Not a big deal either way. There are countless places for kids. Most every place except smoking bars. If I was to open a really high end restaurant I would have a no child under 10 policy. There is a time and place for kids. They have a 99% run of about everywhere and if there is some tiny place that is off limits, who cares?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is an interesting view, but I believe we still are in the US and that being said an owner can cater to whoever they like. If you don't like it, you don't go there. Pretty simple. Not sure why people would get upset over it? Hooters was gone after very hard because the style of the restaurants was all about women in a certain outfit and of course the name, Hooters. It made me sick that there was a group or so that was all crazy after them for having a style. These freedoms of owners of establishments need to be intact, if nothing else, for freedom sake. Goodness, no one wants everything the exact same. What choices would we have?

The answer is simple. If you don't like the rule in place, just don't go. Not a big deal either way. There are countless places for kids. Most every place except smoking bars. If I was to open a really high end restaurant I would have a no child under 10 policy. There is a time and place for kids. They have a 99% run of about everywhere and if there is some tiny place that is off limits, who cares?
How often have we seen a sign posted in a retail establishment or restaurant stating "we have the right to refuse anyone service" or "no admittance without shoes and a shirt" etc.? Pretty clear in the eyes of the law here I think that the owner can decide whom or whom not to serve.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 07-13-2011 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Personally, I get sick and tired of bawling children whenever I go out to eat, especially when I'm with a woman. Nothing destroys a romantic mood like a hysterical child. They're loud and out of place. If you have enough money to enjoy fine dining, then you have enough money to hire a babysitter like my parents did when I was too young for fine dining.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:10 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
I don't know the place, so I don't know if your "cater to the bar patrons" is anything more than speculation on your part. But even if it is, very little is as annoying to me in restaurants as kids who scream, cry, carry on, run around, play with beeping toys, and bang toys on tables.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM

I just want to know, to the people who are in favor of the ban, do you have kids?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
I just want to know, to the people who are in favor of the ban, do you have kids?
I do not. But if I did I would not expect everyone to cater to them.

I wonder how many kids actually care about this.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I don't know the place, so I don't know if your "cater to the bar patrons" is anything more than speculation on your part. But even if it is, very little is as annoying to me in restaurants as kids who scream, cry, carry on, run around, play with beeping toys, and bang toys on tables.
I don't know the place myself, so I'm just guessing/speculating. But kids that act unruly aren't going to be unruly in just restaurants, but in stores, church, busses. Are they going to ban kids at these places too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh