Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I do not believe it will be entirely section 8 stuff. The article said mixed income meaning there will be some market rate housing in addition to subsidised. Crawford Square (in the Hill District) is an excellent example of how this will work.

I took the story to mean it was going to be more like the Allequippa Terrace to Oak Hill transformation.

Crawford Square was assembled from privately owned parcels, and has a lot of owner occupied residences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
I do not believe it will be entirely section 8 stuff. The article said mixed income meaning there will be some market rate housing in addition to subsidised. Crawford Square (in the Hill District) is an excellent example of how this will work.
It may be what is called a "project-based" Section 8 assistance program, which typically works just like that: the developer promises to reserve a certain number of units for lower-income households, and in return gets rent subsidies for those units. The difference from the voucher program is the subsidy stays with the unit, as opposed to being portable with the tenant.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I took the story to mean it was going to be more like the Allequippa Terrace to Oak Hill transformation.
Here is an older article with some details on the plan, and they reference Oak Hill as one of the models:

Addison Terrace complex eyed for demolition, rehab - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

It also references seeking federal funding for the project, as we have been surmising.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM

398 posts, read 699,062 times
Quote:
I was referring to the difference between the current number of units and the planned number of units. That's another 340+ households that will inevitably be Section 8, destroying more neighborhoods throughout the city.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:38 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
I was referring to the difference between the current number of units and the planned number of units. That's another 340+ households that will inevitably be Section 8, destroying more neighborhoods throughout the city.
Actually the article says that of the 734 units in the old place "The authority has been leaving units vacant for some time", so its not clear how many of those 734 units have people in them currently; it may or may not be more then the new project handles, the article doesnt say either way.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Section 8 programs could be improved, but it is infinitely better than the projects approach.
What is the difference between "Section 8" and "the projects"? I thought they were one and the same.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times
Section 8, otherwise known as the housing choice voucher program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.
Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.
A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.
A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

The idea behind Section 8 is to avoid concentrating poverty in the traditional housing projects.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,176,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The idea behind Section 8 is to avoid concentrating poverty in the traditional housing projects.
When in reality section 8 housing tends to cluster in specific areas and have much of the same effect that projects did.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
When in reality section 8 housing tends to cluster in specific areas and have much of the same effect that projects did.
Of course. People that are working hard, don't want to live in section 8 areas. All this stuff is like that silly head start program. One huge waste of money. Glad they have all that money to spend though. I mean we are in great financial shape and have no worries at all levels of government. Did we get our credit cards upgraded, so we can spend more yet? I figure they will raise the debt ceiling soon. I mean, we don't want to pay for this stuff, we want to pass it on to our kids. Lets just live great and not worry about the next generation. I am sure the history books will tell what we did, but we will not be here and it is okay.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
I wonder how projects like this will be affected by federal budget cuts? They're going to have to take money from a lot of entitlement programs, and public housing seems like a likely target to me. If they eliminate Section 8, do you think that would help or hinder a place like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh