Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:33 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times

Advertisements

I just want to point out that this is a forum for local issues. If you want to fight over politics, there's a special forum just for that. Let's focus on the topic here, ok ?
Yac.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Just a casual reminder:

The Pittsburgh area desperately needs a solution to the state's ongoing transportation crisis. Corbett's commission has made its recommendations, and the state legislature is waiting for Corbett to act (obviously they don't want another debacle like the shale extraction tax, which they were working on only to have Corbett announce he would veto any such tax):

Transportation committee waiting for Corbett's stance on funding proposal - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Awaiting Corbett on highway work - Philly.com

So where's Corbett?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
I dont even want to think about what will happen to Pittsburghs economy if PAT needs to cut again....

Old 09-13-2011, 07:54 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So where's Corbett?
On this issue? It'll be easier to find Waldo.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:04 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I dont even want to think about what will happen to Pittsburghs economy if PAT needs to cut again....
It will not be good. I believe PAT has projected another large deficit that will arrive in June 2012 if nothing happens by then.

Corbett better decided on some stance as legislation is going to take time since there will be pushback. Tick tock..

Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
It will not be good. I believe PAT has projected another large deficit that will arrive in June 2012 if nothing happens by then.

Corbett better decided on some stance as legislation is going to take time since there will be pushback. Tick tock..
Yes and let me tell ya....Back when I was home in Aug was my first chance to experience riding PAT since the 15% cuts.....and it was a hurtin'....Buses have very long headway and they are packed especially anything running through Oakland...

Even at night and on weekends buses are overflowing....It is insane.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 AM

A broad coalition of interest groups is rallying support behind the Commission's recommendations:

Coalition gathering support of increased fees for transportation

But as the article notes, action depends on the Governor. So where's Corbett?

Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 AM

Same story, legislature wants to move ahead, and Corbett is still MIA:

GOP lawmaker drafts funding plan to fix Pa.'s roads, bridges

However . . .

Quote:
Spokesman Kevin Harley said, "The challenge is how we pay for our aging infrastructure in these challenging economic times." He said Mr. Corbett would voice his intentions about transportation funding "in the very near future."
On the one hand, Corbett actually saying something would be good. On the other hand, that is pretty ominous--no endorsement of the Commission's proposals, and continued suggestions that the "challenging economic times" are a counter to our need to spend on transportation (which is the opposite of the truth--this is the perfect time to be spending on transportation, because costs are lower and it would provide needed jobs).

Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Well we know where Corbett's priorities now lie...

Quote:
Corbett: No hurry for transportation fees due to economy

Read more: Corbett: No hurry for transportation fees due to economy
He more concerned with maintaining a tax free Marcellus Shales than fixing the dysfunctional and antiquated transportation situation across the state...

Its funny he's sooooooo worried about the rise in unemployment but puts an job producing bill like infrastructure improvements on the back burner...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Ugh. Thanks a lot, Tea-Party Tom.

Edit: By the way, it amuses me that after many, many months of thinking and studying and general rumination, he is still terribly confused about what to do. I look forward to his veto announcement if the legislature dares to produce a bill--"I might have signed this, but I am still thinking about it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh