Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 AM

45,363 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Brookville is just south of the snowbelt and gets less snow than the higher elevations of the laurel highlands. The snowbelt begins around Sigel and north. I have the better part of two decades of experience to support this.

That being said, if you are afraid of snow or changing seasons then I would avoid both locations - just buy a Cadillac and move to southern Florida like everyone else.

Ok, right. Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Brookville certainly wouldn't be my choice if someone is asking for a place that isn't in the snow belt. Sure it gets less snow than that actual snow belt, I agree and go through there all the time, but it gets more snow that Pittsburgh and is colder. There are better choices, IMHO.

This whole thread is pretty odd. If you don't want snow go a little further south. It doesn't take much. Places in North Carolina (Eastern) and such are much more mild in the winter.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM

45,363 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The closest to out of the snow in PA is probably down around Carlisle, and it will get dumped on fairly regularly when storms come up the coast (those ones that shut DC down).

It's east of the mountains which tend to wring the snow out of storms on the western slope.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Ok, right. Whatever.
The snow belt is a new thing to me, too -- but it's about the proximity to the Great Lakes (in PA's case Erie). The snow closer to the lake gets higher and deeper. So it's not that the OP doesn't want snow, it's that the OP doesn't want snow like Buffalo NY gets...

Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The snow belt is a new thing to me, too -- but it's about the proximity to the Great Lakes (in PA's case Erie). The snow closer to the lake gets higher and deeper. So it's not that the OP doesn't want snow, it's that the OP doesn't want snow like Buffalo NY gets...
The snow belt runs down through the mountains around 7 Springs and Somerset areas. It isn't just about the lake effects. I am not sure the true definition of "snow belt", because when I looked it up it talked about lake effect, but all the locals know Somerset is part of the snow belt and that isn't by Lake Erie at all.

There are countless places to live that aren't in the "snow belt". Saxonburg, Freeport and Leechburg come to mind.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:36 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Brookville is not out of the snowbelt, or if it is I hallucinated all the snow I shoveled growing up.

Realtors in Brookville tend to not post their listings on the internet so don't take that as an indication of few listings. A couple of them won't answer emails either unless they recognize the sender's name.

Okay, so how does that work for them? No listings and no communication???

The orginal OP asked about the snow belt and I sort of jumped in with her. Since we are nearing retirment, shoveling snow isn't high on my list of fun but it is better than having your home blown away by the storms that hit the middle of the country this summer. I grew up in northern Ohio but I was younger then and shoveling snow didn't bother me that much all those years ago. For me, it is easier to handle the cold than high humidity.

I also looked at the growning zones and there seems to be small corner of SW PA that tends to be a little warmer.

Thanks to all who have shared and I'll keep on reading if you'll keep on writing.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Ligonier, PA is a beautiful town that is located about 50 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. It has an awesome downtown with a small business district, a decent stock of historic architecture, and access to state parks and real wilderness.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Ligonier, PA is a beautiful town that is located about 50 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. It has an awesome downtown with a small business district, a decent stock of historic architecture, and access to state parks and real wilderness.
Ligonier is very nice indeed.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM

250 posts, read 359,687 times
Laurel Highlands are great, it's where I'm from, but probably the worst choice in West PA other than Erie area if minimizing snowfall is the goal.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Laurel Highlands are great, it's where I'm from, but probably the worst choice in West PA other than Erie area if minimizing snowfall is the goal.
I agree the Laurel Highlands gets snow, but I thought Ligonier doesn't get that much. Correct me if I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh