Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Furthermore, it just does not fit in a city like Pittsburgh that has become more progressive in culture and is not southern. It is an urban city in the northeast with an industrial past. For the present and future, the city will be dominated by eds and meds, not podunks.
Perhaps you weren't around for the Kenny Chesney concert a couple of weeks ago and the very large turnout I saw all over the southside, downtown & the north shore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:26 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Perhaps you weren't around for the Kenny Chesney concert a couple of weeks ago and the very large turnout I saw all over the southside, downtown & the north shore...
A token concert is different than a large permanent restaurant celebrating the culture at one of the more popular neighborhoods in the region. Country music superstars play all cities from Boston to LA. That does not mean that they should build shrines to these artists in cities whose culture differs greatly.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM

377 posts, read 652,114 times
Quote:
A token concert is different than a large permanent restaurant celebrating the culture at one of the more popular neighborhoods in the region. Country music superstars play all cities from Boston to LA. That does not mean that they should build shrines to these artists in cities whose culture differs greatly.
I actually think country is very very popular in the Pittsburgh area. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Toby Keith restaurant do very well if it does open.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchya View Post
I actually think country is very very popular in the Pittsburgh area. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Toby Keith restaurant do very well if it does open.
It would do well initially, as people would come in from the Hinterlands to eat a deep fried pickle. I don't know if it would have the staying power of a Hofbrauhaus.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
It would do well initially, as people would come in from the Hinterlands to eat a deep fried pickle. I don't know if it would have the staying power of a Hofbrauhaus.
While not my thing personally, Country music has a large following even in the central urban city areas here (i mean, really, you don't to be a sister lovin, single toothed, uneducated past 3rd grade, hillbilly to be a fan; one can be a banker, lawyer, doctor, engineer, etc & also prefer that genre of music - much like hiphop is not limited to african americans), among many people that I know who are professionals.

Oh, and deep fried pickles are pretty good.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:00 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
I actually think country is very very popular in the Pittsburgh area. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Toby Keith restaurant do very well if it does open
It's not very very popular. It has about the same amount of popularity as other cities that aren't typically historically country music oriented.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Oh the reverse "racism;" podunks, come on now. Just because some of you "metrosexuals" don't like country and nascar doesn't make it unpopular to many in the SW pa area. And just because you are in denial, doesn't make it so.

PS - I hate nascar but it is very popular, even within the PGH metro. I do enjoy country but not the typical "radio" country.

I think that type of res. would do well and would be just another option, which great cities have many of.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
I'm not a fan of country music (except I like Alt-country bands like Wilco), but I could see the restaraunt doing well for a short time, meaning, how long will Toby Keith be popular? When his poularity wanes, will the restaraunt? Novelty restaraunts normally don't survive too long either. Look where Planert Hollywood or Nascar Cafe (or whatever it was called) is now.

I also really can't see it at South Side Works. In the 'burbs maybe.

Last edited by raubre; 07-27-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I think a restaurant like that would do the best in the North Hills. I don't think it will last long on the South Side.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,662 times
This restaurant would do fine here. If I had to pick a few words to describe the Pittsburgh metro area, "country" would be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh