Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Even lots of dumpy bars have rules, "no tank tops". The dumpiest places probably it is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Even lots of dumpy bars have rules, "no tank tops". The dumpiest places probably it is okay.
I know plenty of bars on the South Side have them, but aren't they to deter gangs?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:06 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If you feel that way, don't ever eat out. That solves it for you. Lots of cooks take pride in what they do. Sure there are some idiots, but considering how few people are coming home sick and how many people are eating out, I suspect very little problems are in kitchens. Of course if you fall for media hype which is common amongst the dim, then you probably think ALL kitchens are a mess and everyone is out to get you.
Wow h, even for you that retort is WAY out there...

I eat out all the time, by the way. I just tend to not let the little things in life like what other people wear bother me so much.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:09 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
I'm more concerned about the kind of person inside the hideous clothing than the clothing itself. As long as what they wear is clean and not too tacky then I'm OK with it. You can't judge a book by its cover all of the time.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I know plenty of bars on the South Side have them, but aren't they to deter gangs?
Ah, the age old question... which is scarier, gangs or really hairy armpits?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Wow h, even for you that retort is WAY out there...

I eat out all the time, by the way. I just tend to not let the little things in life like what other people wear bother me so much.
Way out there? You compared it to this: "Better than what probably slothed off the line cooks face or hands into the dish you are eating.."

Not sure what they have to do with each other?

I am happy places to eat have some sort of dress codes. As generations pass the young seem to want to prove to everyone how much they don't care to prove a point to the people who are wearing suits to work. They are just making a statement. "Hey look at me, I don't care what I wear, so that makes me different." But are you?

I stopped by the Bicycle Cafe last night for the first time. It was kind of funny that everyone in there dressed the same, well except for me who had a golf shirt tucked in and dress shorts with a belt. I felt like everyone was in some cult trying to fit in, just like you would see on Wall Street except in their own cycling rebellious garb. Don't they know they are the same as the Wall Street people? Just wearing what everyone else does to try and fit in. I remember back in the day I had a Harley and went to some of the parties and such. I would show up in shorts and a colorful T-shirt. Everyone, and I mean everyone had a black shirt and jeans with boots, or maybe a white T-shirt. I looked around and thought, I really am not into clicks much and this isn't for me. I mean people looked at me like I was from Pluto. Too funny.

Look, I don't care that much what you wear, but if you think you are different because you are wearing flip flops and dressed like a slob, you really are just trying to fit in with the people that you think you have like minds with. I just am glad there are dress codes even in the dumpiest places that make it harder to walk around to look like, "hey look at me, I don't care". Meanwhile, the people that are saying that are just trying to fit in with a click.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 AM

472 posts, read 626,604 times
Sittin in a cubicle decked out in my METH LAB FORMAL!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
When it's 90+ damn degrees and humid as hell, like this week, I place a lot of value on being able to wear what I want as is the case here in our little office downtown. I never wear anything too ratty, and I don't wear printed or patterned t-shirts, just solid colored ones, but I will wear shorts when the high temp is going to be near or over 90. (Today was close so I went with the shorts.) I won't, however, tuck my shirt into my shorts. I can't get around that being ridiculous looking even on the old men that do it.

I sure don't follow any trends though, at least not purposely. I often get frustrated that I can't find things the way I want them because they change them around too much or whatever, even if I shop in the same place a lot. I've been dressing essentially the same basic way for years, although I have shifted away from collared polo-type shirts to crews mainly. I still have polos in my closet but mostly haven't worn them in a couple years or so. If chosen well I don't find a crew neck to be a significant downgrade in "dressiness", especially in winter. Others will take the traditional road and disagree I'm sure.

I haven't owned a real suit in, well, ever, that I can think of. I have had a jacket here and there, a few ties, etc.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM

346 posts, read 537,215 times
Seeking Pittsburgh fashion advice...

I'm currently addicted to goofy screen print t-shirts with like brand logos, cartoon characters, or goofy sayings on them... Is that "okay" or is that a fashion faux paus. I"m 27 btw. Examples below.

Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IBV-OqyzL._SX270_.jpg

http://t-shirtguru.com/product-image...rt-80stees.gif

Make It Rain Tee review at Kaboodle

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jacksp...or%20favor.jpg

http://www.agoodseller.com/images/No...-GiveAHoot.jpg

Like everytime I see these shirts I want to buy them.... then I'm like... wow what a dork I am.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM

472 posts, read 626,604 times
If you buy that Duck Tales shirt get me one! It's awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh