Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Children under six banned from Pennsylvania restaurant McDains | Herald Sun

I have no problem with any business owner having a rule like that in place. They are getting quite a bit of press over it. Will it end up in court because it is discriminatory? I hope not, but the media has gotten hold of it and it will no doubt be challenge by some extremist group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Even though I'm a parent and love kids, I have no problem with a restaurant or store choosing to ban kids under 6. Children can be very annoying in a restaurant, and the parents trying to control them are sometimes worse. There are plenty of other restaurants, so families have lots of places to choose from.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:09 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
If it goes to court I suspect the owner will have to provide documented cases of very bad behavior by children in the restaurant as well as bad parenting during these episodes in order to justify the new rule.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
If it goes to court I suspect the owner will have to provide documented cases of very bad behavior by children in the restaurant as well as bad parenting during these episodes in order to justify the new rule.
That's going to be hard to prove. I also think he's going to lose a lot of business over this and end up closing shop within a year orr two.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Whatever the case, this makes me want to check this place out. It's ridiculous that people think all of society should cater to their kids.

Perhaps it hasn't occurred to them that the only reason other places are "family friendly" is to get their money. Good for this place.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
How could this be discrimination? People under 6 years old are not a protected class.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
That's going to be hard to prove. I also think he's going to lose a lot of business over this and end up closing shop within a year or two.
Are you serious? I think he'll get more business. I plan to eat there sometime after the initial swell of new patrons dies down. No one belongs in a restaurant who can't behave, and "he's just a baby" is no excuse for someone screaming at the top of his lungs or banging his toy car on the table while other people are trying to enjoy a nice meal. I wish every restaurant disallowed people who can't or won't behave, for whatever reason.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
He probably already doesn't get a lot of business with kids, so making it official like this gets lots of publicity. I've sure never heard of that place before just now.

Is this the one getting national headlines though? I didn't think that one was around here.

Huh, I guess it was. I thought I remembered seeing the headline on CNN.com, and they do have it here: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...iref=allsearch though it originates from WTAE (local to us) looks like.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
My husband and I have been joking for years now about wishing there was a ban like this Very surprised anyone would actually do it - I hope he really knows his customer base and that his business survives/thrives.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Last time I was in a restaurant that had a child of under six, the kid was screaming a lot, messing with a clock on the wall and the clock stopped, so it may have been broken and the area where the kid ate was a total mess. Oh and the kid was walking all over the booth seat. Was it worth having that family there? No. It was disruptive and the clean up was ridiculous. Some parents are really okay with such behavior I guess.

I think it will be tried in the media. It is moving coast to coast and fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh