Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Ugh. Thanks a lot, Tea-Party Tom.

Edit: By the way, it amuses me that after many, many months of thinking and studying and general rumination, he is still terribly confused about what to do. I look forward to his veto announcement if the legislature dares to produce a bill--"I might have signed this, but I am still thinking about it."
I still don't buy your tea party view. I think corbett is wrong here, but that's the issue itself, not some conflation of national politics.
I think he lacks the courage to do this since he may hurt his reelection chances...that's usually the trouble with infrastructure, by the time the change is noticable, some other guy is in office. one hopes that even if they don't pass a long term solution, they at least pass a stepping stone. we'll see, there's been talk of using liquor privatization monies for transportation though I don't know if that will go anywhere. everyone seems to be on a different page (scarnati, the house, and corbett) despite being the same party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 02:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I still don't buy your tea party view.
Of course you don't.

Quote:
I think corbett is wrong here, but that's the issue itself, not some conflation of national politics.
It is pure politics, admittedly of the state not national variety, but the Tea Party is not just a national movement of course.

Specifically, Corbett promised the Tea-Party-types in Pennsylvania that he wouldn't impose new taxes. But everyone who has objectively looked at the issue, including his own commission, has said we need to increase some taxes in order to provide more funding for transportation. And Corbett hasn't actually denied that. But he has made up lame excuses not to do anything anyway.

So, Corbett is choosing to honor his promises to the Tea-Party-types rather than to do what is best for the state. Hence, "Tea-Party Tom".

Quote:
I think he lacks the courage to do this since he may hurt his reelection chances.
Probably. But making Tea-Party-type promises in order to get the political support of Tea-Party-type voters and Tea-Party-type contributors, and then keeping those promises against the best interests of your state because you are afraid of losing the support of those Tea-Party-type voters and Tea-Party-type contributors, makes you a Tea-Party-type politician.

Quote:
we'll see . . .
I think we may need to invent a term "pman units", the equivalent of Friedman Units for application to this issue:

Friedman (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
everyone seems to be on a different page (scarnati, the house, and corbett) despite being the same party.
That's exactly how the Tea Party types are destroying the Republican Party from within. As I noted above, there are lots of Republicans in the state legislature who are not going to be able to escape the wrath of the voters when our transportation system collapses. And that is traditionally how PA has stumbled along--when push comes to shove, people in both parties find a way to work together to at least prevent a near-term disaster.

But this time, Tea-Party Tom is preventing his fellow Republicans from saving themselves. Unfortunately, he is also going to take the rest of us down with them.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
Disappointingly predictable:

Action on transit bill could wait until 2012

Old 10-28-2011, 01:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
it's frustrating because the legislature clearly wants to do it now, not next year
Quote:
Schoch said Corbett might opt to push to ramp up any new taxes or fees more slowly and rely on borrowing at today's low interest rates to fund infrastructure investments while revenue slowly increases.

He also said Corbett was planning on making changes to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to save money that won't require legislative approval.
PennDOT secretary says Gov. Corbett to issue transportation funding plan "in a few weeks" | PlanPhilly: Planning Philadelphia's Future

Last edited by pman; 10-28-2011 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Using debt for a couple years before starting to increase revenues makes sense. But I hope this is not yet another attempt to run out the clock.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 AM

A reminder about the consequences if Corbett continues to block a solution:

Port Authority braces for another slash to service

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Maybe someone can clue me in on the Port Authority Transit issues.

I've read some of the articles on this situation and they indicate that the main problem is 'legacy' pension and healthcare costs, negotiated at a time when management was awarding themselves (and workers) hugely inappropriate post-employment pensions/benefits. As I understand it, this has been scaled back for people retiring going forward.

If this is the case, then why not just let Port Authority go through bankruptcy reorganization so the courts can reduce the bloated pensions and benefits created by previous management? This would make the Authority's cost structure more reasonable and Pittsburghers wouldn't need state funding, service cutbacks and increased fares to the degree they would without the bankruptcy.

Am I wrong here?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
A reminder about the consequences if Corbett continues to block a solution:

Port Authority braces for another slash to service
This is like they're (politicians)watching the car head for the cliff at 50 mph and eating popcorn. ...This just sickens me...that Pittsburgh's entire economy can collapse AGAIN! because of failed actions of one Boneheaded Governor.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
One positive, maybe it would get more people walking and/or biking who could use the physical activity

Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
This is like they're (politicians)watching the car head for the cliff at 50 mph and eating popcorn. ...This just sickens me...that Pittsburgh's entire economy can collapse AGAIN! because of failed actions of one Boneheaded Governor.
I cannot for the life of me understand why a higher priority isn't placed on funding mass transit in Pennsylvania.

I was reading the Post Gazette article and if these cuts go through, it would be devastating to the any possibility of a resurgence in the downtown area. Also, it would definitely make me think twice about relocating to Pittsburgh in the future. I currently do not drive by my own choice. I don't want the expense of owning and maintaining a vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh