Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Regardless of Westinghouse, that area was CRUSHED by that horrible school district merger. It was truly sinful what they did to those people that lived there. One thing for sure, if you are in an area that is discussing merging with a high crime area, sell your home as fast as you can. Talk about a huge drop in price. Imagine what Edgewood and Churchill would be like if they still had their schools in place. They would be wildly popular. Great locations to the East End and even Pittsburgh. What a shame that was. That judge should have been fired, but I am sure he is retired living off the taxpayers on some huge salary.
Edgewood has a different population now than it did back then, but I'm not sure I'd say it declined significantly. Those big old homes came back into style, and people like walking to Regent Square.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The best thing for Woodland Hills and Penn Hills now (and of course Wilkinsburg) would be if they merged into Pittsburgh Public Schools. All the school districts share similar demographics, and similar test scores. Being in PPS would allow parents access to city magnet options and the Pittsburgh Promise. It would also cut property taxes tremendously, which would be a big help to non parents - particularly retirees for whom the the city income tax carries no sting.

Last edited by eschaton; 02-11-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Edgewood has a different population now than it did back then, but I'm not sure I'd say it declined significantly. Those big old homes came back into style, and people like walking to Regent Square.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The best thing for Woodland Hills and East Hills now (and of course Wilkinsburg) would be if they merged into Pittsburgh Public Schools. All the school districts share similar demographics, and similar test scores. Being in PPS would allow parents access to city magnet options and the Pittsburgh Promise. It would also cut property taxes tremendously, which would be a big help to non parents - particularly retirees for whom the the city income tax carries no sting.
For a long time after the merger, Woodland Hills retained a robust roster of honors/AP courses and extracurricular activities. Through the very early '00s, it was a lot like Allderdice--aggregately "meh" test scores that represented a false median between academic and socioeconomic extremes. As it stands, Churchill Area and Edgewood definitely suffered net losses, but General Braddock undoubtedly reaped a net gain. For Turtle Creek and Swissvale Area, it's probably a wash.

When the District was released from federal supervision, a lot of funding dried up, and the offerings that catered to bright, high-achieving students were gradually scaled back. When I was doing my capstone creative nonfiction piece (the reason I originally joined C-D), I found that while there were quite a few competent and dedicated teachers and administrators, woeful mismanagement and revolving-door leadership made the sum far less than the parts.

My con law prof was actually part of the legal team that represented Swissvale Area SD. I won't get into the merits, but it was very interesting to share our experiences.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-11-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Agreeed. I think Churchill was pretty much the nicest Eastern burb in the 1970's until the merger hit. At the time, Murrysville was pretty far out. Churchill has Edgewood Country Club and at the time a ton of people (with very good jobs) worked for Westinghouse. Back then the parkway wasn't as bad as it is either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Regardless of Westinghouse, that area was CRUSHED by that horrible school district merger. It was truly sinful what they did to those people that lived there. One thing for sure, if you are in an area that is discussing merging with a high crime area, sell your home as fast as you can. Talk about a huge drop in price. Imagine what Edgewood and Churchill would be like if they still had their schools in place. They would be wildly popular. Great locations to the East End and even Pittsburgh. What a shame that was. That judge should have been fired, but I am sure he is retired living off the taxpayers on some huge salary.
I agree with both of these posts. Churchill was one of the best and brightest SDs in the Eastern Suburbs. Sad to see what it turned into.

Last edited by Copanut; 02-11-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Quote:
I don't think you realize just how nice Edgewood was back then. It definitely declined post merger. It has gotten nicer over the last 10 years but it still isn't back to where it was.

Back in the day people (non-residents) paid tuition to go to Edgewood schools.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
For a long time after the merger, Woodland Hills retained a robust roster of honors/AP courses and extracurricular activities.
I don't dispute that but at the same time a lot of kids were shipped off to private school as soon as the merger hit. I know I was bussed from Churchill to Squirrel Hill and every kid on the bus with me switched schools right when the merger hit. And this wasn't the only bus because my sister did the same thing but she rode a different bus to a different school.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I don't dispute that but at the same time a lot of kids were shipped off to private school as soon as the merger hit. I know I was bussed from Churchill to Squirrel Hill and every kid on the bus with me switched schools right when the merger hit. And this wasn't the only bus because my sister did the same thing but she rode a different bus to a different school.
I know many families panicked and pulled their kids out immediately. I'm only saying there was no reason to do on the basis of academics until the early '00s. Peer groups are something else entirely.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM

ElijahAstin, when you were looking into the Woodland Hills School District did you happen to find out how many kids from Churchill actually attend Woody High. Someone once told me the number once and it was such a small number it was hard to believe. Now this was 5-7 years ago so times may have changed.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
ElijahAstin, when you were looking into the Woodland Hills School District did you happen to find out how many kids from Churchill actually attend Woody High. Someone once told me the number once and it was such a small number it was hard to believe. Now this was 5-7 years ago so times may have changed.
Unfortunately, I never found that out. I'd imagine Churchill residents still disproportionately enroll in private schools, but that's probably starting to reverse.

There is American Community Survey data on the subject, but the margin of error is far too high to be helpful (e.g., an estimated 9 +/- 15 and 69 +/- 48 high school aged females respectively attend public and private schools).

Old 02-11-2015, 10:46 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
I don't think you realize just how nice Edgewood was back then. It definitely declined post merger. It has gotten nicer over the last 10 years but it still isn't back to where it was.

Back in the day people (non-residents) paid tuition to go to Edgewood schools.
It might not rank up there with Fox Chapel these days, but it's still an upper-middle class kind of place. One of my coworkers lives there, and everyone in his neighborhood that isn't elderly/lived there for decades is some kind of professional (doctor, lawyer, professor, etc).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It might not rank up there with Fox Chapel these days, but it's still an upper-middle class kind of place. One of my coworkers lives there, and everyone in his neighborhood that isn't elderly/lived there for decades is some kind of professional (doctor, lawyer, professor, etc).
Again not disputing it is nice these days but it was nicer back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh