Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Really, there are a lot of neighborhoods (and even a few suburbs) where car-free living is possible. I would rate Bloomfield and the Southside both above Squirrel Hill and Shadyside though. Bloomfield is probably the most well-connected neighborhood for public transit, and also has the most useful walking distance stores (think "post office and bank" vs "the GAP and Apple Store").

That's not to say that it would be difficult to live in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill without a car, though; I just think Bloomfield and the Southside have better amenities within walking distance, and that Bloomfield has the top public transit connections.
I have always thought that Sq. Hill is the most complete neighborhood. Ironically, when I lived there I didn't walk to many places. I also lived in Shadyside. I walked everywhere when I lived there. Now, things have changed. Shadyside is much nicer now. When I lived there we had Whole Foods, now there is so much more including Target.

I really think that your activities is what makes it hard to live without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have always thought that Sq. Hill is the most complete neighborhood. Ironically, when I lived there I didn't walk to many places. I also lived in Shadyside. I walked everywhere when I lived there. Now, things have changed. Shadyside is much nicer now. When I lived there we had Whole Foods, now there is so much more including Target.

I really think that your activities is what makes it hard to live without a car.
Don't look now, It's starting. Shadyside is taking over even more of East Liberty!

Squirrel Hill could definitely work. I would even say that it is a good option for car-free living, it's just not the best in my opinion. It's so big, you really have to pay attention to where in the neighborhood you end up living.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
quote=ferrarisnowday;20284533] It's so big, you really have to pay attention to where in the neighborhood you end up living.[/quote]

Totally agree.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM

110 posts, read 193,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If somone were moving to Pittsburgh and they didn't own a car, nor did they want to, would it be easy to live and work here without a car? Are there many people who live here who do not either have a car or if they do, don't use it? How extensive is public transit in the city?
and even if you need a car once every so often there is zip cars here is the link:Car Sharing, an alternative to car rental and car ownership – Zipcar and they pay for the gas it is included in the rental fee, so basically you can get by without a car and be happy in Pittsburgh, good luck

Old 08-02-2011, 05:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Wow. The responses are extremely varied here!

Would it be fare to say that whether or not you can live car free in certain parts of the city is largely Dependant on how you want to live? Where you want to go? Things you want to do?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:30 PM

295 posts, read 659,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Would it be fare to say that whether or not you can live car free in certain parts of the city is largely Dependant on how you want to live? Where you want to go? Things you want to do?
Freudian slip, or was it intentional?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM

89 posts, read 218,102 times
I've lived in Bloomfield for 3 years without a car--but, then, I'm a student who works and goes to school in Oakland (student ID serving as bus pass=best idea ever). A number of the older people I work with don't have cars, though. Some of them live farther out (Penn Hills, Regent Square, etc) and they seem to do fine.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM

55 posts, read 101,416 times
As others have mentioned, the ease of living without a car in Pittsburgh is going to depend on where you live, where you work, and what places you visit most often.

Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Lawerenceville, East Liberty, SouthSide, Bloomfield and Oakland all have grocery stores and other businesses within walking distance and are well connected with downtown. With the exception of the Target in East Liberty and the Macy's downtown, you'll probably need a bus in these neighborhoods to hit up a department store.

If you're trying to figure out if a particular neighborhood would work for you if you'll be using public transit, the Port Authority Website is a good tool to use:

Port Authority of Allegheny County > Home

Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Can you still take the street car to Sliberty?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
Yeah, catch 'at 88 car at Isaly's and it'll take ya out 'ere S'Liberty to the Gramophone Theater to watch 'em newsreels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh