Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 PM

472 posts, read 627,848 times

Advertisements

Yea.. Fox Chapel and O'hara are pretty interchangable... FC High School is in O'hara...FC Police and O'hara police are BOTH on FC road..ETC If you really want to get upset about people calling your neighborhood FC I'm sure there is some sort of support group you could talk to about it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,549,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Well, when I tell people I am from O'Hara Twp., many do not know where it is. When I say Fox Chapel, they tend to know "Oh yes, The Waterworks!" which is actually City Of Pittsburgh. No O'Hara is not Fox Chapel, but having lived here all of my life, the two are often used interchangeably. O"Hara borders Fox Chapel on it's east, west, and south sides, and driving through the municipalities, it is common to go through O'Hara, then Fox Chapel, then O'Hara, then Fox Chapel. Fox Chapel has hire taxes and is more exclusive, of course, but there are plenty of expensive homes in O'Hara too. O'Hara also has subdivisions that resemble much of Penn Hills, which is obviosly something not found it Fox Chapel. Fox Chapel subdivisons seem to have more natural wooded areas around them, whereas much of the wooded areas were cleared in many parts of O'Hara. So, generically, O'Hara is Fox Chapel, but not realistically. Comprende?

I do not want any Fox Chapel residents to have a nervous breakdown over my post. I remember Saturday Night Live spoofing Beverly Hills 90210. The characters of 90210 were all having a meltdown over the plan to change the zip code to 90215 or something like that, which would have put them in with some residents of West Hollywood and other areas. Even the mere thought of being looped in with the less priveledged had them all going ballistic. "I CAN'T TAKE THIS! WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO! lol

There is a huge difference between O'Hara and Fox Chapel. I think the taxes are actually lower in Fox Chapel than in O'hara. There are a few areas of O'Hara that are as nice as Fox Chapel. Basically, up towards the Forest. Most of the rest of O'Hara is more upper middle classe or middle class. There are some scattered houses in Fox Chapel that are for people that have to live in Fox Chapel but really can't afford it. For them it is important to say they live in Fox Chapel. These are behind the VA, and some scattered ranches and and multi levels throught Fox Chapel. Unless you want one of these you probably have to spend around 500,000 to get into Fox Chapel. However, there are always exceptions. You definitely get more bang for your buck in O'Hara. Especially, the John Hobart Miller houses off of Dorseyville Road. Great houses that are under 500,000 but the location isn't the greatest. Houses are much cheaper, in my opinion, if they feed to Kerr.

Most people don't know where O'Hara is. Since the school district is called Fox Chapel Area School district, most people Recognize "Fox Chapel". The Waterworks if a pretty big shopping center so people recognize it too.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM

So much relevant information about the child abuse case. Does anyone actually give a shHHHHHH about the intricicies of fc and o'hara.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 AM

15 posts, read 38,690 times
Looked up the story. Geez, it would make a great movie. Both were indicted on 6 counts for child abuse/neglect. They appealed and lost on Jan 3, 2011. The kids are still in New York and doing very well in public school. Yaw wanted them moved to an in-laws family. NY judge denied the request. I can't find anything after that. I'd love to know if the Yaw lost his license to practice.

Also- I find this whole Fox Chapel thing and the posters reason and rant to be hysterical. Dude- Fox Chapel is so over. We spent 9 months looking in "the borough" and that was two years ago and many of the homes we looked at are still on the market today. Overpriced and old. No wants to buy a 500k house or more that is falling apart and fix it up. Oh and the way our realtor talked about how great FC is and the way the women were at the newcomers group was unbelievable. To them being in FC was clearly the pinnacle point in their lives. Have they been anywhere else to compare? We were coming from a substantially wealthier town then any place in western Pa or all of Pa for that matter and whenever I hear someone say FC is old money. I want to laugh in their face. To say you actually don't own up to living in FC is hysterical. Really? You get that much flak for being all uppity cuz you live in a place that pretty much offers nothing? Really? Talk about delusional. The playgrounds are terrible, the library is disgusting and the golf clubs are filled with useless women who dress like hookers. (Seriously, what is up with the clothing FC ladies?). That Waterworks area is also disgusting and crime ridden. The only good thing about FC and in particular the "borough" is Fairview Elementary. That's it. If you feel weird about telling people were you live because you get some kind of response then this must be about the whole Pittsburgh "uppity" thing that goes on here that is plain redic. Living in FC and or any town in western pa is nothing to brag about or be shy about admitting. By your even saying you tell people you live elsewhere instead of FC is messed up. FC is a dump. I feel bad for you.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM

haha. did FC not call you back after you took her on a nice date?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,049,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwater View Post
FC is a dump.
Hence the reason I avoid talking about where I live. People treat you different and go on attack mode. They try and tell you how successful they are, etc, or they put your town down and say it is horrible and filled with uppity people.

Thank you for proving my point. You made it easy for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM

15 posts, read 38,690 times
Really?? I proved what point? That you lie about where you live because YOU think that EVERYONE else thinks that FC is the balls. They don't. I simply pointed out that it's not and never will be again. It's hay day was about 25 years ago and yes...it really is a dump now. Get the chip off your shoulder. Anyone who lies about where they come from really needs a reality check or needs to move. It's in YOUR head that people will treat you differently because you tell them you live in FC and if they do then they are in the same ignorant class of people in pittsburgh who do in fact dislike anyone who wants to better themselves because that would be all "Uppity".

And irishvan- I'm a chick - Hence the newcomers remark. Men can't be in that club.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwater View Post
..it really is a dump now. Get the chip off your shoulder.
Average sale price in Fox Chapel is over $560K.
Average income? $182K.

Seems if you call it a dump, you might have the chip. Not I. This kind of thing is what I encounter much of the time.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,730,735 times
This thread is getting hilarious really quickly, keep up the good work guys!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
This thread is getting hilarious really quickly, keep up the good work guys!
Thanks. It is fun to throw out such a crazy statistic about income and home value. What makes it even more funny, is it is actually true. Ouch. It is a dump though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh