Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 AM

264 posts, read 492,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nice answer and this is someone that knows the area. I need to study this a bit. Hate that traffic coming into the tunnels. What about taking 79N to 65E if you are coming in on 22? I don't think traffic would be an issue, but maybe it is a little too far?
65 always seemed too far out of the way for me to justify driving it daily to avoid traffic...but if the OP is only making the trip occasionally that could be another alternative.

I drove from McDonald to Oakland every day for a little over a year and was determined to find the holy grail of shortcuts to avoid the parkway mess every morning, but I never did. I finally moved to the city, and now can be in Oakland in under 10 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
The following can be hit or miss depending on times, but...

Take the Greentree exit, hang a right down Greentree Road, make a left onto Carnahan Road. At the first stop sign, make a left onto Crane Avenue. Follow Crane Avenue to the intersection with Banksville Road. Hang a left out Banksville Road and you'll be at the Banksville merge point on the Parkway. You can easily merge left back into traffic to head into the Fort Pitt Tunnel.
Cutter! You are cutting in line!!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post

I drove from McDonald to Oakland every day for a little over a year and was determined to find the holy grail of shortcuts to avoid the parkway mess every morning, but I never did.
Maglev.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM

264 posts, read 492,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or you can continue straight on Crane to 51, where you can make a left to take the shortcut over Mt. Washington or continue to the West End, or make a right to get to the Liberty Tunnels.
My favorite way to avoid the Liberty Tunnels and the light that sometimes backs traffic up McCardle Road: 51 to Warrington to Boggs to William St, which is a little one way road that snakes its way down the side of Mt. Washington to Arlington. Never any traffic that way, although potholes and deer are plenty.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
My favorite way to avoid the Liberty Tunnels and the light that sometimes backs traffic up McCardle Road: 51 to Warrington to Boggs to William St, which is a little one way road that snakes its way down the side of Mt. Washington to Arlington. Never any traffic that way, although potholes and deer are plenty.
Sycamore St will get you down to Carson, too.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Nice answer. What about taking 79N to 65E if you are coming in on 22? I don't think traffic would be an issue, but maybe it is a little too far?
Quote:
65 always seemed too far out of the way for me to justify driving it daily to avoid traffic...but if the OP is only making the trip occasionally that could be another alternative.

I drove from McDonald to Oakland every day for a little over a year and was determined to find the holy grail of shortcuts to avoid the parkway mess every morning, but I never did. I finally moved to the city, and now can be in Oakland in under 10 minutes
79 to 65 is my favorite way around the Tunnels when coming from Robinson...

People poo poo it (which is why I like it so much) because it seems like its going out of the way to a lot of folks.

But you have to look at it like this every time I've had to use the detour both 79 and 65 have been wide open...Very little if any stop and go traffic (save for the MKR Bridge) and its very direct (no turns or anyways of getting lost in the neighborhoods)...Getting on 79N from the Parkway to coming across the Ft Dqu Bridge into Downtown is 15 to 20 mins tops for me.

I have been a fan ever since they've added that missing ramp from the inbound Parkway to 79N

Now with 65 getting that massive construction project, the benefits have been pretty much killed until the construction is over.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
79 to 65 is my favorite way around the Tunnels when coming from Robinson...

People poo poo it (which is why I like it so much) because it seems like almost going in a circle.

But you have to look at it like this every time I've had to use the detour both 79 and 65 have been wide open...Very little if any stop and go traffic (save for the MKR Bridge) and its very direct (no turns or anyways of getting lost in the neighborhoods)...From getting on 79N to coming across the Ft Dqu Bridge into Downtown is 15 to 20 mins tops for me.
I might give it a try and time it. It isn't that far away.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
I also suggest using Crane Avenue. You can either turn left onto Banksville and continue to the Ft. Pitt Tunnel, or take the exit on the right to 51 and continue to the Liberty tunnel. Or you can continue on Crane until it dead ends into 51 and then take the liberty tunnel.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Sycamore St will get you down to Carson, too.
Need some good brakes.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Now with 65 getting that massive construction project, the benefits have been pretty much killed until the construction is over.
That's true, definitely don't take 65 for the next 4 months.

It sounds like you're going to Oakland to Pitt/UPMC? Not 100% clear, but if that is the case this makes taking Crane (as described above) all the way to Rt 51 the best option to me. Go straight across Banksville Rd on Crane. Turn right when it dead ends on 51. Then ramp down to Liberty Tunnel and Liberty Bridge, ramp up to Blvd of the Allies just on the other end of the bridge, make a right, then ramp down to Forbes.

Last edited by greg42; 07-13-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh