Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

My father was transferred here before I started elementary school.

I don't have the dreaded Pittsburgh accent. I rarely hear people speak that way.

I guess I'm not really a native Pittsburgher since I was raised by liberal minded transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
How many times has this question been asked on this forum? LOL

I have answered why I moved a few other times in other threads, so you can search if you want to. I'm too tired to type this morning.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
We haven't moved yet, but are seriously going to do it Spring 2013 once I finish grad school in Seattle.

Reasons: "Pittsburgh promise" for kids (ie. help w/ college tuition after HS), more house for your dollar, beautiful architecture, neighborhood life/diversity (like Seattle -- which I love), personable people w/ strong local family bonds (investment in community), parks/trails/river/outdoor activities, proximity to big cities of the East coast, proximity to VA/NC beaches (I'm originally from NC), strong arts/culture, coffee shops w/ wi-fi, dog parks, independent stores, great library system, festivals, 4 seasons (miss vibrant Fall colors), lots of universities in Pittsburgh & throughout state, top-notch museums, Phipps Conservatory, National Aviary, the inclines, hilly w/ views, sports events for my family, interesting American history, lots of hospitals, and probably a lot of stuff I'm forgetting. Also, my husband has family there, we would both have no problem finding jobs in our fields, and my parents AND in-laws would follow us there. I'm hoping that the number of bike trails & public transportation eventually improves, but am glad there are groups there actively working for this.

A move is a huge commitment & we've done a lot of research. Pittsburgh really is a great mid-sized city in which to raise children.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:26 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
My husband and I were living in Seattle area as he was completing his final orders with the military. He was deployed and we were trying to figure out where we would settle upon his retirement. I loved Seattle but he barely was able to experience it due to constant deployments. We eliminated it and the west coast as all our family was on the east coast. We considered Florida eliminated due to hurricane risk. I had no desire to return to my home state of Virginia. We decided on central PA due to more employement options for dh that would utilize his military experience. However the more I researched the Harrisburg area the more I felt it was not a good fit.

He was still deployed when I said "How about Pittsburgh". It was his hometown but he had been gone for 28 years. His mother, brother and other family were still here. So on a total leap of faith we headed this way (without any jobs) after his retirement. We both landed jobs within a month of being here. Then the following year he landed another position that doubled his salary.

No regrets--I really love the area. We both work in Butler County and live north of the city but are able to enjoy all the wonders of the city with a 20-30 minute drive. I do get antsy in March as Winter is 2 months 2 long for me--but otherwise no complaints. (well the rabid Steelers fans are a little much but as a Ravens fan I love being a deviant)

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
How many times has this question been asked on this forum? LOL

I have answered why I moved a few other times in other threads, so you can search if you want to. I'm too tired to type this morning.
Thats understandable lol, I apologize.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I know this has been done before, but every time we get some different people participating, so I'm cool with repeating the exercise periodically.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
My grandfather originally moved to Canonsburg to pursue a challenging career in bituminous extraction in 1908.

He later moved to Etna when he heard of fast track positions that were opening up at the Isabella Furnace of US Steel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh