Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
parking is also a useful way to buffer pedestrians from street traffic so they don't feel like they are walking on the side of a highway...BRT notwithstanding. I tend to like the idea of two lanes on one street with center island platforms but this would require buses to run in opposite lanes than normal and might be too expensive versus curbside pickup. we shall see.
Something like the railing along the bus lane on Fifth in Oakland could be installed to help with that. Or even something like the flower pots along Ft. Pitt Blvd.

Last edited by ferraris; 08-10-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 01:55 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Something like the railing along the bus lane on Fifth in Oakland could be installed to help with that. Or even something like the flower pots along Ft. Pitt Blvd.
parking is more effective since it literally adds space between the cars and the pedestrians...and it usually has its fans. a compromise might be to eliminate parking only during peak hours. usually people who live somewhere (or own a business) support the parking while people who drive through do not.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
parking is more effective since it literally adds space between the cars and the pedestrians...and it usually has its fans. a compromise might be to eliminate parking only during peak hours. usually people who live somewhere (or own a business) support the parking while people who drive through do not.
Eliminating it during rush hour like a lot of the downtown streets do would probably be quite effective.

A row of parked cars will offer more protection in crash probably, but I think in terms of just general feel, it's not much different to have a railing or cement divider. And it's certainly a lot nicer to have flower pots or trees.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:00 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Another alternative to parking lanes for car/pedestrian separation is bike lanes.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Can we get rid of parking on beechwood between 376 and the waterfront too? thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
That would make way too much sense.

Most of those houses have driveways too so parking really isn't needed. However, backing out would be a nightmare.
Is traffic that bad on that stretch of Beechwood? And quite a lot of houses along that stretch don't have driveways, so where would those people put their cars?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
Eliminating it during rush hour like a lot of the downtown streets do would probably be quite effective.

A row of parked cars will offer more protection in crash probably, but I think in terms of just general feel, it's not much different to have a railing or cement divider. And it's certainly a lot nicer to have flower pots or trees.
a cement divider is usually a poor fit for a city street though and would probably contribute, rather than detract from, the feeling of walking alongside a highway. landscaping is nice, and can be used in addition to parking/bike lanes, etc. Frequently, what is needed at rush hour isn't necessarily what is needed at nights or on weekends. I would imagine part of the goal is to redevelop this area into something more than a highway between downtown and oakland.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM

264 posts, read 492,198 times
Most of the traffic you're experiencing on Fifth right now is due to all of the ramp and bridge closures on the Crosstown. People who would normally use the Boulevard to get to the Liberty Bridge now use Fifth. Then there are people who use Center Ave to get to the Liberty Bridge (like me), and we also get funneled onto Fifth now due to the Center Ave bridge closure over 579.

Aside from nights with events at Consol or Duquesne, traffic usually flows pretty freely down Fifth into the city. I blame most of the recent traffic woes on the construction, hopefully it gets better soon.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:59 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Can we get rid of parking on beechwood between 376 and the waterfront too? thanks.
The Beechwood Blvd./Browns Hill/Hazelwood Ave. intersection is an absolute MESS. If I had the free reign to do so, I'd recenter that intersection right about where the Sunoco gas station is. The problem is that you have so many local arterial roads converging in one place (two directions of Beechwood, Browns Hill, Hazelwood, and Murray and Greenfield by way of Hazelwood. I can't say how many times I've ridden through the intersection that I've seen or been on a bus that runs the light there.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Yesteray, while The Batman was ruining my commute, I noticed just how much space parked cares take up on Fifth and Forbes in uptown. Removing parking on those streets could easily allow for another lane or two to be added along these roads, which are quite prone to rush hour traffic. Hopefully the commission studying rapid bus transit between downtown and Oakland will come to a similar conclusion and add a bus lane.

There are plenty of businesses and residences uptown that need that parking. And if the area revitalizes, they'll even be more need for the people to have spaces to park their transportation.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And quite a lot of houses along that stretch don't have driveways, so where would those people put their cars?
Don't you know those people should have known what a congested free-for-all their artery would have become once the Waterfront was developed before they bought their homes there? If you think parking is bad there try crossing the street. I will be adjacent to the pedestrian crossing sign trying to step into traffic only to have to wait usually 5-10 minutes to get a decent enough break in traffic to safely cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: