Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:03 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,032,431 times

Advertisements

I am sad to report that the Old Stone Presbyterian Church in Esplen (West End) has been demolished.

This was the last surviving historic landmark in Esplen.

Here is how the building looked when I photographed it in January, 2010:

As you may be able to imagine, I am not happy right now.

It was always my goal to nominate this building as a historic landmark with the city, when and if I became a city resident again. Now, it's too late. It's just an empty, hay-covered lot.

It was one of my favorite buildings. It almost looked like a mini Richardson court house.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 07-30-2011 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 AM

315 posts, read 665,026 times
its a shame there aren't any other churchs that no one goes to anymore still standing in pittsburgh

Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I am sad to report that the Old Stone Presbyterian Church in Esplen (West End) has been demolished.
Sure is an amazing building to tear down. Guess if there are no buyers, that is it. Pittsburgh does love to tear things down though. Surprised no one bought it and made it apartments or a home. That place looks awesome!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,096 times
I hope they at least didn't just waste all the nice stonework & other decor elements that I am sure would be present on a church of that type & age.

Does someone have plans for that lot? Tearing it down just to tear it down is a complete waste... its not like, even if completely abandoned, such a building would be either an eyesore or structurally dangerous (at least from the looks of it).

Old 07-30-2011, 10:48 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
I don't know if I can make you feel better about this, but I can suggest why demo'ing is done far more than you'd like.

We took down our old family home in Cranberry after mom died. The land is zoned commercial, so it would have gone anyway, and it was in dire shape. Somehow it felt right that *we* did it vs someone else doing it.

Anyway, one of the things we were told was empty buildings are "attractive nuisances". And as such, it was hard to find insurance. AND -- what's worse -- no matter how you barricade and mark the property no trespassing, if little Jimmy decides to use the house as a flop house, sets it on fire and kills himself, little Jimmy's mother can sue and she will win. And there goes my mother's estate. More than one person told us this.

Now it's bare land -- and if Jimmy chooses to go onto the land with all the no trespassing signs, and falls and hurts himself, we ARE protected, because there's really no reason for him to be on the land.

And empty houses are a BIG problem.

Mom had moved from the house to a senior living apartment, and in the year and half she lived there, the house had been broken into several times, and yes -- in Cranberry, it was being used as a flop house -- there was drug paraphernalia there.

So -- I don't like the idea, but I get why all the demolishing happens....

Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
I agree that it should have been saved. Looks like it could have made a good apartment building.

The other thing I hate to see being torn down is schools. I was unhappy to see that my old elementary school Eastmont is no more. Just like the idea of schools living on and providing a link between generation after generation of children.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
The roof of the church fell in this spring. The building was a hazard to other buildings in the area, so the city had no choice at this time but to take it down.

Building Inspectors Called To Vacant Church On Oregon Street In Esplen « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,537 times
How quickly is the demolition of a building reflected in lower taxes on that property? (Being that even a building in disrepair will be assessed higher taxes than a vacant lot.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by article cited above
Officials say the structure was built back in 1893 and is a former Presbyterian church. It has been abandoned for decades. It had previously been condemned.
The time for preserving historical structures is before they've been "abandoned for decades". They say rust never sleeps. Neither does rot.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
How quickly is the demolition of a building reflected in lower taxes on that property? (Being that even a building in disrepair will be assessed higher taxes than a vacant lot.)

This particular building was owned by the Esplen Citizens Council for the past 15 years, and was in arrears for the taxes.

There was a lot of procrastination here, and they apparently were never able to find someone to do anything with it.

Allegheny County Assessment

Old 07-30-2011, 03:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
This particular building was owned by the Esplen Citizens Council for the past 15 years, and was in arrears for the taxes.

There was a lot of procrastination here, and they apparently were never able to find someone to do anything with it.

Allegheny County Assessment
Well if they couldn't find any use for the property in 15 years, then that kind puts the writing on the wall, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh