Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM

118 posts, read 235,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
It's pretty much the same I've just reevaluated certian hoods due to what I belevie is the current magnitude of gang-drug related crimes/"badness" of the area... But any way here it is:
-Heres a list of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas to avoid living in or traveling through @ night (weather alone or in a pair) because of gang related/drug related crime. Some may avoid walking in these areas in the day due to personal standards, but just use street smarts if you do... *Note the main business streets/avenues are often safe...*(categorized for Pittsburgh standards not Chicago's where they have 1.5 killings every day)

Very, Very Bad! High element of deep seeded gang activity which is present to everyone in Pittsburgh. Bullets fly around withot names on them!
Homewood South (especially Formosa Way)
Homewood North (especially Molher Projects)
Homewood West
Terrace Village (especially Elmore Square & Bentley Drive but excluding Oak Hill)
Bedford Dwellings (especially Chauncey Drive)
Middle Hill
Northview Heights
Allegheny Dwellings Projects, Fineview
Most of Duquesne, PA (south of train tracks/Parkview Estates)
Most of East Hills (mainly Wilner, Park Hill & East Hills Drive Projects)
Larimer (especially the Auburn Projects)
Parts of Wilkinsburg, PA (Central Wilkinsburg= Franklin, Park Triangle, Hunter Park, the High School Area, Princeton Park & part of Sperling)
Most of McKeesport, PA (central area= the wards from downtown/the river to North Grandview Avenue/Patterson Street)
Beltzhoover
Knoxville (especially Upper Knoxville)
Most of Mt. Oliver, PA (Mt Oliver Borough)

Very bad! High elements of gang/drug/criminal activity...
Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar (especially Lower Lincoln)
Garfield (Broad Street/Dearborn Street and up)
Most of Hazelwood (south of Hazelwood Avenue)
Glen Hazel
Homestead, PA (excluding the Waterfront)
Smidgen of West Homestead, PA (area adjacent to Homestead-west of Forest Avenue)
Most of Clairton, PA (south of the tracks-mainly east of 7th Street-east of Vankirk Alley/Soltis Drive Projects)
MonView Heights & West Mifflin Estates, West Mifflin, PA
Parts of Penn Hills, PA (most of what's southwest of Coal Hollow Road=Lincoln Park, Eastwood, Laketown Heights & Hulton Arbors/Leechburg Gardens/Solter Townhomes)
Allentown
Arlington (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Part of Crawford Roberts Hill (only the areas north/west of Bedford Ave & east/southeast of Heldman Parklet)

Bad, yet not that bad in comparison... Elements of gang/drug/criminal activity mainly present to residents [yet usually only effects the dealers and users]:
Perry South (all but a few small safe quiet pockets)
Part of Manchester ("Upper Manchester", north of Liverpool Street)
Californa-Kirkbride (Mainly the Calbride Place area)
Three Rivers Manor, Spring Hill
Most of Marshall-Shadeland (mainly most of the area south of Young Park)
Most of Braddock, PA (mainly north of Braddock Avenue)
Part of North Braddock, PA (south of the Braddock & Monongalhela Cemeteries)
Part of Swissvale, PA (mainly east of the busway- south of Columbia Avenue & west of the busway-south of Washington Ave)
Rankin, PA (especially Hawkins Village & Palisades Plaza)
Greenway Projects, Crafton Heights
Part of Sheraden (mainly the area east of Sheraden park-west of Narcissus Avenue)
Most of Carrick (mainly most of the area west of Brownsville Road-north of Agnew Avenue)
Parts of East Liberty (East Liberty Gardens/area north of East Liberty Boulevard & Penn Plaza)
Parts of McKees Rocks, PA (mainly Hays Manor, Myres & Ridge Apartments & the Projects off Rangers Field)

Not too bad (but still bad)-"Edgy"... Lower elements of gang-drug crew activity, but criminal activity that typically effects the dealers and users involved.
Part of Central Northside ("HoodTown", north of Jacksonia Street & west of Federal Street)
Part of South Oakland (most of the area south of the Boulevard of the Allies-east of Bates Street)
What's left of Arlington Heights
What's left of Fairywood (Emerald Gardens excluded)
Part of East Allegheny (only "East Dutchtown", east of the highway)
Parts of North Versailles, PA ("Crestas Terrace" area/Rolling Woods Estates, Eastland Apartments, Cliffview Gardens, & Parkledge Apartments)
Leland Pointe Apartments, Baldwin, PA

Uptown, what's your take on East Liberty? People keep saying how great it is. I understand the re-development, etc. But I don't see how anyone can recommend it if you don't have a vehicle and have to walk at night. Garfield is right over the hill. Larimer is on the other side. That area by where the kid got shot on North St. Claire isn't the best. It's not horrible, but some people on here act like there's nothing to worry about. What group(s) run that square between negley, stanton, highland, and east liberty blvd. and what streets should people avoid?

Thanks......I enjoy your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclan View Post
This is silly. Pittsburgh is the safest city in America. All of these neighborhhoods are simply beautiful. I feel perfectly safe anywhere in this region. Now philadelphia is another story!

Yeah, it's a safe city by big city standards. The topic isn't silly if you're thinking of investing in the area. Great, you work there then go home. Congratulations.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
[quote]Uptown, what's your take on East Liberty? People keep saying how great it is. I understand the re-development, etc. But I don't see how anyone can recommend it if you don't have a vehicle and have to walk at night. Garfield is right over the hill. Larimer is on the other side. That area by where the kid got shot on North St. Claire isn't the best. It's not horrible, but some people on here act like there's nothing to worry about. What group(s) run that square between negley, stanton, highland, and east liberty blvd. and what streets should people avoid?[quote]

I think we share the right idea, I mean it's bad there are: shootings, gang activity, & high levels drug activity/crime/prostitution still going on in most of the area north of East Libert Blvd; but then agian it's still not that bad compared to near by Larimer, Lincoln, & Garfield... Plus overall the area is improving, the shootings on North St. Clair are just minor set backs.

Also, even in their hay day of the mid 90's street gangs in East Lib were never as notable as the rival Garfield blood sets & Larimer Avenue Hoods... Back in the day the 51st Street Curb Crips & Aiken Ave Crips claimed the bulk of East Liberty, while some of the towers had independent drug dealers & Larimer Ave Hoods.
To my knowledge in the 2000's the So Icey Boyz who fly black & white, but affiliate themselves as crips, formed and at least controlled all of East Liberty north of the Bvld. If I'm right they still claim not only the square, but the rest of northern East Lib. With the whole gentrification thing the So Icey Boyz might not still claim a hold on their turf so maybe a few hybrid gangs/d-boy clicks are running a muck... Perhaps that's how the young brotha got his wig split on North St. Clair St ./?
Anyway IMO it's bad, yet not too bad in comparison, plus the bad part is getting better (not East Liberty Gardens or Penn Plaza though) & the gang culture has never been as notable or distinctive has G-Field, the East Hills Projects, Homewood, Lincoln, Wilkinsburg or Larimer...

BTW speagles84 I added the Parkford Apartments to the map & will add it to the list [bottom part though] for future reference

Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclan View Post
East liberty is one the safest neighborhood in Pittsburgh at the moment. There are a lot of great things happining there. I work there, I highly recommened.
Yes, correct. East Liberty is a phenominal neighborhood! Have a family and kids there, retire there.... Come on...

It is NOWHERE near the safest neighborhood in Pittsburgh. Try anything south of route 51 or half of the west end... that the overall safest neighborhoods in the city.

I wouldn't say East Liberty is outright dangerous, but it is farrrr from very safe as you described.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:03 PM

[quote=Uptown kid;23762515][quote]Uptown, what's your take on East Liberty? People keep saying how great it is. I understand the re-development, etc. But I don't see how anyone can recommend it if you don't have a vehicle and have to walk at night. Garfield is right over the hill. Larimer is on the other side. That area by where the kid got shot on North St. Claire isn't the best. It's not horrible, but some people on here act like there's nothing to worry about. What group(s) run that square between negley, stanton, highland, and east liberty blvd. and what streets should people avoid?
Quote:

I think we share the right idea, I mean it's bad there are: shootings, gang activity, & high levels drug activity/crime/prostitution still going on in most of the area north of East Libert Blvd; but then agian it's still not that bad compared to near by Larimer, Lincoln, & Garfield... Plus overall the area is improving, the shootings on North St. Clair are just minor set backs.

Also, even in their hay day of the mid 90's street gangs in East Lib were never as notable as the rival Garfield blood sets & Larimer Avenue Hoods... Back in the day the 51st Street Curb Crips & Aiken Ave Crips claimed the bulk of East Liberty, while some of the towers had independent drug dealers & Larimer Ave Hoods.
To my knowledge in the 2000's the So Icey Boyz who fly black & white, but affiliate themselves as crips, formed and at least controlled all of East Liberty north of the Bvld. If I'm right they still claim not only the square, but the rest of northern East Lib. With the whole gentrification thing the So Icey Boyz might not still claim a hold on their turf so maybe a few hybrid gangs/d-boy clicks are running a muck... Perhaps that's how the young brotha got his wig split on North St. Clair St ./?
Anyway IMO it's bad, yet not too bad in comparison, plus the bad part is getting better (not East Liberty Gardens or Penn Plaza though) & the gang culture has never been as notable or distinctive has G-Field, the East Hills Projects, Homewood, Lincoln, Wilkinsburg or Larimer...

BTW speagles84 I added the Parkford Apartments to the map & will add it to the list [bottom part though] for future reference
Oh okay nice. I wouldn't compare the area to some of the city hoods but I thought it should definetely make the list.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:05 PM

[quote]Oh okay nice. I wouldn't compare the area to some of the city hoods but I thought it should definetely make the list.[quote]
I was replying to intrested burgher for most of that post... but yes I see your point

Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 PM

[quote=Uptown kid;23768656][quote]Oh okay nice. I wouldn't compare the area to some of the city hoods but I thought it should definetely make the list.
Quote:
I was replying to intrested burgher for most of that post... but yes I see your point
I actually wasn't talking about your post. I was talking to the person who said East Liberty is one of the safest city neighborhoods.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM

[quote]I actually wasn't talking about your post. I was talking to the person who said East Liberty is one of the safest city neighborhoods.[quote]

Oh

Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM

[quote=Uptown kid;23762515][quote]Uptown, what's your take on East Liberty? People keep saying how great it is. I understand the re-development, etc. But I don't see how anyone can recommend it if you don't have a vehicle and have to walk at night. Garfield is right over the hill. Larimer is on the other side. That area by where the kid got shot on North St. Claire isn't the best. It's not horrible, but some people on here act like there's nothing to worry about. What group(s) run that square between negley, stanton, highland, and east liberty blvd. and what streets should people avoid?
Quote:

That being said, what is your take on Highland Park?

Also, do you see much crossover into the area north of East Liberty Blvd. by the Larimer and Garfield gangs. I've seen a lot of red on Negley lately.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

[quote]That being said, what is your take on Highland Park?

Also, do you see much crossover into the area north of East Liberty Blvd. by the Larimer and Garfield gangs. I've seen a lot of red on Negley lately.[quote]

I mean it's not all about the colors anymore... You'll even sometime see a click of inner city youth or posse of thugs/gangsters who are chillin/walking in X or Y area and perhaps at least one in the group will be wearing a rival neighborhoods color's hat/shirt/hoodie. Although personally, I have a philosophy to be weary of gang colors in *most neighborhoods on the list, paticularly at night.
In Pittsburgh crip sets fly blue, black, white. Blood sets fly red, orange, black, white, & other gangs either fly black & white or white & black. Some other gangs will fly green, occasional red, baby blue, or dark purple, and so on & so forth...*
To me the gang culture in NYC-Jersey-Philly is more of a free for all, but one could argue that it's more organized. Either way "taboo flag'n" & "trip setting": Folks, MLDs, BGDs, BDGs, 4CHs, 5 Percenters, Grapes, OG Crips, Rollin HMC's, Rollin 60s, Hoover's, SMM, Brims, 9Treys, G-Shynes, UBA Bloods/Pirus, Trins, Latin Kings, Sur13s, Netas, LGF's, LGR's, DDPs, CDTO's DTO's, MDTO's, Trinatarios, JPs, 3ni's, 1090 G'z, YGz & YBz make NYC-Jersey-Philly so dangerous...

Negley (both technically & unofficially) has been/will always be the border between G-field & East Lib, but I wouldn't say boudries/presence are being shifted because there's more of one color. Though graffiti wise a building on Negley Ave by the Blvd is tagged "Garfield", yet that's been there for at least two yrs now maybe even six..
-Highland Park is one of the city's nicest areas! Overall it's diverse & safe. Though HP south of Wellesley Avenue had some safety issues from 2008-2010 & was what I consider "iffy"... Like similar to the level of Uptown, West Oakland by the Hill, southern Brighton Heights, Elliot, or SE Mt. Washington today.
Though now days' it's pretty safe, but southern HP probably has more action than northern HP...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh