Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any mommy and me class south of the burgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 10:48 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,679 times
I can't speak for the South area, but my township has a great Parks and Recreation Department that has classes for kids (and their parents) as young as one.

Also, our local library has a great programs for kids as well, also starting as young as one. Story time always involves more than just a story, the kids play games, sing songs, do a craft, eat a snack, watch a video, etc. all with parental involvement. I love the old school videos that they show, most of them are older than me!

If you have a Barnes and Noble nearbly, they also do a weekly story hour. However, it is usually less involved than ones offered at the library, just a story and a quick craft.

There are also localized mom groups on meetup.com and other sites, but I have never been interested in them. There is a Gymboree in Mt. Lebo that offers classes, I am sure someone from that area can tell you more.

Good luck! Nothing beats spending time with your little one!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,087 times
I am not good with geographical Pittsburgh terms. I know this is not on the south side, but it might be worth a drive. "My Little Outback" on Murray in South Squirrel Hill is pretty new. It is not Gymboree and I am not sure if it is what you are looking for. My kids are too old and I don't know anyone that has been there, but it looked interesting to me.

It appears that I excell in not knowing!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:28 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,604 times
Why not just, you know... Spend time with your kid without someone else leading you through it? Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but the whole concept of "Mommy and Me" makes me think there are too many people who don't know how to be parents popping out kids anyhow.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:02 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Why not just, you know... Spend time with your kid without someone else leading you through it? Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but the whole concept of "Mommy and Me" makes me think there are too many people who don't know how to be parents popping out kids anyhow.
If you were not trying to sound like a jerk I would be afraid of seeing you trying to sound like one. (i am afraid I am about to find out).

Jewelrymom,

Finding other moms and groups is important for kids and ADULTS! My kids are older but I remember wishing for adult conversation with & without my kids. I also don't think people understand the disconnect kids and parents encounter. Unless you live in a cookie cutter neighborhood it is hard to make friends. If you live in the city, 20 kids the same age within 6 blocks don't know eachother because they all attend different private, charter or public schools.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 AM

Hey cool you didn't answer the question.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 AM

7 posts, read 12,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post

Seriously? For starters, anything that gets parents and children spending time together is a good thing (classes, storytime, Gymboree, Parks and Rec, whatever...). Classes offer a great opportunity for like-minded parents to meet, socialize, and build support networks. It also creates a great structured environment to help children begin learning the social skills needed to be successful in life. Finally, classes are just that - a class - they give parents and children the opportunity to learn fun new skills that they might otherwise miss. There is no downside to taking a child to a stimulating activity.

Seems you might be one of the "too many people who don't know how to be parents" ...?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 AM

You'll probably note that I don't spend any time around children, let alone would I stoop to the level of producing any of my own.

So fortunately that doesn't make me a hypocrite!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelrymumma View Post
Does anyone know of any mommy and me class south of the burgh?
Where in the SH?

There's a Gymboree in the Galleria Mall. Further down in Peters there's a place called the Little Gym. I've never taken my toddler to a Mommy & Me class (so many less options for working moms), so I can't vouch for anywhere in particular.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:13 PM

137 posts, read 274,610 times
try musictogether.com - i'm pretty sure they have some instructors in Pgh. We love our instructor here in Atlanta and I'm hoping we'll enjoy it up there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh