Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:43 AM

388 posts, read 848,924 times

Advertisements

Sorry this is so long, as its been a long process for me. I know to fully understand what I need to do, I need to actually visit, but any help you can give before that would be very kind.

I am currently in the military and am getting out to go to school in a few years. I am originally from Annapolis, MD and dont think I can go back due to the cost of living. I have been doing A LOT of research on where my family should live(wife, kid) and I've come down to either Pittsburgh or Frederick, MD. I know those are two completely different types of places, but I kind of want more of an opinion on Pgh than Frederick.

For those wondering I came down to those cities due to what I want to go to school for(comp sci), and the fact that both of those cities have schools that I can use my G.I. Bill to the fullest(Frederick has Hood, and Pgh has RMU, Pitt, and Duquesne). I also want to be near(within 6 hr drive) family still in Annapolis, and my wife also has cousins that live in New Castle. I also want to live where there is a lot of cultural and sports attractions, and ooutdoors activities which both have(Frederick is 1 hr from Baltimore and DC, and Pgh has amazing attratctions).

Now to get into my actual issues. I think my main issue with Pgh is what I am sure is an overblown issue of the weather. I have been all over the world in my military travels, and have seen some pretty crappy weather while I was in Belgium, but it seems everyone is always talking about the weather in Pgh. Is it so noticable that its all you think about, or is it decent enough that when youve been there a while, you kind of dont realize the weather anymore? Also, how often does it snow in Pgh, and is often and light or is it more less often and heavy? The other thing with this is how noticible is the air quality? Would I get up in the morning and smell how bad the air quality is on the way to my car?

Another big issue of mine is crime. Where I lived in MD, I was about 30 min from Baltimore, so I am familiar with crime areas, but Baltimore is very segregated, you know exactly where you shouldnt go and where you can go to be safe. How is Pgh with this? Are there very well defined areas with crime, or is it just sporadic throughout the whole city? If I were to move there I would live in the southern suburbs and would likely only go to the city for sporting events, or the musuem or zoo or just to walk around market square or point park. How safe are these areas to just walk around by?

Speaking of sports...being from MD another issue, which may be a non-issue is that of football. While its starting to wane for me due to this lockout situation, I have been a die-hard Ravens fan for a long time now. I understand the huge Steelers sports culture in Pgh, and was wondering how the fans in Pgh are. If I go to a Ravens-Steelers game in a Ravens jersey, am I going to get jumped walking through downtown to get to the game?

Lastly I know this is something I can only get by going to Pgh, but how is the feel of the city? Sometimes I look at pictures and think of how amazing Pgh looks, and other pictures just make Pgh look like such a grimy and dirty city that I couldnt imagine walking around in.

I appreciate anyone who takes their time to read this and extra thanks to anyone that provides any constructive help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
IMO Pittsburgh would be more fun. You're going to find a lot more to do in Pittsburgh than in Frederick. Frederick is a sweet little town but it's quite a distance from the cultural and sports centers (although they do have things like small art galleries and a minor league team).

Weather is a subjective thing, and that's something only you can decide for yourself. Pittsburgh has many overcast days, but some people (like me) don't mind that at all. Other people mind it a lot.

Pittsburgh is also the more affordable choice. OTOH if you're going to be looking for work, it may be easier to find a high paying job in Frederick or other nearby towns, since it's part of the DC metro area.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
I can't tell you how you'll "feel" Pgh., but I can tell you a friend of mine was going to spend $350,000 on a house near Frederick that would have been a nicer if it had been in Pgh. So it should at least be more affordable here than Frederick.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:19 PM

268 posts, read 374,400 times
The weather is overblown.... I mean the region really doesn't suffer many extreme weather events. As far as the overcast days, there's not much of a difference between Pgh and Frederick, MD in the summer; however, Pgh winters are a lot cloudier (that tends to be the biggest complaint). Here's a way to think about it: Pgh summers= partly sunny/partly cloudy; Pgh winters= cloudy (low sunlight exposure). Pgh has a higher snow frequency than Frederick, MD, but the amounts typically are 6 in or less. A few times we'll get more than 6 inches or even a foot. It tends to vary each year.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I had figured as much on the weather being overblown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Pittsburgh is also the more affordable choice. OTOH if you're going to be looking for work, it may be easier to find a high paying job in Frederick or other nearby towns, since it's part of the DC metro area.
Really? I was actually thinking the complete other way around. Well, I guess if I were to commute all the way to DC, but I was thinking more within the local area of Frederick. I'm not big on long commutes, thats why I figured within a half hours drive there would be many more job opportunities in Pgh than in Frederick. Thats actually one of my biggest drawbacks to Frederick. That and the affordability of Pgh vs Frederick.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post

Really? I was actually thinking the complete other way around. Well, I guess if I were to commute all the way to DC, but I was thinking more within the local area of Frederick. I'm not big on long commutes, thats why I figured within a half hours drive there would be many more job opportunities in Pgh than in Frederick. Thats actually one of my biggest drawbacks to Frederick. That and the affordability of Pgh vs Frederick.
I'm not sure how much opportunity is right in Frederick but it's 5-10 miles to the Dulles Tech Corridor, where a lot of the jobs are these days. The Tech Corridor is about an hour west of DC. There are lots of companies opening or moving to Ashburn and Leesburg, which is straight down 15 from Frederick. Gaithersburg also has a good number of jobs. You could also drive to DC if you wanted to, but a high percentage of the jobs are out in the western burbs.

Having said that, though, I'd still vote for Pittsburgh. Frederick is great if you like being away from the city, but it sounds like you might enjoy being in a city a lot more.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-23-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 03:00 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,564 times
[quote] Another big issue of mine is crime. Where I lived in MD, I was about 30 min from Baltimore, so I am familiar with crime areas, but Baltimore is very segregated, you know exactly where you shouldnt go and where you can go to be safe. How is Pgh with this? Are there very well defined areas with crime, or is it just sporadic throughout the whole city? If I were to move there I would live in the southern suburbs and would likely only go to the city for sporting events, or the musuem or zoo or just to walk around market square or point park. How safe are these areas to just walk around by? [quote]

First off, here in Pittsburgh, home of the Steelers, there's no areas nearly as deep seeded as the gang ridden hoods of Baltimore. Yet, we do have gang neighborhoods which for the most part have been affiliated since the late 80's-early 90's. There are crime hot spots throughout the city and the county, but they are all adjecnt to another hood... Though don't get it twisted! Our worst neighborhood, Homewood, is in walkable distance from our nicest, Squirrel Hill. Some of the rough neighborhoods are timely being gentrified by the officials, while other areas are plummeting deep into a downward spiral!

Heres a list of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas to avoid living in or traveling through at night alone or in a pair because of gang related/drug related crime. Some may avoid walking in these areas in the day due to personal standards, but just use street smarts if you do... *Note the main business streets/avenues are often safe...*(categorized for Pittsburgh standards)

Very, Very Bad! High element of deep seeded gang activity which is present to everyone in Pittsburgh.
Homewood South
Homewood North (especially Molher Projects)
Homewood West
Terrace Village (especially Elmore Square & Bently Drive)
Bedford Dwellings (especially Chauncey Drive)
Middle Hill
Most of East Hills (mainly Wilner & Park Hill Drive Projects)
Northview Heights
Larimer
Parts of Wilkinsburg, PA (Central Wilkinsburg= Franklin, Park Tringle, Hunter Park, the High School Area & Princeton Park)
Most of Duquense, PA (south of train tracks/Parkview Estates)
Most of McKeesport, PA (central mainland area=west of Grandview Avenue)
Beltzhoover
Knoxville
Most of Mt. Oliver, PA (Mt Oliver Borough)

Very bad! High elements of gang activity...
Garfield (Broad Street and up)
Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar (especially Lower Lincoln)
Parts of Penn Hills, PA [west of Coal Hollow Road/Solter Townhomes/Leecburg Gardens & Hulton Arbors Apartment(s)]
Most of Hazelwood [south of Hazelwood and or Flowers Avenue(s)]
Most of Homestead, PA (excluding the Waterfront and a few small safe pockets)
Part of Fineview (only Allegheny Dwellings Projects)
Most of Clairton, PA (east of 6th Street-east of Vankirk Alley/Soltis Drive projects)
Part of West Mifflin, PA (only MonView Heights)
Arlington (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Allentown
Arlington Heights (what's left)
St. Clair Vilage (what's left)
Mt. Oliver
Crawford Roberts Hill (mainly Reed Roberts Manor, but Crawford Square excluded)
Glen Hazel

Bad, yet not that bad in comparison... Elements of gang activity mainly present to residents [yet usually only effects the dealers and users]:
Part of Manchester (Upper Manchester)
Perry South (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Californa-Kirkbride
Most of Marshall-Shadeland (south of Young Park)
Part of Spring Hill (only Three Rivers Manor)
Part of Sheraden (east of Sheraden park-west of Narcissus Avenue)
Part of Crafton Heights (only the Greenway Projects)
Fairywood (Emerald Gardens excluded)
Parts of East Liberty (north of East Liberty Boulevard/Penn Plaza, East Liberty Gardens & Negley Commons)
Most of Carrick (west of Brownsville Road-north of Agnew Avenue)
Part of Swissvale, PA [south of Florence & Columbia Avenue(s)]
Part of North Braddock, PA (south of the Braddock & Monongalhela Cemeteries)
Most of Braddock, PA (north of Braddock Avenue)
Rankin, PA (especially Hawkins Village)
Parts of McKees Rocks, PA (east of Third Street Park-Broadway Street area/housing projects)

Edgy... Lower elements of gang activity that typically effects the dealers and users involved.
Part of South Oakland (south of the Boulevard of the Allies-east of Bates Street)
Most of Upper Larwanceville (south of 54th Street)
Part of Central Northside (north of Jacksonia Street)
Part of East Allegheny (only East Dutchtown)
Parts of North Versailles, PA (Crestas Terrace area/the Rolling Woods Estates, Cliffview Gardens, Parkridge & Eastland Apartments)
Part of Wilkinsburg, PA (Hamnett Place, Singer Place & Upper Central)
Part of East Pittsburgh, PA (only the housing projects)
Part of Baldwin, PA (only Leland Pointe Apartments)
Most of West Oakland (west of Robinson Street)
Smidgen of West Homestead, PA (area adjacent to Homestead)

Color Code is gang affiliaton not nesiscarlly gang colors:blue is Crips, Ducce Crips, So Icey Boyz & Darccide, red is Bloods, G Blood sets, Gute Block & MOBs, black is OGz, HoodTown Mafia, LAW Gang, LPGs & Eastwood Boyz, green is Westside Convicts, grey represents white which is Tre Eights, G's & Goons, orange is Other/Unknown to me

Last edited by Uptown kid; 07-23-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Wow, I really appreciate that list, very extensive. I didn't see what I think to be where I am considering(mt Lebanon/bethel park or moon) on that list, so that is heartening. Of those neighborhoods, where would the stadiums, market square and point park fall? Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,564 times
Point Park is in Downtown aka our Central Business District. Apartments/hotels are the closest things to residential areas so there's no street gangs claiming turf, but everyone has to watch their back and use street smarts! Just like in every other big city's downtown there maybe be deranged homeless people, druggies, rapest, kidnappers, gang members, white suppremist, although the last example was extreme... The stadiums are across the bridge in the North Shore which is safe, yet watch out for the intoxicated

Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Wow, I really appreciate that list, very extensive. I didn't see what I think to be where I am considering(mt Lebanon/bethel park or moon) on that list, so that is heartening. Of those neighborhoods, where would the stadiums, market square and point park fall? Thanks again.
Downtown is fine. And keep in mind that Pittsburgh isn't nearly as gang-infested as Uptown Kid wants us all to think. Are they out there? Sure, but if you mind your own business you'll never notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh