Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,838,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
But as the money becomes more and more worthless it won't matter if you made an honest $50 at a minimum wage job or got a $50 welfare check, neither are going to go very far, and everyone is going to be mad about it. And the least informed will react the worst.
Luckily we are not at the point yet where people are carting wheelbarrows full of dollars to the grocery store to buy bread, nor is anyone starving or anything like that, so we're back to the conclusion that the acts of these juveniles are nothing more then some terrible individuals with no respect for themselves or others rather than any commentary on our current economic situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM

250 posts, read 357,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Luckily we are not at the point yet where people are carting wheelbarrows full of dollars to the grocery store to buy bread, nor is anyone starving or anything like that, so we're back to the conclusion that the acts of these juveniles are nothing more then some terrible individuals with no respect for themselves or others rather than any commentary on our current economic situation.
Never said it was commentary of any sort. I don't know why people think I am implying this, I feel I have been pretty clear. As long as the dollar goes down, people will get poorer, and these kinds of reckless respect-less attitudes will spread. That is all.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:25 AM

802 posts, read 1,315,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am confused. The article posted is about Philly. I don't want to be a jerk, but Philly is VERY different from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is tiny in comparison. Also, Philly has more crime than Pittsburgh and is used to it. I can't compare what goes on in Philly to our tiny little situation with a few teens that messed about with some toys in Target and made people nervous. No one was hurt here, but believe me Pittsburgh will react because it is... well different in these parts. If something like that happens again, watch. It could get pretty ugly fast. Not much tolerance here, but people didn't think something like that would happen out of a church gathering.
You're not a jerk at all for pointing out the differences between the two cities.

Even if Pittsburgh was the equivalent size of Philly, and the same thing was happening there with mobs, I feel the police and city officials would act quickly to stop it. There's a lower tolerance level in Pittsburgh for this. Plus the police could probably use tear gas.

Your city's low tolerance for this nonsense is one of the reasons I like Pittsburgh. Don't get me wrong I also like Philly but the attitude here is to let the mobs keep it up....until it results in a serious injury or a fatality.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times
So.....

does all this mean Pittsburgh is seeing a new trend? Or was it an isolated incident?

It sounds like what you guys are saying is Pittsburgh has a low tolerance for this sort of thing and will nip it in the bud.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,683,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
This Sunday wilding episode was a first for Pittsburgh.

Since they did nab a few, and there are video cameras in the store, they should be able to identify at least a couple of more.

The key is to make an example out of them, let others know that they will really have the book thrown at them for this kind of thing.

Maybe drag it out for a couple of months, arrest only 1 a week or so, let the others sweat it.
Depends on how you define "wilding". I define it as a mob mentality whose main goal is to screw things up and/or hurt random strangers. Earlier in thread I posted an incident of an 8 on 1 attack on a random person last year that is basically the same thing.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,764,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
So.....

does all this mean Pittsburgh is seeing a new trend? Or was it an isolated incident?

It sounds like what you guys are saying is Pittsburgh has a low tolerance for this sort of thing and will nip it in the bud.
100%, isolated incident. I mean, it was very mild and happened once. If it happens two more times, then we have a trend, IMHO. You can't have a trend with a one time thing, but the old saying, monkey see monkey do might apply at some point. We shall see.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
100%, isolated incident. I mean, it was very mild and happened once. If it happens two more times, then we have a trend, IMHO. You can't have a trend with a one time thing, but the old saying, monkey see monkey do might apply at some point. We shall see.
I like that you said it takes two more times to make a trend. I agree, even there is a single copy cat incident it doesn't mean much. It's when you have several incidents that you have a trend.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:29 PM

I love how the opening of Target was picked up by every news publication in the city but it being vandalized is severely under reported.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 PM

747 posts, read 1,225,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I love how the opening of Target was picked up by every news publication in the city but it being vandalized is severely under reported.
A few teens vandalized the toy section @ the East Liberty Target, News @ 11.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
A few teens vandalized the toy section @ the East Liberty Target, News @ 11.
100 teens =/= "a few".
3 stores vandalized =/= 1 "toy section"

Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh