Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

‪Bus Shooting Philly Bus Stopped. Rear Door Opened and Gunman Opened Fire‬‏ - YouTube

After watching this from Philly and having that bus driver stabbed in Pittsburgh, I know I won't allow my family to ride the bus anymore. I just don't think it is a safe way to get anywhere. It is really sad what happened in both cities recently and no doubt will have a negative effect on people who ride on busses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
You always run some risk of something occurring regardless of what mode of transport you opt to take. If you're not on the one bus out of a zillion that is targeted by a lunatic you could be on the one plane out of a zillion that crashes or the one train out of a zillion that derails and flips over. You could be the one passenger vehicle out of a zillion that is hit head-on by a drunk driver. You could be the one cyclist out of a zillion that hits a pothole and flips off his or her bike right in front of a vehicle.

Incidents like this won't deter me from using public transportation. I rode the Metrorail in DC on Halloween while cross-dressed as a cat lady in a pink robe without incident (not surprisingly given the materialism in that area just about everyone else was dressed as characters from Jersey Shore).

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Buy a gun. Get a license to carry. Shoot anyone that tries to hurt you. Problem solved.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Urban crime is at it's lowest level in forty years so unless you plan going back in time and riding a bus in 1974, I think that you'll be OK. You're still in way more danger driving a car on the parkway. Over 800 people died in car crashes in Allegheny County in the last decade, how many died due to violence on a public bus?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Urban crime is at it's lowest level in forty years so unless you plan going back in time and riding a bus in 1974, I think that you'll be OK. You're still in way more danger driving a car on the parkway. Over 800 people died in car crashes in Allegheny County in the last decade, how many died due to violence on a public bus?
Good point. That video sure is shocking, but not that surprising. We just had that stabbing a few weeks ago. Such a different kind of thing to ride a bus in our region compared to Northern Europe.

Imagine what kind of person that women must be to call her friends to shoot up a bus. Sure are interesting people out there. Pretty gross, and she has a little kid herself, who will no doubt be a teen in the prison system growing up like that. What a shame and I hope that kid is taken away from her. Anywhere would be a better place.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

‪Bus Shooting Philly Bus Stopped. Rear Door Opened and Gunman Opened Fire‬‏ - YouTube

After watching this from Philly and having that bus driver stabbed in Pittsburgh, I know I won't allow my family to ride the bus anymore. I just don't think it is a safe way to get anywhere. It is really sad what happened in both cities recently and no doubt will have a negative effect on people who ride on busses.
You can very well get carjacked. Trains can derail. Airlines, well you know what can happen there. The point is anything can happen anywhere.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
OMG! You're the type of person who probably wouldn't let your children outside if saw one episode of Nancy Grace.

Decades ago, you would have never seen the video of the Philly bus. You're letting yourself get sucked in by technology.

24 hour media makes people think the world is more dangerous now. The coverage and information wasn't at your finger tips back then.

These random incidents do not mean the world is unsafe! I thought you were smarter than this, curtis!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Yep, modern media gives people extremely inaccurate impressions of relative risks. For example, the many fatal traffic accidents each year tend not to get the same coverage as incidents like this, and in fact that is partially because they are so much more common they aren't considered as newsworthy.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! You're the type of person who probably wouldn't let your children outside if saw one episode of Nancy Grace.
Can we shoot Nancy Grace please? She's hurting everyone!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Can we shoot Nancy Grace please? She's hurting everyone!

Amen to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh